IT work experience

Old Sep 8th 2010, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

kashifbari is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IT work experience

Dear All,

I am From Pakistan and have 3 years Computer Science Bachelor Degree and 5.1 years of Full-time working experience as 4 years as Software Engineer and 1+ years Analyst Programmer will it work for +ve ACS?or i have to have 4 yeras Bachelor Degree?
Old Sep 8th 2010, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

lloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nice

Hello,

The assessment criteria has changed since 1st July. It generally requires 4 yrs of work experience with a degree major in IT.

2 years is sufficient if at least 65% of the major in the degree is of the same IT disciplinary area of the occupation.

With that explanation, only the ACS is capable of deciding that!

However, if you feel the major in your degree has a lot of subjects that are in the same discipline as your nominated occupation, then 2 years is good.

I have a Masters and a Bachelors in Computer Applications and Computer Science, with 2.5 yrs experience as a Software engineer. I guess thats good enough for a degree found to be highly relevant

Today, my application to the ACS went to 'in processing', so let's see how it goes from here.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

kashifbari is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks lloydk,i wish you all the best and please keep udating me as i am about to lodge my app in near future.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

abrahamin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kashifbari
Dear All,

I am From Pakistan and have 3 years Computer Science Bachelor Degree and 5.1 years of Full-time working experience as 4 years as Software Engineer and 1+ years Analyst Programmer will it work for +ve ACS?or i have to have 4 yeras Bachelor Degree?
Kashif,
i suppose you are eligible to apply with ACS
Old Jan 31st 2011, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

FutureOz2016 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FutureOz2016
What happens if the degree's largely in IT (with some Maths modules) and the occupation's IT support/admin. But the IT content of the degree is a mixture of programming, databases, user interface design?
Originally Posted by SD_MOA
As this criteria has only been in place since 1st July the detail is largely untested. But from what you state in your post it sounds like you would be needing 4 years experience.
I'm in the middle of an OU degree but I've actually altered my plans to a degree in Computing and another subject (either Maths or Stats, though it's not for reasons of suitability for migrating, I just like Maths!)

If the degree's in two subjects including computing then does that mean it has a major in IT (computing)?

Someone's mentioned 65% in IT, where'd that come from?

So would that mean I would require at least two years experience (in a suitable job) rather than four?

Another complicating factor is that the work experience would be in technical IT but none of the OU computing modules would be in technical IT (they'd be in programming).