Sri Lanka in November

Old Aug 15th 2015, 2:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sri Lanka in November

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
I must say I find the whole Pondicherry-Chennai area very appealing from a tourist perspective.

But my problem is that I cannot visit India as long as the female sexual abuse issue is on-going. I am hardly a fervent supporter of women's rights but I do find it absolutely unacceptable that Indian law allows men to abuse women without much in the way of legal sanction.

Sorry, but my only way to influence this issue is to refuse to visit the country. I am very shocked that a few of my female friends still find it within themselves to overlook this matter and take their holidays in India. That almost appalls me more!
Not sure where you get your ideas from ?? Pondicherry is a totally separate area away from Chennai the main Southern city.

Of course there are laws against abuse of women. The law was amended
recently after a dreadful rape case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimin...ent)_Act,_2013

(Percentage wise per population there are less rapes than in UK!)

Certainly the police need a great deal of improvement -they get very low salaries and need more up to date training.

As regards rights of women there at one time there were far more women lawyers, doctors etc. politicians per population than in UK (haven't looked up recent statistics).

The biggest problem is about 40% of the population in poverty and of course women who are poor always suffer more than men.

The new government is hopefully able to improve matters.
Probably the previous Congress government could have done a lot more.

Today is independence day so have had 67 years to improve matters!!
Old Aug 16th 2015, 7:51 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat

That doesn't surprise me. There's stuff goes on everywhere but how much is reported in the papers? And the media do tend to cherry-pick their news sometimes.
Old Aug 16th 2015, 8:20 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure where you get your ideas from ?? Pondicherry is a totally separate area away from Chennai the main Southern city.

Of course there are laws against abuse of women. The law was amended
recently after a dreadful rape case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimin...ent)_Act,_2013

Certainly the police need a great deal of improvement -they get very low salaries and need more up to date training.

As regards rights of women there at one time there were far more women lawyers, doctors etc. politicians per population than in UK (haven't looked up recent statistics).

The biggest problem is about 40% of the population in poverty and of course women who are poor always suffer more than men.

The new government is hopefully able to improve matters.
Probably the previous Congress government could have done a lot more.

Today is independence day so have had 67 years to improve matters!!
There seems to be general agreement that more than 90% of rapes in India go unreported. Of course there is no way of knowing the exact figure but given that a rape victim in India is poorly protected by the law it seems highly improbable that there is a lower incidence of rape than in the UK.

If people want to discuss this more we can move the posts to a new thread in the India forum.
Old Aug 16th 2015, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

There seems to be general agreement that more than 90% of rapes in India go unreported. Of course there is no way of knowing the exact figure but given that a rape victim in India is poorly protected by the law it seems highly improbable that there is a lower incidence of rape than in the UK.

If people want to discuss this more we can move the posts to a new thread in the India forum.
Again you say poorly protected by the law. By the police rather than actual laws is more accurate!!

No reason to discuss. I put forward the idea that Chennai would be an alternative to Sri Lanka as people had mentioned expense.
I found your view of India rather extreme. I have never been to Sri Lanka but an Indian nephew worked there for a charity organisation mainly with rehousing projects. Apparently it is there that human rights issues have come under scrutiny.
Old Aug 16th 2015, 8:44 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

We are deep in our plans to visit sri lanka next year and any tips and information will be more than welocome.
Old Aug 16th 2015, 8:48 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Again you say poorly protected by the law. By the police rather than actual laws is more accurate!!

No reason to discuss. I put forward the idea that Chennai would be an alternative to Sri Lanka as people had mentioned expense.
I found your view of India rather extreme. I have never been to Sri Lanka but an Indian nephew worked there for a charity organisation mainly with rehousing projects. Apparently it is there that human rights issues have come under scrutiny.
I suppose it's because some of the more recent events relate to Brits - I have a similar problem with Tunisia. I look at this through the "discretionary-spend" eyes of a tourist which means I am allowed to be judgemental but only in a narrow context.

It's trite to say some of my best friends are Indian but actually one of my very best friends was Sri Lankan and he was murdered on a business trip to Russia - another place I won't visit.
Old Aug 16th 2015, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

... my problem is that I cannot visit India as long as the female sexual abuse issue is on-going.
... it seems highly improbable that there is a lower incidence of rape than in the UK.
I agree that Bipats quoted figures on rape are unconvincing - but do you really think that regime+social mores in Sri Lanka is more acceptable than that in India?

AndyD 8-)
Old Aug 16th 2015, 9:42 am
Hostage Negotiator

Originally Posted by a_f_d
I agree that Bipats quoted figures on rape are unconvincing - but do you really think that regime+social mores in Sri Lanka is more acceptable than that in India?

AndyD 8-)
Well now you are putting me off going to Sri Lanka - the only places I can go now are ones I know very little about. Maybe I should just be a Google-tourist
Old Aug 16th 2015, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well now you are putting me off going to Sri Lanka - the only places I can go now are ones I know very little about. Maybe I should just be a Google-tourist
Recent link I found.

Why to blacken India on rape do they have to omit the facts? - Telegraph

No reason why you should not visit either country. You might just as well say don't visit UK because of paedophilia??? Reported in almost every newspaper!!