Internet flight booking/baggage allowance?

Old Sep 26th 2002, 8:51 am
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold
Default Internet flight booking/baggage allowance?

Hi all

Apologys if this is a dumb question.

We are looking to book our flights now and I have been looking at ebookers and have noticed they have some good prices. I have never booked a flight over the net before and have a few questions.
I have heard somewhere on this news group that as migrants we can claim an extra baggage allowance.
Q1 We are going on a work-to-residence visa not a PR visa can we still get this extra allowance?

Q2 What is the allowance ?

Q3 How do I claim this allowance when booking over the net?

I do not want to get to the airport only to find we haven't got an extra allowance and have to pay!

We are a bit rusty on air travel due to 2 kids & 1 income we haven't been abroad for 7 yrs so as you can imagine we are in at the deep end a bit
So any advise no matter how obvious it may seem would be gratefully appriciated.

Thanx

Paula
Old Sep 26th 2002, 2:04 pm

Debbie Jo has a spectacular aura aboutDebbie Jo has a spectacular aura aboutDebbie Jo has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Internet flight booking/baggage allowance?

Originally posted by Watt Dabney:
Hi all

We are looking to book our flights now and I have been looking at ebookers and have noticed they have some good prices. I have never booked a flight over the net before and have a few questions.
I have heard somewhere on this news group that as migrants we can claim an extra baggage allowance.
Q1 We are going on a work-to-residence visa not a PR visa can we still get this extra allowance?

I do not want to get to the airport only to find we haven't got an extra allowance and have to pay!

We are a bit rusty on air travel due to 2 kids & 1 income we haven't been abroad for 7 yrs so as you can imagine we are in at the deep end a bit
So any advise no matter how obvious it may seem would be gratefully appriciated.

Thanx

Paula
Hi
We have just booked our flights going on PR visa with Singapore Airlines and we have double luggage allowence. We have to fax our passports to show we are immigrating. I don,t know if this will apply to you as your not on a PR visa. British Airways and Quantas also allow double allowance. If your still unsure just call in at your local travel agent they are quite helpful also when do you plan on going because we have had difficulty getting flights as they are scares between Oct & Dec. Hope i;ve been of help good luck with your new life.

Debbie Jo
Old Sep 26th 2002, 2:29 pm
ian
Ping Pom

ian is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Internet flight booking/baggage allowance?

We booked with Singapore Airlines through ebookers.

The tickets came with the normal 20kg baggage limit each (as I haven't found a website booking that allows you to specify this), so all we had to do was telephone one of the Singapore Airlines offices and tell them we were emmigrating...and that was it...baggage allowance changed.

No need to fax passports or anything.

Well, almost true...I visited Oz on my PR visa for a brief visit, so had to write a letter to Customer Services to explain why my visa had been validated...and that I wasn't emmigrating twice!!! The rest of the family allowance was changed on the phone, so you should have no problems.

Tell you whether we get through check-in ok in a couple of weeks

ian

Originally posted by Watt Dabney:
Hi all

Thanx

Paula
Old Sep 26th 2002, 3:22 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Internet flight booking/baggage allowance?

Paula,

I think you may find it harder to get double allowance wuithout the PR visa as evidence but worth a try. If you get 2 or 3 competitive quotes, why not explain work to residence and that it equates you hope to PR, then see who wants your business and is prepared to give you double baggage allowance?

Good luck - Don