Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Anyone work in the Adventure/Sport/Leisure industry?

Anyone work in the Adventure/Sport/Leisure industry?

Old Jan 8th 2010, 4:29 pm
Banned

Cooler_King has much to be proud ofCooler_King has much to be proud ofCooler_King has much to be proud ofCooler_King has much to be proud ofCooler_King has much to be proud ofCooler_King has much to be proud ofCooler_King has much to be proud ofCooler_King has much to be proud ofCooler_King has much to be proud ofCooler_King has much to be proud ofCooler_King has much to be proud of
Default Anyone work in the Adventure/Sport/Leisure industry?

This is just a quick thread to see how many people who have emigrated to Italy have successfully worked as

Snowboard/Ski instructors
Hill Walking Guides
Gym Instructor / Personal Trainer
Mountain Bike Tour Operators
Rock Climbing/Via Ferratta Instructors

Or other similar type of outdoor sporting profession.

Has anyone on here made a living doing any of the above? I don't just mean for a single season but to have actually emigrated to Italia and carved out a career for themselves.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone work in the Adventure/Sport/Leisure industry?

Hi and welcome...

NO sorry I have not I am to fat
Old Jan 8th 2010, 7:36 pm
Banned

Cooler_King has much to be proud ofCooler_King has much to be proud ofCooler_King has much to be proud ofCooler_King has much to be proud ofCooler_King has much to be proud ofCooler_King has much to be proud ofCooler_King has much to be proud ofCooler_King has much to be proud ofCooler_King has much to be proud ofCooler_King has much to be proud ofCooler_King has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mr Posh
Hi and welcome...

NO sorry I have not I am to fat
lol fair enough
Old Jan 8th 2010, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

Nuvoletta is an unknown quantity at this point

I worked in the bike industry for a number of years. We moved to the Reggio area a couple of years ago with plans to set up a business doing guided MTB holidays. The problem we have had so far has been the lack of co-operation from the local tourist industry here... Hotels that close at the end of August... restaurants that are never willing to accept big groups and a lethargy that beggars belief! Oh and the credit crunch....At the moment we are struggling to get thing's moving and are trying to find a reason to stay...

The local area is amazing... but it does seem that this area has an affliction to making money and opening up to tourists from the 'outside world'!

So in answer to your question... no, I don't know of anybody that has made a living doing any of the above... But if you have any idea's of how we can get the locals to get the idea that money is not a bad thing.... then feel free to let me know.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 10:16 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Nuvoletta
I worked in the bike industry for a number of years. We moved to the Reggio area a couple of years ago with plans to set up a business doing guided MTB holidays. The problem we have had so far has been the lack of co-operation from the local tourist industry here... Hotels that close at the end of August... restaurants that are never willing to accept big groups and a lethargy that beggars belief! Oh and the credit crunch....At the moment we are struggling to get thing's moving and are trying to find a reason to stay...

The local area is amazing... but it does seem that this area has an affliction to making money and opening up to tourists from the 'outside world'!

So in answer to your question... no, I don't know of anybody that has made a living doing any of the above... But if you have any idea's of how we can get the locals to get the idea that money is not a bad thing.... then feel free to let me know.
I have no idea, it is just an avenue that is open to me with adventurous qualifications.

My wife lived in Sauze for 2 years and she mentioned the locals might be frightened of the Polizia/Guardia Di Finanzia who check businesses for rigourous practice of giving tickets (whatever that means!)

Are they shunning groups because they might get their collars felt?
Old Jan 9th 2010, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

asik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really nice

I know an Italian guy who is a professor in Scienze motorie and has tonns of other qualifications including the top one in rock climbing but he still have to have a part-time job to pay the bills. Not sure why that is because Abruzzo, where he is ( and I have a house there) is amazing and tourists should be flocking there all year around.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

asik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really niceasik is just really nice

Originally Posted by Nuvoletta
The problem we have had so far has been the lack of co-operation from the local tourist industry here... Hotels that close at the end of August... restaurants that are never willing to accept big groups and a lethargy that beggars belief! Oh and the credit crunch....At the moment we are struggling to get thing's moving and are trying to find a reason to stay...
Nuvoletta, there is a lovely new hotel opened near my village in Abruzzo. They seem to be willing to stay open all year around, the restaurant downstairs accepts big groups but tourists are not coming. They just don't know how to promote the destination. I know it is far from Reggio but if you wish I can put you in touch with them.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Nuvoletta is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by asik
Nuvoletta, there is a lovely new hotel opened near my village in Abruzzo. They seem to be willing to stay open all year around, the restaurant downstairs accepts big groups but tourists are not coming. They just don't know how to promote the destination. I know it is far from Reggio but if you wish I can put you in touch with them.

Many thank's for the offer... It's a bit out of our way... we'll try again with the local tourist people this month and see if the new year has bought any renewed enthusiasm! If not I think we may just have to change location.
We have an offer of work in the North East, but we'll wait and see.