Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Indonesia
Reload this Page >

Jakarta: Cost of living for a local woman?

Jakarta: Cost of living for a local woman?

Old Feb 4th 2013, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold
Default Jakarta: Cost of living for a local woman?

Due to cohabitation issues, I have to leave my fiance behind when I go working this year. She will have to go home to Jakarta for a year until I come over and we get married. She's late 30's and used to work in the restaurant industry and was a trainer in the hotels she worked in although I understand she'll come up against ageism in their culture and may struggle to find work.

If she returns home, and is unable to get work and I have to cover the cost of her living, what am I looking at? I've heard the cost of living in Jakarta has rocketed and I don't particularly want to have to life in a 'prison' for an extra year to cover her living costs in another country to achieve my goals. She doesn't need to live a life of luxury like some expats want, but doesn't need to be in a neighbour blighted with poverty. I know some single expats have found they can live cheaply in places in Indonesia to do the things they want, even save.

Any realistic 'basic' living costs are welcome here.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 7:42 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jakarta: Cost of living for a local woman?

Hi Beakersful,

Sorry no one answered your thread. I've just happened upon it. As a matter of interest did you ever find this out?
Old Jul 10th 2013, 6:50 am
Banned

jason.mantle1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Beakersful,

Sorry I just came across your post.
Is your fiance an expat too or does she happen to be Indonesian?

Cost of living in Jakarta is relatively low, locals can usually live quite comfortably with about 5 million rupiah/month, while expats with higher standards of living can live with less than 10 million rupiah/month.
Prices has increased but not really rocketed; it's still relatively affordable in general.

I found quite a useful article here: http://www.jakarta100bars.com/2010/0...or-expats.html
Although it was updated in 2011, I think it's still quite up-to-date.

Do PM me if you need more information. Good luck!
Old Jul 10th 2013, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

I'll check out the link when I'm home, thanks.

She's Indo, we were planning to get her home and marry there, but we've decided to do it in the UK now and then move out with work. Costs and paperwork, plus convenience and family presence at the wedding are a consideration.

But she was telling me the living costs back in Jakarta were high, and her chances of work low. I don't want to be working under difficult circumstances and sending her so much money, money that'd be better saved for our wedding, and a reserve pot of cash.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

worriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Jakarta: Cost of living for a local woman?

Cost of living and other issues
Hi
My daughter,six months old baby and her husband are moving in 4 weeks to Jacarta.Can any expat living there put my mind at rest ,sorry if this is the incorrect thread.
Advice on well baby clinics
General hospital care
Air poluttion/health risks- she has athsma
wHERE to live his job is Pacific Square area near large shoppin mall
Safety for my daughter and baby while out walking/park ect- both europeans
Moskitos, shots etc.
Any advice just to put me at rest.They are currently living in Doha and familiar with the culture.
Thank you in advance
R
Old Mar 4th 2014, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Worriedmum...I copy/pasted your above post #5 to a new thread titled Jakarta: Expat living

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...9#post11157729

Last edited by Sue; Mar 4th 2014 at 3:58 pm. Reason: Link added