Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Who do we have to inform before emigrating?

Who do we have to inform before emigrating?

Old Sep 11th 2003, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

greta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Who do we have to inform before emigrating?

Hi Guys,
We are about to emigrate from UK, but is there anything we have to do officially this end before we up sticks and move to Oz. Do we have to inform anyone about our intending move. My husband is self-employed and is still in the process of organising his tax returns with his accountant. We are ready to leave for Australia now, but do we have to wait until his tax accounts are finalised, or can we go and pay what we owe once we are there?
If anyone can advise me on this or anything else that we have to do before leaving the Uk I,d be very grateful.

Thanks Greta
Old Sep 12th 2003, 12:46 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

This is actually a good point, and something I haven't thought about. When I left the UK, it was only to be a temporary extended holiday. But I never made it back.

I'd be interested to know if there's something I need to do.

I know I'm still paying tax on my bank interest (not worth worrying about), and I'm contracted out of SERPS anyway. But is there anything else?

Cheers,
brisnick
Old Sep 12th 2003, 3:59 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by brisnick
This is actually a good point, and something I haven't thought about. When I left the UK, it was only to be a temporary extended holiday. But I never made it back.

I'd be interested to know if there's something I need to do.

I know I'm still paying tax on my bank interest (not worth worrying about), and I'm contracted out of SERPS anyway. But is there anything else?

Cheers,
brisnick

Tell the Inland Revenue www.ir.gov.uk, fill out form P85 (I think) and send to them. You are more likely to be owed tax by them than the other way round (at least if you were PAYE). They tend to pay up quite fast
Old Sep 12th 2003, 11:59 pm
Humphrey Davy

Default Re: Who do we have to inform before emigrating?

I did 2 things as far as I can remember - firstly inform the tax authorities
(as described below) and then tell the relevant folk to stop child benefit.

Old Sep 13th 2003, 12:11 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

There is nothing to stop you informing the IR once you have left. What are they going to do?
Old Sep 13th 2003, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by bondipom
There is nothing to stop you informing the IR once you have left. What are they going to do?

Have trouble giving you your tax rebate back ???????
Old Sep 13th 2003, 11:41 pm
Jaj

You can file your UK tax returns from Australia. There is no need to
get a tax clearance to leave the UK, although if you let your UK tax
bills go unpaid the Inland Revenue would be waiting for you if you
were ever to return.

Jeremy

>On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 00:11:39 +0000, bondipom <[email protected]> wrote:
    >There is nothing to stop you informing the IR once you have left. What
    >are they going to do?
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

This is not intended to be legal advice in any jurisdiction

Old Sep 15th 2003, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

greta is an unknown quantity at this point

THANKS EVERYONE,
All the info was really helpful. I dont know how I would have coped without this site. At least now I know that what ever I dont get done before I go, I can do once I,m there. Much nicer to be doing my Tax Return sitting in the sun by the pool, rather than watching the pouring rain through the window.

Greta
Old Sep 16th 2003, 11:41 am
tennisoz

Originally posted by greta
Hi Guys,
We are about to emigrate from UK, but is there anything we have to do officially this end before we up sticks and move to Oz. Do we have to inform anyone about our intending move. My husband is self-employed and is still in the process of organising his tax returns with his accountant. We are ready to leave for Australia now, but do we have to wait until his tax accounts are finalised, or can we go and pay what we owe once we are there?
If anyone can advise me on this or anything else that we have to do before leaving the Uk I,d be very grateful.

Thanks Greta
Greta

I hadn't thought about this and will have to do the same thing myself when moving. However, I think the replies somewhat understated what has to be done.

I personally would be notifying my insurance companies for car, house and contents policies (to get any rebates on premiums we might be due and to stop any direct debits, standing orders etc); the bank - stopping SO's, DD's, closing accounts; the council (rebate on the council tax); Sky (to cancel the satellite); DVLC Swansea (to get a refund on road tax); the Post Office (to redirect the mail); BT and One-Tel, Scottish Power etc to get final bills etc, etc. Cancel the paper, the milk, magazine subscriptions, get a refund on any membership subscriptions, etc, etc, etc. The notion that you just have to notify Inland Revenue seems a bit over simplistic to me!! I think I would also have a change of address notice to send to all the above and more, plus friends etc.

Good luck

TennisOz

Old Sep 16th 2003, 11:55 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

If you do a search on both forums there have been a couple of long threads with people adding to the list which was very comprehensive in the end complete with make a will and get an enduring power of attorney etc. before you leave.