Sicily

Old Feb 14th 2015, 10:41 am
Just Joined

Wittoner is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Sicily

Hello everyone, I'm new here. I am looking for some advice regarding buying property in Sicily. Having gradually fallen head over heels in love with the island over the last few years, myself and my partner have decided to buy there with a long term view of moving permanently. In April we shall be looking at some properties in Termini and Pollina.
I wonder if anyone has any experience of living in these locations, also how easy/difficult is the whole process of buying and relocating.

Many thanks in advance.
Old Feb 16th 2015, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sicily

The process of buying and relocating is as easy or difficult as you want it to be. The rule is go in with your eyes open, dont do what you wouldnt do at home, and have a back up plan. Sicily is beautiful, and for a holiday home is about perfect. If you are thinking moving permanently and working and so on, then youareright - do it gradually, and the shock of having to deal with the Italian state won't kill you!
From what you write, I suspect you are using a 'agent' from the north of Sicily. If so, be careful. She is not a legal estate agent.
Old Feb 16th 2015, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the feedback. As it stands I haven't actually engaged any agent or company yet, as this trip is just browsing really. I do however realise there may be some unscrupulous agents out there. The properties I have seen were on a site which offered help with connecting electricity, water etc I have taken this with a pinch of salt and realise a good grasp of the language will stand me in better stead.
Old Feb 16th 2015, 2:55 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wittoner
Thanks for the feedback. As it stands I haven't actually engaged any agent or company yet, as this trip is just browsing really. I do however realise there may be some unscrupulous agents out there. The properties I have seen were on a site which offered help with connecting electricity, water etc I have taken this with a pinch of salt and realise a good grasp of the language will stand me in better stead.
Sorry I can't help with the specifics of your query (living in Rome) but welcome to the Italy forum.

I would say that I recommend you be guided by MODICASA in this as he knows what he is talking about and is generous with his advice and expertise on issues such as these.

welcome once again
Old Feb 16th 2015, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that I will bear it in mind and start hassling MODICASA on a daily basis!!
Old Feb 16th 2015, 3:04 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wittoner
Thanks for that I will bear it in mind and start hassling MODICASA on a daily basis!!
yes for generic advice of course but not as your agent without pay
Old Feb 17th 2015, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the recommendation - advice is free, but the rest you pay for!!
Old Feb 17th 2015, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

nicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond repute

Live here as a non-resident for a couple of years and only become a resident when you really know what you are letting yourself in for and have understood all the administrative, tax and health implications. Sicily is very different from the north of Italy Don't rush into buying either as the economic situation here is dire and there is a big housing glut. Why have you chosen Termini and Pollini - Everyone has their own personal reasons for living somewhere but I would say a definite no to Termini - they have closed the Fiat factory there (although there is talk of someone else buying it) and there is lots of real poverty around + a giant ENEL electricity plant. There may be industrial pollution and a high chance that your house will be visited. Pollina is very beautiful but small and isolated. Make sure you visit the island well before deciding but after 8 years here the best areas IMHO and for many difderent reasons are where modicasa lives (south east sicily - Siracusa Ragusa Modica) and the area around Trapani-Marsala
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 11:00 am
Just Joined

DebWylde is an unknown quantity at this point

Nicktonight, I am thinking of moving to Sicily too and your reply to Wittoner has been very helpful to me. My daughter and her Italian husband have a restaurant in Bergamo, nothern Italy but it was a little too cold, industrial and rather too expensive for me on my own. Am coming over a bit later in the year to make some decisions but in the meantime, I shall be trawling the forms for some advice, so ........ apologies if I become a nuisance!
Old Apr 4th 2015, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

nicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Deb - excellent idea to come over first and look around - don't hesitate to ask questions on the forum as I for one have got a lot of good advice here