We have a problem - Work Reference

Old Sep 28th 2008, 7:38 pm
sorry..I don't understand

funkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the rough
Default We have a problem - Work Reference

Hi guys, looking for some skilled input here.

We have a problem now that we have our case officer as we've been asked to provide employment evidence for my husband.

Our problem is that he works for my dad's company. Telling my dad about us going is likely to result in him losing his job. If we do this then don't get a visa we will be in deep poo.

We can gather evidence of start date, payslips, and everything that they ask for but the person who would do this is the office manager (who happens to be my husband!)

What are we going to do?
Old Sep 28th 2008, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

ice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to all
Default Re: We have a problem - Work Reference

Originally Posted by funkydelia
Hi guys, looking for some skilled input here.

We have a problem now that we have our case officer as we've been asked to provide employment evidence for my husband.

Our problem is that he works for my dad's company. Telling my dad about us going is likely to result in him losing his job. If we do this then don't get a visa we will be in deep poo.

We can gather evidence of start date, payslips, and everything that they ask for but the person who would do this is the office manager (who happens to be my husband!)

What are we going to do?
oh my you haven't told your dad??? why would he sack him as he's familY!?!?!?
Old Sep 28th 2008, 8:23 pm

funkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the rough

We wanted to have the visa and be really sure we were going before we upset people.

Its a really difficult situation as I believe my dad wants my husband and brother to take over the family business when he retires. He's likely to be really angry but we can't move for ages due to ill health on the other side of the family. We're a bit stuck.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Hi,

I thnk there are many people faced with the confidentiality situation you mention - although not always so close to family and home!!

I have managed to bring in a close colleague who I trust to attend to the details of a work reference. This is quite high stakes for them and us, due to the stance taken by the company concerned about references.

I also had a similar scenario with family members: some knew, some did not.

The simple answer to this is weigh up the pros and cons, then do the right thing: whatever that may be. It may also help to consult an agent, if you have not already done so. They may have advice about when and what you need to do for references. I am sure your case may have been dealt with in the past by agents in different situations.

You might like to pass the full situation by someone you trust: make high stress decisions in a low stress environment, as our armed forces would say.

I imagine that there is quite high stress running around your houshold right now....

Twinset
Old Sep 29th 2008, 7:18 am

Thank you. We had a talk about it last night and came up with the same conclusion.

I know the form said they would make their decision on the information presented to them at the time so if we sent everything they asked for it may be enough. Its a bit of a big maybe to hang your future on though!!
Old Sep 29th 2008, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

BroomeChick will become famous soon enough

Great news on your CO Funkydelia!
Well done!! Hopefully I won't be too far behind you.

Good luck with it all.x
Old Sep 29th 2008, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Doh!! I should read people's signatures more closely - well done Funkydelia!!

I suspect I am a fair way behind you - but that is all part of the plan......!!

Twinset
Old Sep 29th 2008, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

coops432 is on a distinguished road

Thank you. We had a talk about it last night and came up with the same conclusion.

I know the form said they would make their decision on the information presented to them at the time so if we sent everything they asked for it may be enough. Its a bit of a big maybe to hang your future on though!!
best of luck with it, i'm sure everything will work out.

I didn't get a letter from my employer to prove i worked there so did a stat dec declaring i may loose my job if i told current boss about Oz visa.

Well done with the CO though.

Coops
Old Sep 29th 2008, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by coops432
best of luck with it, i'm sure everything will work out.

I didn't get a letter from my employer to prove i worked there so did a stat dec declaring i may loose my job if i told current boss about Oz visa.

Well done with the CO though.

Coops
This is really interesting! It might be something we could do plus we have additional information to supplement. What, roughly, did it say?

I found one online by the colebecks (who I think are posters on this site too)

Statutory Declaration

I, [First Name] [Surname] of [Address] do solemnly and sincerely declare as follows:

I was employed / have been self-employed as a [ job title(s) ] by [Company Name] between DD/MM/YYYY and DD/MM/YYYY.

[for Stat Decs regarding employment] I cannot obtain a reference from [Company Name] as they have stopped trading/they have not kept any records regarding my employment.

