Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Whats the best town, city or 'burb to imigrate to???

Whats the best town, city or 'burb to imigrate to???

Old Sep 20th 2002, 10:30 pm
M. Schmidt

Default Whats the best town, city or 'burb to imigrate to???

Hi all, we've got our medical request. And if all is going on we will be in
Oz in the next half year - but where ? Where are the best possibilitys?

Many thanx in advance

Michael

Old Sep 20th 2002, 10:30 pm
M. Schmidt

Default Re: Whats the best town, city or 'burb to imigrate to???

sorry for double-posting ("the nervous finger")

"M. Schmidt" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all, we've got our medical request. And if all is going on we will be
in
    > Oz in the next half year - but where ? Where are the best possibilitys?
    > Many thanx in advance
    > Michael

Old Sep 21st 2002, 12:52 am
Robert Edwards

Most importantly, what are you looking for, work, housing, etc

"M. Schmidt" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > sorry for double-posting ("the nervous finger")
    > "M. Schmidt" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi all, we've got our medical request. And if all is going on we will be
    > in
    > > Oz in the next half year - but where ? Where are the best possibilitys?
    > >
    > > Many thanx in advance
    > >
    > > Michael
    > >
    > >

Old Sep 26th 2002, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

kaleb777 is an unknown quantity at this point

Job wise, Adelaide is probably the worst of the mainland capital cities. Sydney has a lot of opportunity but is very expensive, and sprawling. If you can't afford to pay high rents or house prices you'll be stuck in the outer suburbs with a 2 hour commute. Melbourne is very cosmopolitan, has a building boom on at the moment, and has a lot more going for it. Brisbane is booming too. I'm not sure about Perth.

Weather wise, Melbourne weather changes very quickly. Last summer they has one day with 40C and the next the temperature dropped to 18C. In winter Melbourne and Sydney are cold. Adelaide is cold too in winter, but gets 40C+ heatwaves in summer. Perth weather is nice. Not too humid, hot or cold. Brisbane is dry in winter and wet in summer. Brisbane gets cool winter days down to 19C with the nights falling to around 10C. Summers are hot, usually over 30C with a few weeks of high 30s and even some 40s. Brisbane is also the most humid capital city, maybe more than Darwin. Darwin has two seasons, hot/wet and hot/dry. Hobart gets snow in the hills in winter, and there aren't many job oportunities there.

Wherever you go, learn to accept and love the differences.
Old Sep 26th 2002, 5:05 am
anthony

I heard that in Perth many places including Airport/train/schools station has no air conditioning during hot summer. It must be very stuffy and hot.

How often Melbourne and Adelaide get too hot (40C)? Is it few days in few years? Or Is it few days every year?

Does it rain a lot in Melbourne or Adelaide?

Originally posted by kaleb777:
Job wise, Adelaide is probably the worst of the mainland capital cities. Sydney has a lot of opportunity but is very expensive, and sprawling. If you can't afford to pay high rents or house prices you'll be stuck in the outer suburbs with a 2 hour commute. Melbourne is very cosmopolitan, has a building boom on at the moment, and has a lot more going for it. Brisbane is booming too. I'm not sure about Perth.

Weather wise, Melbourne weather changes very quickly. Last summer they has one day with 40C and the next the temperature dropped to 18C. In winter Melbourne and Sydney are cold. Adelaide is cold too in winter, but gets 40C+ heatwaves in summer. Perth weather is nice. Not too humid, hot or cold. Brisbane is dry in winter and wet in summer. Brisbane gets cool winter days down to 19C with the nights falling to around 10C. Summers are hot, usually over 30C with a few weeks of high 30s and even some 40s. Brisbane is also the most humid capital city, maybe more than Darwin. Darwin has two seasons, hot/wet and hot/dry. Hobart gets snow in the hills in winter, and there aren't many job oportunities there.

Wherever you go, learn to accept and love the differences.

Old Sep 26th 2002, 5:21 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by M. Schmidt:
Hi all, we've got our medical request. And if all is going on we will be in
Oz in the next half year - but where ? Where are the best possibilitys?

Many thanx in advance

Michael
Hi,
if you don't want to go to the large cities, like Sydney which is expensive for housing.... what about something like Newcastle, which is a city/town which is only a couple of hours drive from Sydney... but housing is a lot cheaper, I'd say it's on par with Brisbane prices... unless it's gone up since I was there a few years ago.

I lived in Newcastle before Brisbane, and I loved it there... I liked the people, found them totally different to Sydney and Brisbane people... very friendly... perhaps because it's an industrial town... very down to earth.
Although it's an industrial town, it has some lovely beaches and landscape around there... it's not what you would expect from an industrial town.

cheers
Old Sep 26th 2002, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

Adelaide always gets at least 3 weeks of 38-45C. The rest of summer is mid 30s but it's a dry heat. I've been told that 45C in Adelaide feels like 35C in Brisbane because Brisbane is so humid. The western suburbs of Brisbane usually get high 30s in summer, as do the western suburbs of Sydney away from the sea breezes. Melbourne will get a few 40C+ days in summer but usually Melbourne will stay around the low 30s. All capital cities except Darwin and Hobart will get a few days over 40 each year. Some heatwaves last up to a week. Darwin has equatorial weather. It's always around 32C. Hobart might get up to 30 in summer.
Old Sep 26th 2002, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

Most public places are air conditioned. All malls and most stores are. Trains are. Public buildings are and many homes have air conditioning, even if it is only in the bedroom. Most homes have at least ceiling fans. Some of the busiest days at the movies are during heat waves. You'll find the malls full of old people during summer, but believe me you soon get used to it. When winter comes around in Brisbane and temps drop to 19C everyone, including ex-Brits, feel the chill in the air :-)
Old Sep 26th 2002, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Perth's Airports and trains and buses are aircondiditoned. I am not sure about schools as it has been a while since I have been to one.
Perth has a pretty good prospect for job hunting, but it depends on what you do for a living. I has one of, if not the cheapest housing economy. If you move to Sydney or thereabouts it costs atleast 3 times the amount for a house.
Old Sep 26th 2002, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

micky will become famous soon enoughmicky will become famous soon enough

I've also heard that most schools in Perth dont have air con.
I think I'll email afew and ask. I'll let you know the replies.
Love Shona x
Old Sep 26th 2002, 3:19 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ceri:

Hi,
if you don't want to go to the large cities, like Sydney which is expensive for housing.... what about something like Newcastle, which is a city/town which is only a couple of hours drive from Sydney... but housing is a lot cheaper, I'd say it's on par with Brisbane prices... unless it's gone up since I was there a few years ago.

I lived in Newcastle before Brisbane, and I loved it there... I liked the people, found them totally different to Sydney and Brisbane people... very friendly... perhaps because it's an industrial town... very down to earth.
Although it's an industrial town, it has some lovely beaches and landscape around there... it's not what you would expect from an industrial town.

cheers
Agree Agree, I am in Sydney for work reasons, high prices etc, Ceri is correct Newcastle has the lot, and close to Anna Bay, Port Stephens etc Wonderful, I feel I am only living half my dream until I get a full time job up in this region.

If you like cities - my vote is then Melbourne, lucky me gets to work in both, only a few days at a time in Melbourne. Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide haven't been yet but looking forward to visits some time.

Cheers