Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Help on relocating from UK to India

Help on relocating from UK to India

Old Apr 9th 2019, 11:35 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 4
Jo Ker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help on relocating from UK to India

Can someone guide me with the info and checklists etc. to relocate from UK to India please? I would be very grateful for any kind help.
Bit of background about our situation. We are Indians but been working in UK for about last ten years. We plan to move back to India for good.

Thank you,
Jo
Jo Ker is offline  
Old Apr 9th 2019, 11:53 pm
  #2  
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 52,333
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help on relocating from UK to India

Do you still have Indian citizenship and passports?
Pulaski is offline  
Old Apr 10th 2019, 1:09 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 4
Jo Ker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help on relocating from UK to India

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Do you still have Indian citizenship and passports?
Spouse and kid are British with OCI.
I am Indian by citizenship.
So no issues on this front.
Jo Ker is offline  
Old Apr 10th 2019, 1:32 pm
  #4  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 20,691
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help on relocating from UK to India

Originally Posted by Jo Ker
Spouse and kid are British with OCI.
I am Indian by citizenship.
So no issues on this front.
I find your post a little difficult to understand. Where are you planning to locate to? (It is a big country!!!).
If you have only been working in the UK for ten years, you presumably have home and family there already?
Bipat is offline  
Old Apr 12th 2019, 12:05 am
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 4
Jo Ker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help on relocating from UK to India

Originally Posted by Bipat
I find your post a little difficult to understand. Where are you planning to locate to? (It is a big country!!!).
If you have only been working in the UK for ten years, you presumably have home and family there already?
Yes, I have most of my family in India spread over Southern India. Planning to relocate to Mumbai where I have my in-laws. We plan to stay with them initially and then may decide to move out to separate house/flat in Mumbai.
I have family - wife and kid. I plan to come back and work for an year or so. We do not have a house and we have been renting all through. So, we do not have expensive furniture but mostly IKEA wardrobes and chest of drawers etc. We do not have much use of these in Mumbai but my brother may find use of these in Goa.
If the cost of sending is more than cost of the stuffs then it does not make sense to send them. In that case what is the best way to get rid of them? I would like to sell them and get some money. What I can not sell I do not mind donating for free.
Jo Ker is offline  
Old Apr 12th 2019, 8:18 am
  #6  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 20,691
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help on relocating from UK to India

Originally Posted by Jo Ker
Yes, I have most of my family in India spread over Southern India. Planning to relocate to Mumbai where I have my in-laws. We plan to stay with them initially and then may decide to move out to separate house/flat in Mumbai.
I have family - wife and kid. I plan to come back and work for an year or so. We do not have a house and we have been renting all through. So, we do not have expensive furniture but mostly IKEA wardrobes and chest of drawers etc. We do not have much use of these in Mumbai but my brother may find use of these in Goa.
If the cost of sending is more than cost of the stuffs then it does not make sense to send them. In that case what is the best way to get rid of them? I would like to sell them and get some money. What I can not sell I do not mind donating for free.
Sorry unable to advise regarding transfer of furniture; we have homes in both countries and alternate between the two.
You might get more info. on transfer costs on the Indiamike Forum.
https://www.indiamike.com/india/
I have read that the glue in IKEA furniture doesn't stand up to India temperatures.

In UK just put an advert 'for sale' in the local newspaper (include the words 'buyer collects'). Or there will be local charities who will take it.
Bipat is offline  
Old Apr 12th 2019, 11:11 pm
  #7  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 4
Jo Ker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help on relocating from UK to India

One of the quotes I have received for relocation is:
Minimum cost would be about 75,000 INR which is a shared container. A full container of goods cost about 3,00,000 INR.
This quote is all inclusive door -to-door , pack, ship, customs, deliver.

If I manage to sell most of my stuffs then I may not have much to send. Are the above quotes reasonable or I can get better deals? I am making enquiries from my end too.

Thanks,
Jo

Jo Ker is offline  
Old Dec 10th 2019, 3:01 am
  #8  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 4
Krishhh is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: Help on relocating from UK to India

Originally Posted by Jo Ker
One of the quotes I have received for relocation is:
Minimum cost would be about 75,000 INR which is a shared container. A full container of goods cost about 3,00,000 INR.
This quote is all inclusive door -to-door , pack, ship, customs, deliver.

If I manage to sell most of my stuffs then I may not have much to send. Are the above quotes reasonable or I can get better deals? I am making enquiries from my end too.

Thanks,
Jo
Hi Jo,

I'm from the UK and moved to India a year back. I have some info that could probably help.


Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 10th 2019 at 7:15 am. Reason: Phone number removed to save you from spambots & weirdos! OP can contact you via the forum if they wish.
Krishhh is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.