ICT in Indonesia

Old Jan 3rd 2013, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Default ICT in Indonesia

Does anyone work in ICT in Indonesia?

Be interested in the main hotspots ?

Level of communications ?

Level of available local ICT labour ?

If possible any idea of colocation and dedicated server pricing in the market.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 3:49 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ICT in Indonesia

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
Does anyone work in ICT in Indonesia?

Be interested in the main hotspots ?

Level of communications ?

Level of available local ICT labour ?

If possible any idea of colocation and dedicated server pricing in the market.
I worked there for several years, implementing business intelligence analytical solutions and data warehouses. I still maintain good contacts over there.

Indonesia, like much of Asia, is an area of contrasts, and that extends across the ICT industry. Someone living in a rough shack in a kampung can have a good smartphone and use it to gain access the internet for his/her laptop.

Blackberries are everywhere, due to a low cost push by RIM.

Internet exists, and is steadily getting better, but only in the main population centres. Landline phones are uncommon, cellphones are ubiquitous, and the most common access to the internet is wifi (often free in malls etc) and via 3G or lower.

Having said that, there is an amazing range and quality of talent in the ICT industry. I spoke at an ICT conference a few years ago and end out to dinner with a group of graduating students. They were (in my opinion) far more "switched on" than Australian graduates, and were "hungry" - meaning that they will work hard to active success. I still have some of their CVs around, and I encouraged several of them to consider migration.

Indonesia is doing well, and is leapfrogging technology at an amazing rate. They are not afraid to try new ideas and products. I remember many years ago seeing my first home NAS in Ratu Plaza, when they were unheard on in Australia. I was even more shocked to discover that half of my Indonesia friends already had one at home.

I can find out server hosting prices for you, or even better I can put you in touch with people involved in that area. I had dinner a few years ago with the main Dell importer for Indonesia, who had the contract to supply the entire governments contracts.

BUT - be aware, doing business in Indonesia is difficult, complex and very trying.

What is said in a meeting, and what is written in a contract, often mean very little, and the "spirit of the agreement" means much more. Indonesians cannot keep time - they live by rubber time or "jam Karet"), they take time to build relationships with, and often do not say why they really mean. They are however remarkably open and honest in most dealings, and only seek a fair deal between both parties. There is also still la huge element of corruption and nepotism that often gets in the way of doing business.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
I worked there for several years, implementing business intelligence analytical solutions and data warehouses. I still maintain good contacts over there.

Indonesia, like much of Asia, is an area of contrasts, and that extends across the ICT industry. Someone living in a rough shack in a kampung can have a good smartphone and use it to gain access the internet for his/her laptop.

Blackberries are everywhere, due to a low cost push by RIM.

Internet exists, and is steadily getting better, but only in the main population centres. Landline phones are uncommon, cellphones are ubiquitous, and the most common access to the internet is wifi (often free in malls etc) and via 3G or lower.

Having said that, there is an amazing range and quality of talent in the ICT industry. I spoke at an ICT conference a few years ago and end out to dinner with a group of graduating students. They were (in my opinion) far more "switched on" than Australian graduates, and were "hungry" - meaning that they will work hard to active success. I still have some of their CVs around, and I encouraged several of them to consider migration.

Indonesia is doing well, and is leapfrogging technology at an amazing rate. They are not afraid to try new ideas and products. I remember many years ago seeing my first home NAS in Ratu Plaza, when they were unheard on in Australia. I was even more shocked to discover that half of my Indonesia friends already had one at home.

I can find out server hosting prices for you, or even better I can put you in touch with people involved in that area. I had dinner a few years ago with the main Dell importer for Indonesia, who had the contract to supply the entire governments contracts.

BUT - be aware, doing business in Indonesia is difficult, complex and very trying.

What is said in a meeting, and what is written in a contract, often mean very little, and the "spirit of the agreement" means much more. Indonesians cannot keep time - they live by rubber time or "jam Karet"), they take time to build relationships with, and often do not say why they really mean. They are however remarkably open and honest in most dealings, and only seek a fair deal between both parties. There is also still la huge element of corruption and nepotism that often gets in the way of doing business.
Your assistance including introductions would be most appreciated. We are in the business of long term relationships and thus there is no rush to push deals through quickly (normally a sign its not such a win win deal for both parties).

I know what you mean about the "hunger" and level of graduates. I find it humbling but also exciting.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 4:09 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
Your assistance including introductions would be most appreciated. We are in the business of long term relationships and thus there is no rush to push deals through quickly (normally a sign its not such a win win deal for both parties).

I know what you mean about the "hunger" and level of graduates. I find it humbling but also exciting.
To be honest, of all of Asia Indonesia is the country that fascinates and excites me the most. I love them place and the people, despite the problems.

I will add you on my linked in and PM you my contact details. I will then introduce you to some of the people over there.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
To be honest, of all of Asia Indonesia is the country that fascinates and excites me the most. I love them place and the people, despite the problems.

I will add you on my linked in and PM you my contact details. I will then introduce you to some of the people over there.
Sounds good mate