During my period of employment / self-employment with / trading as [Company Name] I would perform the following tasks and duties on a day to day basis:

[give details in bullet point format]

I used the following tools and equipment:

[give list]

I make this solemn declaration believing the same to be true and by virtue of the Statutory Declarations Act 1835

Signed: [your signature]

Declared at: [Solicitors Address]

On this [Day] Day of [Month/Year]

Before me,

[solicitors signature]

[Solicitor’s Name, Occupation, Address]

Think it would be ok????

Last edited by funkydelia; Sep 29th 2008 at 7:10 pm. Reason: Googletastic
Old Sep 29th 2008, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

This is really interesting! It might be something we could do plus we have additional information to supplement. What, roughly, did it say?

I found one online by the colebecks (who I think are posters on this site too)

Statutory Declaration

I, [First Name] [Surname] of [Address] do solemnly and sincerely declare as follows:

I was employed / have been self-employed as a [ job title(s) ] by [Company Name] between DD/MM/YYYY and DD/MM/YYYY.

[for Stat Decs regarding employment] I cannot obtain a reference from [Company Name] as they have stopped trading/they have not kept any records regarding my employment.

During my period of employment / self-employment with / trading as [Company Name] I would perform the following tasks and duties on a day to day basis:

[give details in bullet point format]

I used the following tools and equipment:

[give list]

I make this solemn declaration believing the same to be true and by virtue of the Statutory Declarations Act 1835

Signed: [your signature]

Declared at: [Solicitors Address]

On this [Day] Day of [Month/Year]

Before me,

[solicitors signature]

[Solicitor’s Name, Occupation, Address]

Think it would be ok????
in a manner of speaking... yes

Instead of......

I put that it would jeporadise my current employment to ask my emloyer for a reference.

It was honest as it takes so bloody long for visa's to be granted i don't wanna be booted from a bloody well paid job.

Coops
Old Sep 30th 2008, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

tim n abby will become famous soon enoughtim n abby will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by coops432
in a manner of speaking... yes

Instead of......

I put that it would jeporadise my current employment to ask my emloyer for a reference.

It was honest as it takes so bloody long for visa's to be granted i don't wanna be booted from a bloody well paid job.

Coops
Hey there

If you're doing the statutory declaration or affidavit, I'd also suggest that you include the other details they ask for in a standard DIAC reference – whether the position was full time or part time, contract or permanent, and how many hours per week are worked. You should also include salary details.

(We've had to go back three times in order to get all this info in one document!)

Good luck
Abby (& Tim)
Old Sep 30th 2008, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

One of the things I did was get as much documentation as poss from work - job descriptions, competency frameworks, appraisal histories, downloads of job history etc.

It all helps!!

Twinset
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tim n abby
Hey there

If you're doing the statutory declaration or affidavit, I'd also suggest that you include the other details they ask for in a standard DIAC reference – whether the position was full time or part time, contract or permanent, and how many hours per week are worked. You should also include salary details.

(We've had to go back three times in order to get all this info in one document!)

Good luck
Abby (& Tim)
Cheers but i'm using a visa beurau, they have sorted everything for me, well they best had.

Coops
Old Dec 1st 2008, 4:19 pm
Mauritian Member

jen_mj12 is an unknown quantity at this point

hello twinset?
does this mean that you provided a reference letter from your company (date joined in, positions, full time, etc) and have a colleague write the job descriptions and so on?
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jen_mj12
hello twinset?
does this mean that you provided a reference letter from your company (date joined in, positions, full time, etc) and have a colleague write the job descriptions and so on?
I have provided a full resume of my work history, salaries, performance scores and bonuses freely available via the company intranet, and several references including testimonials, plus the standard "this employee has been working with the company for x years" which multinationals seem hell-bent on doing these years.
Also, detailed job descriptions, duties, targets and, if you have it, organograms showing where you sit within the organisation as well. Everybody's situation is different: I had to retain a bit of confidentiality as this is such a long process. Starting to get to the sharp end now!!

If you need any more info, pm me, happy to help.

Twinset

Last edited by Twinset; Dec 2nd 2008 at 3:15 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.