Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Anyone here sent their kids to uni in Scotland?

Anyone here sent their kids to uni in Scotland?

Old Apr 4th 2016, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

cigol is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone here sent their kids to uni in Scotland?

Hello. I'm an 18 year old from England who has been living in Italy for 8 years now.
I'll be finishing secondary school soon and I'm interested in going to university in Scotland next year, because I should be eligible for the EU student tuition fees award.
Thing is it's quite a complicated process, and even more so seeming as I'm neither exactly an Italian student or an English one anymore, meaning I'm in a very unusual situation and there are a lot of questions I have and things I don't understand that I can't ask most people.

I was wondering if maybe there are any kind souls on here who have had past experience sending their children to study in Scotland who could help me out with some much needed information, especially concerning finances. I would be so grateful!
Old Apr 4th 2016, 7:05 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone here sent their kids to uni in Scotland?

Originally Posted by cigol
Hello. I'm an 18 year old from England who has been living in Italy for 8 years now.
I'll be finishing secondary school soon and I'm interested in going to university in Scotland next year, because I should be eligible for the EU student tuition fees award.
Thing is it's quite a complicated process, and even more so seeming as I'm neither exactly an Italian student or an English one anymore, meaning I'm in a very unusual situation and there are a lot of questions I have and things I don't understand that I can't ask most people.

I was wondering if maybe there are any kind souls on here who have had past experience sending their children to study in Scotland who could help me out with some much needed information, especially concerning finances. I would be so grateful!
Hello and welcome. This is something I've thought of but not looked into yet as my daughter is still only in 2nd year Liceo. If you're a nobody, what are you? My daughter has double citizenship as she was born here to an Italian daddy. You weren't obviously if you've been here for the last 8 years so you must just have a British passport. Can you apply for Italian citizenship?
Old Apr 4th 2016, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

cigol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Hello and welcome. This is something I've thought of but not looked into yet as my daughter is still only in 2nd year Liceo. If you're a nobody, what are you? My daughter has double citizenship as she was born here to an Italian daddy. You weren't obviously if you've been here for the last 8 years so you must just have a British passport. Can you apply for Italian citizenship?
Hello Lorna. I'm not exactly a nobody, sorry if I gave that idea. From what I understand I'm an EU student (Having studied here for more than 3 years) with British citizenship. This means that I'm eligible for tuition from the SAAS being an EU student, but not for any maintenance loans or grants from the Student Loans Company, however as a British citizen I'm using my English bank account which I'm gonna turn into a student account, this is one of the things where I'm starting to get confused, seeming as Italian students who go study in Scotland don't have one from what I understand.
Old Apr 4th 2016, 11:01 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cigol
Hello Lorna. I'm not exactly a nobody, sorry if I gave that idea. From what I understand I'm an EU student (Having studied here for more than 3 years) with British citizenship. This means that I'm eligible for tuition from the SAAS being an EU student, but not for any maintenance loans or grants from the Student Loans Company, however as a British citizen I'm using my English bank account which I'm gonna turn into a student account, this is one of the things where I'm starting to get confused, seeming as Italian students who go study in Scotland don't have one from what I understand.
I know you're not a nobody really and you didn't give any wrong ideas. That was just me being ............ well me. A pain in the arse. Get back to you tomorrow.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

DesiderataSicilia is a jewel in the roughDesiderataSicilia is a jewel in the roughDesiderataSicilia is a jewel in the roughDesiderataSicilia is a jewel in the rough

My daughter attends the School of Art in Glasgow. She is now in her second year of five. Fees are about 12000 per annum.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 9:48 am
Just Joined

globecafe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi my niece was born and in italy and did all her schooling in italy her father is italian and mother is british of italian origin she also has duel nationality and is now in her second year at strathclyde university in glasgow but she does live with her grandparents when she is there