Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Help on relocating from UK to India

Help on relocating from UK to India

Old Apr 9th 2019, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

Jo Ker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help on relocating from UK to India

Can someone guide me with the info and checklists etc. to relocate from UK to India please? I would be very grateful for any kind help.
Bit of background about our situation. We are Indians but been working in UK for about last ten years. We plan to move back to India for good.

Thank you,
Jo
Old Apr 9th 2019, 10:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help on relocating from UK to India

Do you still have Indian citizenship and passports?
Old Apr 10th 2019, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Do you still have Indian citizenship and passports?
Spouse and kid are British with OCI.
I am Indian by citizenship.
So no issues on this front.
Old Apr 10th 2019, 12:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jo Ker
Spouse and kid are British with OCI.
I am Indian by citizenship.
So no issues on this front.
I find your post a little difficult to understand. Where are you planning to locate to? (It is a big country!!!).
If you have only been working in the UK for ten years, you presumably have home and family there already?
Old Apr 11th 2019, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bipat
I find your post a little difficult to understand. Where are you planning to locate to? (It is a big country!!!).
If you have only been working in the UK for ten years, you presumably have home and family there already?
Yes, I have most of my family in India spread over Southern India. Planning to relocate to Mumbai where I have my in-laws. We plan to stay with them initially and then may decide to move out to separate house/flat in Mumbai.
I have family - wife and kid. I plan to come back and work for an year or so. We do not have a house and we have been renting all through. So, we do not have expensive furniture but mostly IKEA wardrobes and chest of drawers etc. We do not have much use of these in Mumbai but my brother may find use of these in Goa.
If the cost of sending is more than cost of the stuffs then it does not make sense to send them. In that case what is the best way to get rid of them? I would like to sell them and get some money. What I can not sell I do not mind donating for free.
Old Apr 12th 2019, 7:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I have most of my family in India spread over Southern India. Planning to relocate to Mumbai where I have my in-laws. We plan to stay with them initially and then may decide to move out to separate house/flat in Mumbai.
I have family - wife and kid. I plan to come back and work for an year or so. We do not have a house and we have been renting all through. So, we do not have expensive furniture but mostly IKEA wardrobes and chest of drawers etc. We do not have much use of these in Mumbai but my brother may find use of these in Goa.
If the cost of sending is more than cost of the stuffs then it does not make sense to send them. In that case what is the best way to get rid of them? I would like to sell them and get some money. What I can not sell I do not mind donating for free.
Sorry unable to advise regarding transfer of furniture; we have homes in both countries and alternate between the two.
You might get more info. on transfer costs on the Indiamike Forum.
https://www.indiamike.com/india/
I have read that the glue in IKEA furniture doesn't stand up to India temperatures.

In UK just put an advert 'for sale' in the local newspaper (include the words 'buyer collects'). Or there will be local charities who will take it.
Old Apr 12th 2019, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

One of the quotes I have received for relocation is:
Minimum cost would be about 75,000 INR which is a shared container. A full container of goods cost about 3,00,000 INR.
This quote is all inclusive door -to-door , pack, ship, customs, deliver.

If I manage to sell most of my stuffs then I may not have much to send. Are the above quotes reasonable or I can get better deals? I am making enquiries from my end too.

Thanks,
Jo

Old Dec 10th 2019, 2:01 am
Just Joined

Krishhh is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: Help on relocating from UK to India

One of the quotes I have received for relocation is:
Minimum cost would be about 75,000 INR which is a shared container. A full container of goods cost about 3,00,000 INR.
This quote is all inclusive door -to-door , pack, ship, customs, deliver.

If I manage to sell most of my stuffs then I may not have much to send. Are the above quotes reasonable or I can get better deals? I am making enquiries from my end too.

Thanks,
Jo
Hi Jo,

I'm from the UK and moved to India a year back. I have some info that could probably help.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 10th 2019 at 6:15 am. Reason: Phone number removed to save you from spambots & weirdos! OP can contact you via the forum if they wish.