Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Bacon and sausage

Wikiposts

Bacon and sausage

Old Apr 30th 2011, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

giuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nice
Default Bacon and sausage

Hi all,
Just found a site for British products shipped direct to Italy like Hp sauce, PG tips, mustard, custard powder, etc but unfortunately they don't deliver sausage and bacon to Italy
only to France!
As my daughter is pregnant she has got a craving for sausage!!!
Anyone know a site that delivers to Italy!

Thanks
Old May 1st 2011, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Bacon and sausage

Originally Posted by giuliana
Hi all,
Just found a site for British products shipped direct to Italy like Hp sauce, PG tips, mustard, custard powder, etc but unfortunately they don't deliver sausage and bacon to Italy
only to France!
As my daughter is pregnant she has got a craving for sausage!!!
Anyone know a site that delivers to Italy!

Thanks
What's wrong with Italian sausages? Am I terribly unpatriotic if I say that in general they're far better than British ones?
As for bacon, I agree.
Old May 2nd 2011, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

giuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nicegiuliana is just really nice

Can't beat wee willy winkie's and Hp
Italian sausage is too fatty for me.
Anyway ordered 20kg of food from http://www.britishcornershop.co.uk
so let you know how I get along.
By the way they send prepaked bacon, but no sausage
Old May 2nd 2011, 10:30 am
Banned

6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I will send you sausages if you send me Sicilian sausages back!

Having had 4 months near Catania eating the Sicilian version I cannot eat the UK ones any longer - Send me a message and I will send you over whatever you need -

kenny
Old May 2nd 2011, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by 6monthshere6monthsthere
Hi,

I will send you sausages if you send me Sicilian sausages back!

Having had 4 months near Catania eating the Sicilian version I cannot eat the UK ones any longer - Send me a message and I will send you over whatever you need -

kenny
I'm glad someone agrees with me about sausages. Of course there are certain things we continue to miss, like a good pint of bitter or a pork pie (if it's a good one) or a Cornish pasty (again if it's a good one), but I can't understand missing baked beans when you can eat a good dish of pasta e fagioli. There are so many legume-based dishes in Italy and if you get used to them you won't miss Heinz baked.
Old May 3rd 2011, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

Angeldimana will become famous soon enoughAngeldimana will become famous soon enough

I think its a matter of taste.

In the UK its what were used to and its hard to find similar sausages and bacon over here. And weve tried.
Our local Lidl store had some sausages that were pretty similar but quite grissly in comparison.
We did find something that looked just like UK bacon but when we got it home it was just thinly sliced and unsalted pork.

I had a look at the website link to the company who send over to Italy but their prices seemed very expensive.
IMO a better idea maybe to shop online with Asda or Tesco and send to a friend or relatives or get them to buy it for you locally and then use a carrier comparison / booking company like parcel2go or parcel monkey to arrange delivery over here.
Old May 3rd 2011, 3:28 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Why can't you go to a butcher with livestock and tell them exactly how you like your sausage?
Old May 3rd 2011, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

I have several packs of UK sausages in our freezer which OH brought on his frequent trips from the UK, but can not bear to cook them as I have gone off the taste and they might be too old now.
Sometimes OH makes a full English breakfast for us( once in a blue moon), but I never have them, they seem full of soya and herbs and no meat.
On the other hand, the Italian sausages are only 3/4 types, with lardy bits in them and tons of salt. Maybe I need to find a good butcher?
I still remember the yummy sausages I used to buy from Millets Farm in Oxforshire, an amazing choice of flavours.
Old May 3rd 2011, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Don't agree about Heinz beans Jonwel, they are the best
I will be having them with my bacon when it arrives as I have ordered 12 tins
I'm not keen on italian sausage too fatty and gristly. Did find bacon in Lidl but it's very thin and streaky although beggars can't be choosers
I eat italian everyday and being a cook I'm quite good at cooking but occasionally you do feel like something different
Can't wait for my parcel so I can have a cup of PG tips and a mr Kipling almond slice!!!or maybe a slice of malt bread!
Ordered crumpets too!
Old May 3rd 2011, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

giodafa will become famous soon enoughgiodafa will become famous soon enough

oohh crumpets
Old May 3rd 2011, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Crumpets? Now you're talking!

Another thing that comes to mind is double cream! When we go to GB, the first thing my Italian wife does is buy some double cream, to hell with worries about cholesterol...
Old May 4th 2011, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

What about picallilli ????
Ordered 2 jars
Old May 4th 2011, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by giuliana
What about picallilli ????
Ordered 2 jars
I found a recipe for piccalilli and it turned out quite well!
Old May 4th 2011, 1:24 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonwel
I found a recipe for piccalilli and it turned out quite well!
Will you share? I can buy it in Turin, but it is so dear.
Old May 4th 2011, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 37100
Will you share? I can buy it in Turin, but it is so dear.
Hmm... This was some years ago! I had the Delia Smith recipe for piccalilli on my computer, but I've just hunted high and low and not found it. However, if you google it you should find something.

Some products can be found in Chinese or Filipino shops: peanut butter at a decent price, HP sauce, PG Tips and custard powder. I've found all these in Milan. I'll repeat what I said in an earlier post: Egyptian shops, usually butchers, sell a decent Kenya tea (loose, not T-bags) at a low price (I've paid as little as €1.50 for 250 g). The make is "El Arosa". It's a fine almost powdery tea but makes a good cuppa. You need a teapot though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.