Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Want to study hairdressing in perth then apply for pr whats the easiest way?

Want to study hairdressing in perth then apply for pr whats the easiest way?

Old Jun 11th 2007, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to study hairdressing in perth then apply for pr whats the easiest way?

Originally Posted by ozziegirl
9 : i have to tell u as of 1 sept 07 u will have to study for two year then work one year within the trade u have studied before u can get your pr and u have got to have done the 900 hrs salon experience which u will have if u go to the college that i go to
Do you have a link to any info on this? I don't seem to be able to find anything over than hear say. Also, I have been in contact with 3 agents about study visas as a way in over the last couple of weeks and none of them have mentioned this.

Thanks
Old Jun 11th 2007, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Cathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant future
Default Re: Want to study hairdressing in perth then apply for pr whats the easiest way?

Hi Tony, thanks for your reply, can I just clarify:

I can apply for the 886, but my sister cannot sponsor me because she lives in Perth?

That means I wont be able to go down this route then as I do not have any other relatives living in Oz.

My only hope is that I can after work experience and sitting the english test I may gain an extra 20 points to apply independently, would you know if I would achieve this?

Is this just after 1 Sep? I have done so much research into this before applying and have never read that your relative has to be living in a designated area, my sister has met people at work who have sponsered relatives and they also live in Perth.

Dare not tell my husband!!
Old Jun 11th 2007, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cathy Makin
Hi Tony, thanks for your reply, can I just clarify:

I can apply for the 886, but my sister cannot sponsor me because she lives in Perth?

That means I wont be able to go down this route then as I do not have any other relatives living in Oz.

My only hope is that I can after work experience and sitting the english test I may gain an extra 20 points to apply independently, would you know if I would achieve this?

Is this just after 1 Sep? I have done so much research into this before applying and have never read that your relative has to be living in a designated area, my sister has met people at work who have sponsered relatives and they also live in Perth.

Dare not tell my husband!!
OK

one more time - your sister can sponsor you and must sponsor you for you to apply for the 886. However your will not get any points for her sponsorship and will have to score the required 100 total from other areas - skills age English etc - which you do.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Old Jun 11th 2007, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Do you have a link to any info on this? I don't seem to be able to find anything over than hear say. Also, I have been in contact with 3 agents about study visas as a way in over the last couple of weeks and none of them have mentioned this.

Thanks
It is not true - Yes you need 900 hours acceptable practical experience as well as your AQF CERT III to get through the TRA - you will only need to do the 12 months trade experience if you can not achieve a particular pass-mark for the visa you are applying without scoring 15 MODL points and/or 10 Australian work experience points and/or buying time to achieve a higher IELTS score.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Old Jun 11th 2007, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Cathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant future

Tony

Thank you would you believe me if I told you I was a blonde! I now get it, I was just sure I had read that after 1 Sep you could no longer be sponsored by family unless they lived in a designated area, I must have read it wrong.

Thank you again, your help is much appreciated.

Cathy
X
Old Jun 11th 2007, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Cathy Makin
Tony

Thank you would you believe me if I told you I was a blonde! I now get it, I was just sure I had read that after 1 Sep you could no longer be sponsored by family unless they lived in a designated area, I must have read it wrong.

Thank you again, your help is much appreciated.

Cathy
X
No problem Cathy - I knew I'd get through in the end.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Old Jun 12th 2007, 10:23 am
AAA
Forum Regular

AAA is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad you got it Cathy, I was confused at the beginning there are so many different variables its mad!!
Old Jun 12th 2007, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Thanks AAA, it's enough to drive you mind isn't it, I am sure it will all be worth the grey hairs though, lol.

I am just glad there are people like Tony to help us out.

Good luck to you.

