Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Want to study hairdressing in perth then apply for pr whats the easiest way?

Want to study hairdressing in perth then apply for pr whats the easiest way?

Old Jun 7th 2007, 3:16 pm
AAA
Forum Regular

AAA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Want to study hairdressing in perth then apply for pr whats the easiest way?

Hi everyone,
Am looking to study hairdressing in Perth and then apply for PR.
Can anyone please tell me if you need Diploma and Cert III or just Cert III and depending on what one you choose do you need to do any work experience before you apply for PR or does doing the course apply as work experience in itself? Also can you please tell me of any courses in Perth?
Oh and whats better TAFE or private?
Many Thanks

Sorry for it being so confusing!

Last edited by AAA; Jun 7th 2007 at 3:26 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

pauline dublin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Want to study hairdressing in perth then apply for pr whats the easiest way?

Originally Posted by AAA
Hi everyone,
Can anyone please tell me if you need Diploma and Cert III or just Cert III and depending on what one you choose do you need to do any work experience before you apply for PR or does doing the course apply as work experience in itself? Also can you please tell me of any courses in Perth?
Many Thanks

Hi aaa,
there is a hairdressing training course run by a place called volona in perth they have a website, in fremantle there is a tafe college but as far as i know the hairdressing courses are for apprentices working in salon, I would think they have one somewhere in perth that trains you to cert 111.
I was looking into it myself last year as that is what i wanted to do , but we are applying on my oh trade so we have to go regional, so i decided to do the course in dublin it is a level 2 the same as the australians cert 111, there was no course I could find fulltime , in the peel region of wa where we are going to live. I think the tafe courses are alot cheaper than private ones they were in melboune anyway . I do not know about when the course is finished where you would be regards pr, I will only be getting a skills assesment when I get to australia,
Hope this helps
Pauline
Old Jun 7th 2007, 8:38 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to study hairdressing in perth then apply for pr whats the easiest way?

Originally Posted by AAA
Hi everyone,
Many Thanks

Dear AAA,

Are you using the CRICOS database? The course you study must be on that list so I'd suggest you start with that. Finding CRICOS is easy, it's always the first on a google search on CRICOS.

Personally I would go for a TAFE course since it's fair average quality and you'll want to be employable after completing. But there are courses which are cheaper.

And the minimum qualification requirement is a Certificate III but these days TRA seems to be accepting Diploma level qualifications, illegally in my view but then again I don't issue their certificates :-)

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Jun 7th 2007, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AAA
Hi everyone,
Many Thanks

As George says, you need to start at finding a suitable course on the Cricos website. Unfortunately, I do not think there is a 2 year course in hairdressing, assuming you wish to qualify for a skilled visa later - doing the 2 year course will mean you could then apply for a skilled visa or the new temporary graduate visa. So you may have to look at a combined course e.g. 12 months Cert III in hairdressing followed by Diploma in business studies. You then have to argue that the business studies is closely related to hairdressing - not a given and a recent course case has found that a business course is not closely related to being a cook although you are more likely to run your own business as newly qualified hairdresser than a newly qualified cook maybe - so, if you are combining courses you need to get professional advice from Australian based Agents who are familiar with all the rules.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

pauline dublin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AAA
Hi everyone,
Many Thanks

hi AAA
Have a look at a thread we got our student visa posted by goingozwards 2007 it was posted today she got a student visa and is doing a hairdressing course!

pauline
Old Jun 8th 2007, 10:54 am
AAA
Forum Regular

Thanks guys for the help, I had a look at the CRICOS site and it says there is just 1 course for hairdressing in W.A run by Perth Institute Western Australia Pty Ltd.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 10:56 am
AAA
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by welshtony
As George says, you need to start at finding a suitable course on the Cricos website. Unfortunately, I do not think there is a 2 year course in hairdressing, assuming you wish to qualify for a skilled visa later - doing the 2 year course will mean you could then apply for a skilled visa or the new temporary graduate visa. So you may have to look at a combined course e.g. 12 months Cert III in hairdressing followed by Diploma in business studies. You then have to argue that the business studies is closely related to hairdressing - not a given and a recent course case has found that a business course is not closely related to being a cook although you are more likely to run your own business as newly qualified hairdresser than a newly qualified cook maybe - so, if you are combining courses you need to get professional advice from Australian based Agents who are familiar with all the rules.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Hi Tony, so do you mean that I need to study for 2 years rather than just 1 year to apply for PR?

