Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

3 months maximum

3 months maximum

Old Feb 13th 2011, 12:19 am
Banned

6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute
Default 3 months maximum

OK,

Question 2 of the night.

I have read various bits and pieces about you only being allowed to stay in Italy for 90 days at a time. Lots of info and lots of conflicting information.

I want to return to Sicily as soon as possible and basically live there for the forseeable future (1 or 2 years) BUT I also want to remain as a UK resident / taxpayer etc (I expect to return to the UK for a total of around 90 days in the year)

Does anyone know what the rules are here?
I feel as if it should be ok for me to do this but expect I will have to do some kind of admin with someone, somewhere!

I would not be looking for work in Italy as my work is home based.

thanks

Last edited by 6monthshere6monthsthere; Feb 13th 2011 at 12:21 am. Reason: I want to be an editor
Old Feb 13th 2011, 5:49 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 months maximum

You can't be a UK resident if you are living less than culmulative 183 days of the year in the UK.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 9:55 am
Banned

6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute6monthshere6monthsthere has a reputation beyond repute

ok

for tax purposes I will be UK taxed.

So let me ask it another way

If I want to stay in italy for 2 days in every 3 from 1st April to March 31st, do I need to apply for some kind of visa or inform any Italian authority?

I guess I probably do but know of people who have not.

I would like to do it properly but practically!

thanks
Old Feb 13th 2011, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

If you are in Italy for more than 183 days per year your entire income falls under the italian tax system as you are fiscally resident in Italy. If you stay over 90 days as a European citizen you should get residence, for which you will need proof of address, (but I seem to remember you dont have a contract for your accommodation, so your landlord will not be happy if you stipulate your flat as your home), proof of independent means and health insurance.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 10:27 am
Banned

I am back in the UK

I will be getting a contract this time.

I understand the tax system pretty well so that is not to worry about, what I do not know about is residence.

So if you stay beyond 90 days you are clearly meant to inform the authorities that this is your intention.

I do know of several people who have not.

I am of course keen to do this by the book but thinking that given I will not be in the country for any more than 60 days at a time I should not bother?
Old Feb 13th 2011, 10:31 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

As the others have or will tell you, if you intend to stay more than three months you are required to register as a resident straight away - not after 3mnths. Taxes, you pay were you live for more than 183 days a year. And a car should be re-registered after six months if you intend to habitually reside for more than a year. That said......
Old Feb 13th 2011, 11:04 am
Banned

As I say, I know the tax system and how that works so there is no issue there.

I have been looking at residency etc online and it seems like I should be registering within 8 days of arrival.

I think I might contact the Italian Embassy here to see what they have to say.

In the next 12 months I would expect to be

UK FOR 3 MONTHS
ITALY FOR 7 MONTHS
USA FOR 2 MONTHS

I will be crossing a lot of borders and not staying in 1 spot for more than 6 weeks or so.

I will ultimately have addresses in the UK and Italy and later in the USA also, moving around fairly regularly.

BUT

Will have Full time residencies in each location
Old Feb 13th 2011, 11:45 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

6Months, it wasn't mine or, I'm sure, the others intention to question your tax arrangements. Far from it. Just telling your how the tax office sees it here. They don't care what you or the UK tax office think.
As for residency. You can't have full time residency in three places. It's not the same as having a home in three places. Do you need residency here? Will it give you any benefits?
Old Feb 13th 2011, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

ambra_wandsworth will become famous soon enough

If you manage to remain a UK resident and taxpayer is far better in my opinion..
Tax burden is high in Italy and some people try to escape that taking up residence somewhere else...Think more than twice...

If you are expected to spend 3 months in uk, take this advantage...
Old Feb 13th 2011, 12:32 pm
Banned

What I meant by residency is

I will have a place that I rent for the year and use as and when required.
I know I cannot become a resident in lots of places, was not too clear on that sorry!

As I said, we can bury the tax thing.

So,

Would I be right in thinking, I could simply sign a lease for 1 year, pay that and disappear every couple of months to the USA or UK (again not worrying about the USA rules)

All I am after is the best way to spend a significant part of the year in Italy, if I can do this like others I know of by simply turning up paying the rent and its all likely to be fine. I do not require to work or to have an Italian bank account etc.

I do not see that there would be much point in me doing anything other than this? at no stage will I exceed 90 days in the country and normally will be out every 6 weeks or so for a week or 2 at a time.

Is there anything to stop me signing and paying a contract for 1 year with the estate agent?

Going to have a ponder and a google
Old Feb 13th 2011, 12:56 pm
Concierge

It wouldn't be going strictly by the rules, but you wouldn't be the first or last to just come and go and it won't stop you signing a contract for an apartment. All you need is a codice fiscale.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

ambra_wandsworth will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 6monthshere6monthsthere
What I meant by residency is

I will have a place that I rent for the year and use as and when required.

Would I be right in thinking, I could simply sign a lease for 1 year, pay that and disappear every couple of months to the USA or UK (again not worrying about the USA rules)

All I am after is the best way to spend a significant part of the year in Italy, if I can do this like others I know of by simply turning up paying the rent and its all likely to be fine. I do not require to work or to have an Italian bank account etc.

I do not see that there would be much point in me doing anything other than this? at no stage will I exceed 90 days in the country and normally will be out every 6 weeks or so for a week or 2 at a time.
I don't see any issue in what you would like to do..
As long as you pay rent and bills, it's like renting a place for holidays...You're not supposed always to be there, you can come and go..

My dad used to rent a family house here and the minimum lease was 4 years, in that case; but I'm sure you can find a flat furnished with one year lease, it depends on what the landlord wants as well...you need to have a look around and find something that fits...

Anyway, I don't see someone knocking on your door if on day n.184 ( consecutive) you are still here by chanceand ask about your residence ..

Obviously if someone does like Valentino Rossi, holding a uk residence and living 350 days in Italy.. that doesn't work !

Last edited by ambra_wandsworth; Feb 13th 2011 at 1:03 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 5:04 pm
Banned

Ok

Decided!

I am just going to come and go!

There seems to be no valid reason for me to do anything other than this.

Thanks for input

k
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:27 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by 6monthshere6monthsthere
Ok

Decided!

I am just going to come and go!

There seems to be no valid reason for me to do anything other than this.

Thanks for input

k
Old Feb 15th 2011, 11:29 am
Just Joined

autumn01 is an unknown quantity at this point

yes you do just come and go and nothing more than that.

and this from a consultant who does this regularly all over the place.

The only time you have to get all cross-eyed is if you need a local tax number to sign a lease, open a bank account or do any other business...in which case you go find yourself a hotel apartment...or other furnished accommodation for which you dont need anything.

And make sure you do an annual count of the number of nights out/in from here there and everywhere....arrival and departure may count depending on the country and the time of the arrival/departure. Usually if you arrive late after business they dont count that day as presence... they are after income! Best to check. I normally find the tax offices helpful but I only do this if I am borderline and I cant avoid getting worried....

the tax man counts in 'normal resident' ie you might well be perm rez in one country but have normal residency in another if you spend too many days there...then they get you...so know the rules and count the days!!!

With so much red tape all over the place you can get cross-eyed and get them all cross-eyed too. because they dont know what to tell you - they tell you the 'normal' answer that applies to normal people...ie those that have normal 9-5 x 365 days in one place.