Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Indonesia
Reload this Page >

Living and Working in Surabaya

Living and Working in Surabaya

Old Dec 12th 2012, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Jackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to all
Default Living and Working in Surabaya

I've just been asked to attend an interview for a job in Surabaya working for a property developer.

I haven't been in Surabaya since 1990 and my memories of the place have faded. So just wondering if anyone lives there and can give me any advice as to what the place would be like to live and work in?
Old Dec 21st 2012, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

Outrigger_Ian is just really niceOutrigger_Ian is just really niceOutrigger_Ian is just really niceOutrigger_Ian is just really niceOutrigger_Ian is just really niceOutrigger_Ian is just really niceOutrigger_Ian is just really niceOutrigger_Ian is just really nice
Default Re: Living and Working in Surabaya

Spent 4 years in Surabaya before leaving in Feb 2011 moving to Manila. Although had some reservations on arrival these quickly disappeared and would say had a good 4 years there. This said it did require effort to adapt but then where doesnt. Although there were no real fears regarding personal safety was fortunate to have secure condo accomadation which did provide peace of mind. Luckily also had car / driver provided, would not like to drive myself given traffic conditions. Had no children so education so I cant comment on the quality of education there although there are various international schools. There are the usual Malls associated with any City (if this is your cup of tea) and most other ammenities. For the long weekends Bali is but a 45 minute plane ride. And as with many Asian cities there is a social life to suit most tastes. Work was demanding not least because it was a factory of some 1700 of which only a small percentage could speak english but that just served to make down time more enjoyable. I guess alot depends on what you are expecting / looking for but I have no regrets or complaints about my time there. Let me know if you have any specific questions, I will try to help.