Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Anyone in Sicily?

Anyone in Sicily?

Old Mar 25th 2015, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Hollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone in Sicily?

Is there anyone from the UK living in Sicily or thinking of moving there? We are researching retirement places to live and would appreciate hearing from anyone who is there.

Can you recommend a quiet, safe neighbourhood away from the cities and tourist resorts, yet near to shops, medical facilities etc?

Is anyone in the centre of Sicily, what is Caltanissetta and Enna like?
We have tried to look on Google maps, but they don't show a lot of it.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone in Sicily?

Outside the main cities, the south eastern corner is the best bet for medical facilities and some level of infrastructure. You really dont want to stick a pin in a map, you need to go to Sicily and find somewhere where you feel at home and want to stay. Sicily changes hugely from place to place, and places like Caltanisetta and Enna are certainly not for most people.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

karamia has a brilliant futurekaramia has a brilliant futurekaramia has a brilliant futurekaramia has a brilliant futurekaramia has a brilliant futurekaramia has a brilliant future

My family live in Agrigento not far from Caltanisetta. Great people and certainly its a culture shock getting used to it. My husband is from there and I am Irish.
Agrigento is a great spot and relatively undiscovered as most ex-pats that are there tend to stick to the South East.

I recommend visiting and spending some time exploring various areas of the island to see what works for you and the feel. Caltanisetta has reputable medical facilities also private.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

Hollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karamia
My family live in Agrigento not far from Caltanisetta. Great people and certainly its a culture shock getting used to it. My husband is from there and I am Irish.
Agrigento is a great spot and relatively undiscovered as most ex-pats that are there tend to stick to the South East.

I recommend visiting and spending some time exploring various areas of the island to see what works for you and the feel. Caltanisetta has reputable medical facilities also private.
What do you mean a culture shock? Thanks for your reply, which towns in the South East do the expats live in?
We would like to experience the 'real Sicily' and integrate with locals.
We definitely want good medical facilities and shopping, doctors, dentists etc not too far away.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

'Expats' dont behave like elsewhere - most want to integrate fully into Sicilian life and not have Friday teas and a pub quiz team. The densest concentration would be Cianciana and possibly the area around Noto. If you dont speak Italian and preferably Sicilian you will have a hard time. You really need to spend time travelling throughout the island to find where you feel at home. Agrigento is worlds apart from Sciacca, which is nothing like Marsala.
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 10:50 am
Just Joined

DebWylde is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Just like Hollyhock, I am considering moving to Sicily too! Is it this cold damp weather and depressing times we are living in, I wonder! My daughter and her Italia husband have a restaurant in northern Italy but it is too cold for me up there, a bit too industrial and rather too expensive too. I, too, would be grateful for rental advice, i.e. look privately or go through an agent. Haven't chosen an area yet, am coming over in either June or September to make decisions and perhaps sign up for something. Can anyone tell me if I will have problems applying to stay longer than the three months? I shall not be looking for work, embarrassed to say that I have a pension too ........ I hate the stigma, lol ....... but it does mean that I can prove I have a regular income.