Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Anybody in a lockdown zone?

Anybody in a lockdown zone?

Old Mar 13th 2020, 5:03 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody in a lockdown zone?

We've cancelled our holiday. Of everywhere we were going, I was looking forward to Sicily the most.
Old Mar 13th 2020, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Accetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond repute

I realise that there are going to be many businesses suffering and going under because of this pandemic, but am interested to see who is going to profit from it.
Once it is over, the usual suspects will gave made money from the misery of so many. Do you imagine Warren Buffet has followed the bear market?
There will also be some unforseen benefits - pollution levels have dropped in northern Italy.
Old Mar 13th 2020, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

This typifies everything I love about Italy and Italians. True or made up it matters not…. I do not intend to put a Twitter (I call it something slightly different) link here, but if you look for “Italians singing to each other out of the window” it comes up with the results of what it says is happening in Siena – superb!
Old Mar 13th 2020, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

My neighbours belong to a karaoke club and they are singing every night. They are shouting a lot more now since they are stuck at home.
Old Mar 13th 2020, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonwel
Perhaps he's thinking of a common area with the UK, where the virus can run free and exhaust itself like the plague in old times.
Honestly Trump and Johnson make a fine pair, completely irresponsible and blinkered. Johnson still thinks of nothing but Brexit.
The infection rates in the UK and Ireland are substantially lower than in Continental Europe (combined UK + Ireland have about the same number of cases as Denmark), and the CTA not being part of Schengen, means there are at least some checks and border controls. Being islands also helps to be able to the situation a bit more. That is why they were left out of the ban but that will be revisited if/when numbers spike in the UK.

Exclude Italy, and the number of infected in Continental Europe is still about 9x higher than in the United States. The Americans may be having huge issues testing but so are most of the Continental European countries - and European governments have been a lot slower and a lot more sluggish in appreciating the gravity of the situation than the rest of the world.

It was evident the moment the first major cluster appeared in Lombardia that it was going to explode across the continent, for all of these reasons - I said it to my wife the night the news broke, when she asked why only Italy seemed to be affected. I said - it isn't just Italy, the world just doesn't know it yet.

Old Mar 13th 2020, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Xi apparently showed up in Wuhan last week, and if my Italian is good enough, I think I read in the online papers that China has sold 2 million facemasks and something like 10,000 ventilators to Italy. All very good indicators that the Chinese think they have a handle on it now - so the blueprint is there. The infection rate in South Korea has also plunged.

Old Mar 14th 2020, 1:14 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Xi apparently showed up in Wuhan last week, and if my Italian is good enough, I think I read in the online papers that China has sold 2 million facemasks and something like 10,000 ventilators to Italy. All very good indicators that the Chinese think they have a handle on it now - so the blueprint is there. The infection rate in South Korea has also plunged.

Donated I read. Not sold.
Old Mar 14th 2020, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Donated I read. Not sold.
Did you read anything about China also sending 10 or 12 virus experts, who I think are now already in Milan?
Old Mar 14th 2020, 1:46 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Did you read anything about China also sending 10 or 12 virus experts, who I think are now already in Milan?

5 experts I read. Plane landed yesterday or the night before with the experts on board and something like 5 or 7 cargo pallets of all those masks and ventilators.
Old Mar 14th 2020, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
5 experts I read. Plane landed yesterday or the night before with the experts on board and something like 5 or 7 cargo pallets of all those masks and ventilators.
My wife also just said "donated" and not "sold." Can't remember where I saw "sold" or if I just imagined that.
Old Mar 14th 2020, 1:55 pm

Old Mar 14th 2020, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Stolen from Guardian
Old Mar 14th 2020, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

UK and Ireland just added to the USA ban
Old Mar 16th 2020, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Best not to shout this in a public place "Sono positivo."
https://www.ansa.it/sito/notizie/cro...4d20fc75a.html
Old Mar 16th 2020, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
Best not to shout this in a public place "Sono positivo."
https://www.ansa.it/sito/notizie/cro...4d20fc75a.html
We don't know what category he was in - mentally ill or just 'terminally stupid' Whichever, it's not a course of action I was planning on

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.