Why leave Australia?

Old Aug 18th 2002, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

dpr21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why leave Australia?

For the Aussie-Bashers

Each to their own. However having just spent 3.5 years in the UK and a short time in Perth - what a load of garbage.

The UK may be great for well-paid work but it is one of the most unfriendly, bureaucratic, pedantic places on earth (apologies to all Northeners and Scots for whom that is not at all true).

e.g. despite being professionals (wife and self ) it took 4 months of paid employment in the UK before we could get a credit card (and this despite having a sister with UK citizenship who is a medical consultant and was willing to stand surety). Here (in Perth) without even having work lined up we already have cards, accounts, and car loans (<3 weeks). Try get anything done in the UK and all they do is pass the buck "Sorry we don't do that here!!" Sh**t this wouldn't be a problem if you could find somebody who did do it. if I could write a little (or a lot) better that would be my title for a book about the UK.

As for lack of friendliness and being anal. Have you considered that you might be the problem?

Not being ethnic I can't comment on Aussie attitudes maybe that's a problem and I will agree that the serious UK media is a lot better than the Oz equivalent but so. I knew that before I came. Nothing wrong with the internet/pay TV or is it the fact that you have to pay that gets up your nose?

You clearly think Oz is a crap place in which case you should move. I don't think it is perfect but for us it's great.

DPR

PS relatively speaking football (the round ball variety) is fairly 'new' here. Considering you invented the game and it's probably the only sport that gets serious money in the UK, England are hardly world-beaters
Old Aug 18th 2002, 11:23 pm
Ian Harris

I went to Oz for a holiday last year,

staying initially with relatives and then onto Sydney for a week.

during our time there, my family and I only encountered one ignorant/awkward
Australian. Everybody else we met and spoke to went out of their way to be courteous
and friendly both on the streets and in shops and restaurants etc.

In Sydney itself, we heard no bad language, very little graffiti, no gangs of teenage
kids or lager louts etc hanging about on the streets or in malls behaving badly and I
felt very very safe (though I am sure, that Sydney has its problem occupants like
anywhere else).

What I,m trying to say that compared to Wales (where I live) and various parts of
England, The areas and People of Australia we met were absolutely brilliant
towards us.

If all anyone here can do is find fault with Oz and it`s people, stay in the
U.K., don`t inflict you`r negative attitude on another country.

regards

Ian Harris

Old Aug 19th 2002, 12:09 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Autralia is less bureaucratic than UK , lets me stop laughing before I come fall off my chair .This country was a penal colony and regaurding the plublic service (a joke there ) they still run it like one.As for the round ball game more play it here than any other , the league and national side is very poorly run , the game it self has been here for 60 years has been hindered because Aussie Rules Football is runing scared of it.I do believe England has one of best leagues in the world and has won the World Cup last time Australia made it to the World Cup was 30years ago that was the one and only time .Nice to hear that Aussies are going back home from UK they tend to bring most places down to their level , better here than UK.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Aug 19th 2002 at 5:53 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2002, 4:21 pm
Andrew

With 2 small kids regularly watching Teletubbies on TV 'living in la la land...' is
not quite the insult you intend it to be :-)) True, skin cancer is a concern to us
all (not just parents) but I doubt that those parents that have watched their kids
develop skin cancer in the UK won't be much comforted by thinking 'well at least
there are less cases of cancer here in Britain'. Also, I'm not sure that the white
unhealthy pasty look has become a 'rage' in the UK either - why else would all those
Brits go holidaying in Greece, Portugal, and Spain? The UK does have 'more' than Oz
is some aspects - for example, more money and job opportunities and also more misery
and bitterness. Best to pick which country suites your needs most.

Strangely enough the 'statistics'quoted actually underestimate the danger of skin
cancer. Here is a better source of information for would-be-migrants:

http://www.sunsmart.com.au/

Both my parents (are white and) have lived their entire lives in Jamaica in the West
Indies. Only my mother has developed minor skin cancer due to (excessive) sun-tanning
when she was younger, and this was easily removed. By taking sensible precautions we
should be able to reduce the risks down to a manageable level.

Also if Perth companies always hire foreign workers first, surely that would
mean that all would-be-migrants to Perth would have better job prospects than
local Aussies?

Regards, AndyH Brisbane.

pommie bastard <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Great to see the defenders of Australia working hard ,how come the only good thing
    > in Australia seems to the weather and beaches, Also those who think kids will do
    > better here are living in la la land ,most here avoid sunning them selfs 1 in 3
    > have skin cancer and have found out it also ages skin looking like a leather
    > handbag is not the in look. Schools here in Perth and most of Australia have no air
    > con so kids are in class rooms that are above 40degs in summer both kids and
    > teachers can not cope with it add that to big classes under funded schools great
    > start in life. Unemployment here is nearly twice what it is in UK even harder to
    > get jobs for the young.Sport here is god everything else poor second , most skilled
    > and professional people are not Aussie born due to other countrys have better
    > education and training stardards so most companies look for foreign workers first
    > when filling jobs. If you think UK has draw backs come to the promised land and and
    > find there is no promised land , the land of plenty is only in your dreams.
    >

Old Aug 19th 2002, 5:35 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

more misery and bitterness..

