Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Information Technology
Reload this Page >

Current job market for IT professional workers in Oz?

Current job market for IT professional workers in Oz?

Old Dec 12th 2012, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

melko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Current job market for IT professional workers in Oz?

I am thinking of moving to Australia, on a skilled visa (class 175). This visa is based on points, and it seems I may have enough. I am from the UK.

I work in IT for more than 7 years as a web developer, I believe this skill is in demand in Oz so I should be fine in getting work? I have been to Oz before but as a tourist, and I really liked Sydney out of all the places I visited (I did all of the east and central Oz whilst there this year 2012) so I'm thinking of going to live in Sydney for a while..but not sure if most IT work is based there or not, thats why I am here on this forum

I would like to ask anyone living in Oz (either ex pats or citizens, pref UK expats) as to what the IT job market is like there? The UK isn't doing so great here for IT at the mo, its not very bad but not as good as it was few years back in terms of the number of jobs available, basically the UK is down the $hitter! I have a perm job which I'm lucky to have but think Oz might be better for my career and future life.. I have development/technical skills and graduated from uni in the UK with bachelors. I'm 33 years old.

Also, what sort of salaries can one expect as a contractor (I have less than a years contracting exp) and as a perm for more than 7 years exp? Whats the cost of living out in Sydney? I know its not cheap, I live in London so I'm prepared to pay the price if my salary compensates( I believe Oz salaries are much higher than the UK, but cost of food, transport etc are also high)

If anyone can give me some info/advice, I'd appreciate it!
Thanks
Old Jan 9th 2013, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice
Default Re: Current job market for IT professional workers in Oz?

Check out the report on the jobs market, and the associated salary survey at this link:

http://www.michaelpage.com.au/Conten...page/8150.html
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

PominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond reputePominOz1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Current job market for IT professional workers in Oz?

Stay put. I suggest you look at the threads on linkedIn about IT employment here, it's all outsourced and there are thousands coming from the sub-continent driving rates south. Virtually every taxi driver I have met in Melbourne has the same qualifications as you. With your skillset you will be looking at about $400pd if you are lucky. Every agent will tell you there is a skills shortage and when you are here and find out that's bs what are you going to do next?