Long Time Bali resident

Old Jan 9th 2014, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Long Time Bali resident

Originally Posted by Davita
Hi Chrisjolly..Im Davita and, because this forum is not very active, you may not get a response...so I'll try.
Your idea of arriving and staying in the Kuta area near the airport is commendable. There are numerous 2 star type hotel/hostels and "Kosts" in the area and plenty small end shopping. There you will get more acquainted with your plan and can move elsewhere. Bali is fairly big but can be traversed easily in one day. Don't fall into the trap of accepting what the street vendors offer but pick their brains and keep their brochures.
I think it best to be in a party of at least 4 people and share. I also recommend using a driver with a least some reasonable English.
There are numerous sights to see but I suggest you all recognize a sense of priority...for example...some like snorkeling or boarding or rafting. Other may wish to see the temples, and again some just want to eat, drink and soak up the local fabric of life and see the many celebrations Balinese habitually perform...all is available. It is a question of time and priority.
With regards to accommodation it is a tourist market...there is more supply than demand so bargain everywhere and walk away if dissatisfied...you are king so keep hold to your money!

Enjoy your trip and fire any questions...I'll attempt answers but I'm an amateur.
Thank you for replying Davita. Our plans are like this at the moment but not having booked anywhere we will be happy to accept any advice. Arrive, stay in Sanur while we get our bearings and visit the islands,on to Ubud for a few days, then Padangbai to visit Lomok and the Gilis, Amed for a few days then on to Lovina where we can be based to visit the inland villages, Pemuteran and then finally along the south coast back to Sanur before we fly home. What do you think?
Old Jan 9th 2014, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long Time Bali resident

If you are here in Bali/Lombok for a whole month what you plan is perfectly do-able.
Sanur is also a perfect place to unwind the first few days and plan the next stage. I like Sanur as it is easy to get from the airport using the new toll causeway...it costs an extra Rp10,000 for a car/taxi but cuts most of the traffic...depending on arrival time. It is a one street town with a parallel beach road which is nice to walk or rent a bike. Many restaurants and shops in Sanur and the beach is pleasant for all the water toys....but not for surfing...the tide goes way-out.
Ubud is now much like Kuta. Although many expats live there and meditate and do yoga, but methinks otherwise hide..coz of the massive busloads of tourists that invade every day from the south. There are some stunning restaurants...one called 'Hanging Garden' which has spectacular vistas but a tad spendy...not too bad for lunch.
The trip from Sanur thru' Candi Desa and on to Amlapura/Amed and to Singeraja/Lovina is OK and scenic but not much else. I've stayed in Lovina a couple of times but not much to do 'cept see dolphins in the morning.
A side trip to the Kintamani volcano is a must as is another side road to the temple on an island near Bedugul...it is featured on the back of Rp50,000 note...but you should read up on all the travel brochures to choose which site to see...best to choose a travel guide for trips unless you have a driver who knows where to go...much of Bali travel is not DIY unless you have a guide. These village visits are a new tourism project that sound interesting if you are into the Bali Hindu spiritualism...it is hypnotic...I nearly get it!!!

I went to Lombok once but, except for remote beaches, I didn't find it interesting and the people are not Balinese...they are Muslim, and some are very strict. We rented a car and guide for a couple of days and just drove around...it is remote and maybe one day will be like Bali, but not in my lifetime!

The Gilis (Islands) are somewhat like Kuta...Trawangan is to be avoided at weekends as full of party people...Gili Air is quieter. Remember, you can also fast ferry to the Gili's from Benoa nearer to Sanur, and I think a speed boat runs from the beach in Sanur. Be careful.....the water can be rough...so choose the weather! Flying from Bali-Lombok is not so good as the new airport in Lombok is way far from Senggigi (the resort area) and the ferry to the Gili's.

Hope I've whetted you appetite..do some research and fire any questions.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Long Time Bali resident

Originally Posted by Davita
If you are here in Bali/Lombok for a whole month what you plan is perfectly do-able.
Sanur is also a perfect place to unwind the first few days and plan the next stage. I like Sanur as it is easy to get from the airport using the new toll causeway...it costs an extra Rp10,000 for a car/taxi but cuts most of the traffic...depending on arrival time. It is a one street town with a parallel beach road which is nice to walk or rent a bike. Many restaurants and shops in Sanur and the beach is pleasant for all the water toys....but not for surfing...the tide goes way-out.
Ubud is now much like Kuta. Although many expats live there and meditate and do yoga, but methinks otherwise hide..coz of the massive busloads of tourists that invade every day from the south. There are some stunning restaurants...one called 'Hanging Garden' which has spectacular vistas but a tad spendy...not too bad for lunch.
The trip from Sanur thru' Candi Desa and on to Amlapura/Amed and to Singeraja/Lovina is OK and scenic but not much else. I've stayed in Lovina a couple of times but not much to do 'cept see dolphins in the morning.
A side trip to the Kintamani volcano is a must as is another side road to the temple on an island near Bedugul...it is featured on the back of Rp50,000 note...but you should read up on all the travel brochures to choose which site to see...best to choose a travel guide for trips unless you have a driver who knows where to go...much of Bali travel is not DIY unless you have a guide. These village visits are a new tourism project that sound interesting if you are into the Bali Hindu spiritualism...it is hypnotic...I nearly get it!!!

I went to Lombok once but, except for remote beaches, I didn't find it interesting and the people are not Balinese...they are Muslim, and some are very strict. We rented a car and guide for a couple of days and just drove around...it is remote and maybe one day will be like Bali, but not in my lifetime!

The Gilis (Islands) are somewhat like Kuta...Trawangan is to be avoided at weekends as full of party people...Gili Air is quieter. Remember, you can also fast ferry to the Gili's from Benoa nearer to Sanur, and I think a speed boat runs from the beach in Sanur. Be careful.....the water can be rough...so choose the weather! Flying from Bali-Lombok is not so good as the new airport in Lombok is way far from Senggigi (the resort area) and the ferry to the Gili's.

Hope I've whetted you appetite..do some research and fire any questions.
Thank you so much for your reply and all the information. I am in the process of booking some family run guest houses in the various places mentioned and also homestay. The only further question (sorry) is that if we stay in the north for a week or so where would you recommend rather than Lovina? I am making enquiries about Amed Cafe and then will move on to the Pura Maduwe Karang area so we can explore the coast and also do a trip inland. We are not surfers but love beaches, culture and music. I play guitar in restaurants in Goa for 6 months every year where we are now. Thank you. Chris
Old Jan 10th 2014, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long Time Bali resident

Sorry Chris I'm out of knowledge of anything other than my 2 short trips to Lovina. A trip from Lovina thru to the ferry crossing to Java at Gillimanuk then back to Kerobokan (where I live) or vv, is my next venture. There are some resorts offshore west of Lovina but I've no info.
It isn't protocol for me to link to another forum but suggest you search for a Balipod forum...I write there often using the same nic and you can pose your questions as there are many expat members who actually live in the areas you wish to explore.
Be careful however and phrase your questions well; otherwise, some members are like Dracula and will suck your blood...

ps Ubud has a thriving music scene and jazz club.