Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Information Technology
Reload this Page >

Wifes skills assessed, not me, can I work in IT

Wifes skills assessed, not me, can I work in IT

Old Jul 22nd 2007, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

carlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant future
Default Wifes skills assessed, not me, can I work in IT

Hi,

We are going to Melbourne on a 136 visa (just about to send in), based on my wife who is a nurse. I am a UK contractor, have no IT degree, but 20 years experience. I have had big trouble getting references, so have decided not to do ACS assessment as it will probably delay us a lot.

I am having conflicting advice on whether I can work, contract or permie if I am not skills assessed. So I am asking (probably a well repeated) question of whether I could get a job, or do I need certification, registration of any bodies. I am talking officially here, rather than what might help.

I work in Data Warehousing mainly (Oracle, ETL, Informatica), but am flexible, so would prefer you generally ignore the question of whether my skills are in demand (although any pointers would be useful). There are a lot of discussions about these topics, but just really want an objective view on whether I can officially work as is.

I did apply for a specific job through an agency, they told me to get back to them when I had a visa, but they didn't answer my questions about whether I had to be assessed etc.

Thanks
Old Jul 26th 2007, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Wifes skills assessed, not me, can I work in IT

Whether you have a skills assessment makes no difference at all for IT. With a PR visa you can apply for any job apart from a few which require citizenship (mainly defence and that sort of area).
Old Jul 26th 2007, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

carlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by spottydog
Whether you have a skills assessment makes no difference at all for IT. With a PR visa you can apply for any job apart from a few which require citizenship (mainly defence and that sort of area).
Thanks spottydog. All the info and evidence I have pointed that way, but it is nice to get confirmation.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spottydog
Thanks spottydog. All the info and evidence I have pointed that way, but it is nice to get confirmation.