Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Indonesia
Reload this Page >

Mother and daughter die in Bali

Mother and daughter die in Bali

Old Jan 15th 2014, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mother and daughter die in Bali

Davita,

What is the latest news in Bali on these deaths ?

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel...-1226801812155
Old Jan 15th 2014, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mother and daughter die in Bali

Hi hong_konger
Your nic reminds me of the 16 years I spent in HKG from 1974-1990...good old days!

I haven't any more info on the tragedy than your link, which I hadn't seen.
The Brisbane Post-Mortem should have results this week so everyone is waiting. There is so much media speculation here (mainly from Australia) that it has tainted Bali but, until some evidence which makes something in Bali complicit appears, I'm not joining in this.
Local news is the Bali police are still co-operating with the Australian police and Consul, so we should wait. With the info they had in Bali they could find no evidence of a crime, so released the bodies to the family in Australia.

However, it does appear odd that BOTH died...even if it was from food or allergy or whatever...don't you think that rare? When the contents of the stomach are revealed I guess we will all be wiser.
My hope is that they do provide information...I don't know Australian law on this... i.e....is it a requirement for the coroner to notify cause of death?
Old Jan 16th 2014, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Davita,

Well its still the good old days here in HK

Yeah its strange because they had only just arrived in Bali ! If it had been food poisoning then you would thought that others would also be affected. If it was an allergic reaction then strange that it affected them both in the same way. Quite bizarre really.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 4:53 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

It's very odd, isn't it. You hear of these kind of cases in the islands of Thailand, quite often drugs are involved then dehydration, but they sure don't look like drug users.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

The latest is here....http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...-after-autopsy

The autopsy is complete and the bodies have been released to the family for burial on Monday.
I imagine it is protocol for a 'no-comment' from the coroner until after the funeral...unless a crime was being investigated.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

So they both had heart attacks !! The plot thickens !!
Old Feb 7th 2014, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

According to the news here in Bali the Mother and Daughter died from a rare food poison, apparently from the mahi mahi fish they consumed, which elevates the histamine. The ladies were both asthmatic and it seems this then triggered a reaction which killed them both.
The relatives accept that this was a very rare event and just bad luck. It could have happened anywhere at any time.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 12:33 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. Just had a google on histamine poisoning and not just mahi mahi apparently.....sardines and some tuna too. The fish has to be spoiled (gone off) for this to happen though. Apparently can happen in some Swiss cheeses too blimey.