If want that come to Australia it will not let let you down ,most Aborigines can out do any Brit by far .People do here die of skin cancer its not a minor thing.
The only suicides in life I have come across have been here , a 16 year old hung his self 2 days after we moved house , 18 year old girl thrown her self off freeway bridge when I was on way home .Add that to a friend who came here same time as us parents are millionairs back in UK topped his self on over dose because he lost his job found it hard to get employed again here and felt a failure.
Yes if you Chinese and willing to work for peanuts jobs not a problem ,locals tend to want a living wage greedy buggers .
Employers do like to employ Brits because training and education is higher in UK only draw back they are finding workers from UK want a fair wage so have a great thing called free enterprise bargaining which enables you to forgo good wages and scale down conditions Maggi god bless her would love it.Telly tubbies also on here , ABC here imports at lest a third of its programs from UK ,you will also find some on channel 7,8 and 9 also SBS and Pay TV even the Aussies know UK has best TV in the world ,they export crap like Home and Away and some sad sods in UK watch it.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Aug 19th 2002 at 6:00 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2002, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

lizzie is an unknown quantity at this point

[i]The only suicides in life I have come across have been here , a 16 year old hung his self 2 days after we moved house , 18 year old girl thrown her self off freeway bridge when I was on way home .Add that to a friend who came here same time as us parents are millionairs back in UK topped his self on over dose because he lost his job found it hard to get employed again here and felt a failure.
I'm sure I don't need to point out that Australia doesn't have a monopoly on suicides - there is depression, sadness and failure throughout the world. In my 36 years of life I have personally known 3 people who have taken their own lives.

Regards

Lizzie
Old Aug 20th 2002, 12:20 am
Chris

"pommie bastard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by willywh3r3:
    > >
    > >
    > > How about Ian Thorpe?
    > Yes nice lad can swim a bit , what about Mr Hewit more like typical Aussie
    > sportsman .not to bright yob who can play tennis who cares. Where are the inventors
    > the thinkers , the movers and shakers people who make the world a better place .I
    > like sport and admire people who are good but at the end of the day games are just
    > that and no more.

Kind of like Brits at a soccer game... they move and shake the whole stadium.

> Sport is hardly mind expanding by the way where the Aussies at the Football World
    > Cup the only game that can be called a World game.

Your knowledge of invention in Australia is somewhat lacking. The problem with
Australian invention is the lack of backing it receives from our financial
institutions. The common story here is that foreign companies buy Australian
ideas, and capitalise upon them, as it is quite tough to secure the cash to back
new ideas locally.

Chris

>
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 20th 2002, 12:24 am
Chris

"pommie bastard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Autralia is less bureaucratic than UK , lets me stop laughing before I come fall
    > off my chair .This country was a penal colony and regaurding the plublic service (a
    > joke there ) they still run it like one.As for the round ball game more play it
    > here than any other , the league and national side is very poorly run , the game it
    > self has been here for 60 years has been hindered because Aussie Rules Football is
    > runing scared of it.I do believe England has one of best leagues in the world and
    > has won the World Cup last time Australia made it to the World Cup was 30years ago
    > that was the one and only time .Nce to hear that Aussies are going back home from
    > UK they tend to bring most places down to their level , better here than UK.
    >

You're from the UK, right? I was under the impression that people from the UK
generally spoke and wrote English, so what's your story?

Chris

> --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 20th 2002, 11:40 am
Banned

What Australia invention,jet engine ,television ,radar ,steam engine , maybe computers sorry all British .I work in a so called Hi Tec company in Perth all the top engineers are Brits and I grow tired of the bull about Australia ideas are being ripped off.watched some program about the black box in planes the guy that had the idea was born in Australia but got it made and developed in you guessed it UK.Sorry about my written English been here too long I am coming down to Australian level.By the way what Australia companies most here are owned by either American ,British or Jap muti-nationals , you must mean the hunderds of utes that pass me each morning with mixers on the back .:lecture: :lecture: :lecture:
Old Aug 20th 2002, 5:34 pm
Misterbean

Mmm . If it is so bad - what does that say about the decision process to come here..
And why are others thinking of doing the same... Great to see the defenders of
Australia working hard ,how come the only good thing in Australia seems to the
weather and beaches, Winter in Melbourne now - not that pleasant - but how much
more unpleasant is an English winter. Went to the beach twice last year - but
it's always possible in the car.