Cathy

X
Old Jun 12th 2007, 10:38 am
AAA
Forum Regular

Absolutely its great that people are so helpfull, makes a nice change.
Good luck to you too.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 11:44 am
chrissie

lovhairuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Hi Tony,

In fact it's very difficult to give precise advice about the onshore student to PR pathway at the moment since there are too many unexplained variables however the general view on the MIA forums seems to be that most TRA applicants will complete 12 months work experience during their studies or immediately afterwards as an extension of the current TRA 900 hours requirement in order to qualify directly and avoid the professional year extension. The group which will be affected most by the new arrangements will be the accountancy graduates.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Hi George,
Could you give me some advice on ? My Sister has worked as a hairdesser since 1988 until 1997 leaving to have kids. She had worked from home as every hairdresser dose In 2005 she returned to College to obtain her NVQ Level 2 in hairdreeing so she would have the experience and qualifications to satify TRA. The question is? she has been at college for 2 years studing Hairdressing as well as doing her 7302 Delivering learning so she can teach hairdressing. dose she need the 12 Months work experience on top of all that. We are planning to sent off the TRA form in the next few weeks and would be greatful for any Information you could offer.
Thanks Chrissie.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 8:52 am
Just Joined

sparkmarkirl will become famous soon enough

Hey AAA - or anybody please help - I've read over the thread with great interest but I'm a little confussed (could be the blond hair or just all the information!!!)

I'm 25 and I work in television production in ireland. I lived in Perth on my tourist holiday visa and fell in love with the city. I have been looking at the options of going back to study hairdressing in order to gain the visa and if it works out open my own salon.

I too found the 1 year cert III course in hairdressing. If I complete this course how/what/can I do to go on to getting a work permit.

If after the year course I find employment in the industry will that be enough or will I have to study hairdressing to diploma level?

I had heard the points system (although I don't fully understand it) is changing this summer - do you know will this help me or not.

I'm Irish, speak good english (most of the time ) but have no family in Oz...

Oh what to do - all and any advice very welcome
Old Jun 19th 2007, 10:10 am
AAA
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sparkmarkirl
Hey AAA - or anybody please help - I've read over the thread with great interest but I'm a little confussed (could be the blond hair or just all the information!!!)

I'm 25 and I work in television production in ireland. I lived in Perth on my tourist holiday visa and fell in love with the city. I have been looking at the options of going back to study hairdressing in order to gain the visa and if it works out open my own salon.

I too found the 1 year cert III course in hairdressing. If I complete this course how/what/can I do to go on to getting a work permit.

If after the year course I find employment in the industry will that be enough or will I have to study hairdressing to diploma level?

I had heard the points system (although I don't fully understand it) is changing this summer - do you know will this help me or not.

Hey Spark,

Ok as you I will tell you what I think the situation is, but Tony or George are the best.

Ok first of all you need to do two years studing, so thats first, then as you have no one to sponser you, you will probably need to then do 12 months work experience within the trade, you may then also need to sit the English Exam to gain the points you will need to apply for PR.

Hope that is of some help!!

AAA
Old Jun 19th 2007, 10:44 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparkmarkirl

Dear SMK,

You do have to do two years' study, so it's probably going to be the Certificate III and something else "relevant" to the occupation of hairdressing, such as a small business management diploma, marketing, etc. And to go with the Certificate III you'll need to get 900 hours of practical experience in hairdressing before TRA will approve you as a hairdresser - in practice most MODL trade students pick up part-time work like this quite easily. Going from 900 hours to a full year (1040 hours at 20 hours a week) might not be so difficult, so the professional year most likely wouldn't be needed. But there are going to be many pathways with the IELTS 25 points option, so you'd just need to play it by ear.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Jun 19th 2007, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Hey thanks for that - so I understand I need to study for 2 years - so doing a 2 year long diploma in hairdressing instead of the 1 year cert III is the option and then do a year in the industry.

What is PR - sorry to have so many questions -

Is it easy for UK/Irish students who study for 2 years and then work for a uear in the industry to gain permission to work/live in Oz???

All/any suggestions extremely welcome - I'll trade free haircuts
Old Jun 19th 2007, 10:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Dear SMK,

You do have to do two years' study, so it's probably going to be the Certificate III and something else "relevant" to the occupation of hairdressing, such as a small business management diploma, marketing, etc. And to go with the Certificate III you'll need to get 900 hours of practical experience in hairdressing before TRA will approve you as a hairdresser - in practice most MODL trade students pick up part-time work like this quite easily. Going from 900 hours to a full year (1040 hours at 20 hours a week) might not be so difficult, so the professional year most likely wouldn't be needed. But there are going to be many pathways with the IELTS 25 points option, so you'd just need to play it by ear.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

George Lombard
May I ask - (sorry for all the what must seem like silly questions) what do you mean by IELTS 25 points option???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.