Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Information Technology
Reload this Page >

Finding IT job after getting Australia PR

Finding IT job after getting Australia PR

Old Jan 5th 2013, 10:27 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 19
tinku981 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding IT job after getting Australia PR

Good Day,

I have got Australia family PR and is it possible to apply for IT job from India?

Thanks in advance,
tinku981 is offline  
Old Jan 9th 2013, 8:54 am
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: West Melbourne
Posts: 462
wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice
Default Re: Finding IT job after getting Australia PR

Yes, you can apply. There's no law against it

However, the majority of Australian employers and agencies will only really consider applications once you are actually residing in Australia.
wongstonn is offline  
Old Jan 9th 2013, 9:21 am
  #3  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Alfresco's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 20,814
Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding IT job after getting Australia PR

Originally Posted by wongstonn View Post
Yes, you can apply. There's no law against it

However, the majority of Australian employers and agencies will only really consider applications once you are actually residing in Australia.
Agreed. You'll be very lucky to apply for and land a job without being here. It has been done before, but those peeps are in the minority.
Alfresco is offline  
Old Jan 16th 2013, 12:25 am
  #4  
uzi
Java Dweeb
 
uzi's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Logan City, QLD
Posts: 407
uzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud of
Default Re: Finding IT job after getting Australia PR

Originally Posted by tinku981 View Post
Good Day,

I have got Australia family PR and is it possible to apply for IT job from India?

Thanks in advance,
It is possible if your play your game correctly. Here is how I had done it:

1. Get your resume professionally written. Your resume is your sales campaign, make it juicy (in the right way) and it will do wonders for you. Search your name on Google, does it appear in first ten results? Prepare a linked-in profile, start adding recruiters and HR people based on email campaign.

2. Start looking into seek.com.au to get an idea about the number of jobs and pay scale in your specialty area. Australian IT market is very active in Feb-Mar and July-Aug, so plan your job hunting strategy accordingly.

3. The best time to start forwarding your resume is couple of weeks before your intended travel date. Best if you have tickets in your hand, this will allow you to give a definite date for face-to-face interview. Having interviews ready as soon as you land will mean that you may grab it sooner than usual. Play it wrong, and you will miss the opportunity.

4. Get an Australia number over skype or any other VoIP solution of your choice. Mention that number on your resume. If you mention your indian telephone number, your resume will automatically be eliminated. No need to mention your address on your resume, specially your Indian address. Mention your blog address or website if you have one.

5. If you are submitting a cover letter, mention that you can work for any employer in Australia. No need to provide details that you just got your PR etc. etc. This can be covered later because recruiter/employer will ask for proof of your work authorization if things progress.

6. Identify and target your potential employers, reach out to the HR departments even if there is no job on their careers page.

A well prepared resume with an Australian number will most likely shortlist you as a possible candidate. Rest is up to your communication skills.

Good luck .

--Uzi
uzi is offline  
Old Jan 16th 2013, 10:16 am
  #5  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Alfresco's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 20,814
Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding IT job after getting Australia PR

Originally Posted by uzi View Post
It is possible if your play your game correctly. Here is how I had done it:

1. Get your resume professionally written. Your resume is your sales campaign, make it juicy (in the right way) and it will do wonders for you. Search your name on Google, does it appear in first ten results? Prepare a linked-in profile, start adding recruiters and HR people based on email campaign.

2. Start looking into seek.com.au to get an idea about the number of jobs and pay scale in your specialty area. Australian IT market is very active in Feb-Mar and July-Aug, so plan your job hunting strategy accordingly.

3. The best time to start forwarding your resume is couple of weeks before your intended travel date. Best if you have tickets in your hand, this will allow you to give a definite date for face-to-face interview. Having interviews ready as soon as you land will mean that you may grab it sooner than usual. Play it wrong, and you will miss the opportunity.

4. Get an Australia number over skype or any other VoIP solution of your choice. Mention that number on your resume. If you mention your indian telephone number, your resume will automatically be eliminated. No need to mention your address on your resume, specially your Indian address. Mention your blog address or website if you have one.

5. If you are submitting a cover letter, mention that you can work for any employer in Australia. No need to provide details that you just got your PR etc. etc. This can be covered later because recruiter/employer will ask for proof of your work authorization if things progress.

6. Identify and target your potential employers, reach out to the HR departments even if there is no job on their careers page.

A well prepared resume with an Australian number will most likely shortlist you as a possible candidate. Rest is up to your communication skills.

Good luck .

--Uzi

Awesome advice!
Alfresco is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.