Also went scuba diving many times on world class dive sites for $50 a trip. Also
those who think kids will do better here are living in la la land ,most here avoid
sunning them selfs 1 in 3 have skin cancer and have found out it also ages skin
looking like a leather handbag is not the in

look. Yep - the ozone layer is a problem and probably deteriorating. Wish more people
took the causes seriously Schools here in Perth and most of Australia have no air con
so kids are in class rooms that are above 40degs in summer both kids and teachers
can not cope with it add that to big classes under funded schools great start in
life. I've seen some great designs in schools in WA - and there are some that could
be a lot better. On balance though the average is pretty good i would believe. And
exists worse that what you describe also. Now - how about schools in the UK? Damp -
old - metal detectors for knives and guns? And yes - we also have a drug problem -
though why our Governments can't apply themselves as diligently to Drugs as they do
to Speeding motorists. As an Island it should be possible to keep the grugs out!
Unemployment here is nearly twice what it is in UK even harder to get jobs for the
young. Really !! So youth employment is easy somewhere in the World - happy to hear
that. Sport here is god everything else poor second like pop music, theatre, music,
some sports administrators would love to be able to draw the crowds that midweek
soccer matches obviously enjoy in Europe. ,most skilled and professional people are
not Aussie born due to other countries have better education and training standards
so most companies

look for foreign workers first when filling jobs. And so many Aussies are all around
the world doing the reverse - for the same reasons? If you think UK has draw backs
come to the promised land and and find there is no promised land , the land of plenty
is only in your dreams. Or where it should be - in your mind - aspirations -
attitudes - education. If it's in your 'dreams' it's likely to stay there!

Old Aug 20th 2002, 5:39 pm
Misterbean

Yep - we'll have to 'force' a few kids to play soccer if we want to improve our
position there. Still we did it for the Commonwealth Games and the Olympics.. World
cup of soccer shouldn't be too hard. But do I detect quite a few soccer players
earning a quid overseas?? Hally Kuhl..Mark Viduka.. And anyway - if that doesn't work
- we'll just have to 'immigrate' some.. like Tatiana Grigorieva.. <smile>

Old Aug 20th 2002, 5:53 pm
Misterbean

Mmmm

First jet plane - Messerschmitt TV - The Russians have some interesting claims on
cathode ray tubes also.. Instrument landing radar at Airports - Australian. Australia
became pretty self sufficient in steam locomotive production - European weren't
strong enough and too far away. And we don't have steam locomotives anymore! The
black box is an Australian idea - of some consequence - among many..

Another problem with inventions tends to be the size of this place as a market!

What Australia invention,jet engine ,television ,radar ,steam engine , maybe
computers sorry all British .I work in a so called Hi Tec company in Perth all the
top engineers are Brits and I grow tired of the bull about Australia ideas are being
ripped off.watched some program about the black box in planes the guy that had the
idea was born in Australia but got it made and developed in you guessed it UK.Sorry
about my written English been here too long I am coming down to Australian level.By
the way what Australia companies most here are owned by either American ,British or
Jap muti-nationals , you must mean the hunderds of utes that pass me each morning
with mixers on the back .:lecture: :lecture: :lecture:

Old Aug 20th 2002, 6:12 pm
Alex V. Stoddard

Poles are a race?

> Well, you, Lisa Deutsch, are racist. I am sensitive as far as my fatherland -
    > Poland is concerned. If you would be attacking just myself - then no problem. But
    > you spread racist anti-Polish views.
    > The highest mountain in Australia is named by Polish and has Polish name. There are
    > several people of Polish origin in Australia too...

Old Aug 20th 2002, 6:20 pm
Banned

Originally posted by Misterbean:
Yep - we'll have to 'force' a few kids to play soccer if we want to improve our
position there. Still we did it for the Commonwealth Games and the Olympics.. World
cup of soccer shouldn't be too hard. But do I detect quite a few soccer players
earning a quid overseas?? Hally Kuhl..Mark Viduka.. And anyway - if that doesn't work
- we'll just have to 'immigrate' some.. like Tatiana Grigorieva.. <smile>
I think even without the Scots and Welch England won more medals on track and field than Australia the rest of games are micky mouse sports.Nobody has to force kids here to play soccer they prefer it just Australian team is poor.Harry Kewel left here at 16years old to train with Leeds look what a good job they did.How many gold medals did Australia win on track and field in Sidney just one, very poor .Brag , brag thats the Australia way modest , polite good mannered no fear might make this a better place to live.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Aug 20th 2002 at 6:33 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2002, 6:47 pm
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Misterbean:
Mmmm

First jet plane - Messerschmitt TV - The Russians have some interesting claims on
cathode ray tubes also.. Instrument landing radar at Airports - Australian. Australia
became pretty self sufficient in steam locomotive production - European weren't
strong enough and too far away. And we don't have steam locomotives anymore! The
black box is an Australian idea - of some consequence - among many..

First Jet Engine was made by Frank Whittle ,First radar used and made by the British during Second world war.TV first again Mr Bard British , without the steam engine no industrial revolution .No Great Britain no Captian Cook, no convicts no Australia no Australians .Dont you wish you could turn the clock back just over 2 hunderd years try and convince the Dutch or French that this island was worth having .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.