Thanks
Old Jun 8th 2007, 10:58 am
AAA
Forum Regular

Thanks Pauline, checked out the other thread going to give them e-mail to ask exactly what they are doing.

Thanks
Old Jun 8th 2007, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AAA
Hi Tony, so do you mean that I need to study for 2 years rather than just 1 year to apply for PR?

Thanks

Exactly

you ( or the course provider) need to tailor the study to help you with TRA recognition and also satisfying the Immigration requirements - so tread carefully as there is often confusion over TRA requirement for 900 hours of practical experience as this must be experience other than practical experience that forms part of the course - plus if you do more than one course, to stretch your study out the required 2 years, each course you complete must be relevant to your nominated occupation of Hairdresser. So maybe the Eastern States courses would be more suitable and I believe some even have agreements with employers to make sure you get the required 900 hours during your 2 years of study.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Old Jun 8th 2007, 2:20 pm
AAA
Forum Regular

Exactly

you ( or the course provider) need to tailor the study to help you with TRA recognition and also satisfying the Immigration requirements - so tread carefully as there is often confusion over TRA requirement for 900 hours of practical experience as this must be experience other than practical experience that forms part of the course - plus if you do more than one course, to stretch your study out the required 2 years, each course you complete must be relevant to your nominated occupation of Hairdresser. So maybe the Eastern States courses would be more suitable and I believe some even have agreements with employers to make sure you get the required 900 hours during your 2 years of study.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Thanks Tony.

It gets more confusing by the minute, someone has just told me that I have to do a two year course like you side, but then they said I need to do 12 months of work experience aswell once I have passed the course.

So let me try to get this straight:

I need to complete a two yeat course (but hairdressing is one year) so I need to complete another relating one year course.

I also need to complete 900 hours of training within those two years as I will be in Perth W.A.

I then need to find work and complete 12 months of that.

I can then apply for PR.

Is that correct anyone?

Thank You
Old Jun 8th 2007, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AAA
Thanks Tony.

It gets more confusing by the minute, someone has just told me that I have to do a two year course like you side, but then they said I need to do 12 months of work experience aswell once I have passed the course.

So let me try to get this straight:

I need to complete a two yeat course (but hairdressing is one year) so I need to complete another relating one year course.

I also need to complete 900 hours of training within those two years as I will be in Perth W.A.

I then need to find work and complete 12 months of that.

I can then apply for PR.

Is that correct anyone?

Thank You
I'll do it step by step as it is confusing:

complete trade Certificate III usually after 12 months and continue related course to get to 2 years of study which gives you a recent experience waiver for the skilled visas. i.e. yo ucan apply without requiring 12 months skilled work experience in previous 24 month period.

You then need 900 practical hours to get recognised by TRA with your trade Cert III. These 900 hours can be done while studying, as long as they are not part of your course.

Within 6 months of completing your 2 year course, you need to apply for a skilled visa or the new temporary graduate visa (18 months no work restrictions for you and spouse)

What I am not sure about is whether you need to have completed your 900 hours and applied for your TRA before you can apply for this temporary graduate visa.

When you have your TRA approval and completed your course, you can immediately apply for a general skilled visa, depending on how many points your score. You must apply within 6 months of completing your course. If you have relatives to sponsor you or you are under 30 and pass the required IELTS standard you can maybe go direct to a permanent skilled visa - if not you may be able to sort State sponsorship otherwise, you need to apply for the temorary graduate visa. while on this visa you can the nmaybe get 12 months of related trade experience which will then score you an extra 25 points (or an extra 10 if you turn 45 in the mean time). this is because under new rules in September, you will require 12 months recent experience in your nominated occupation (or closely related occupation) in the previous 4 year period, to score the 15 MODL points - assuming Hairdressers are still on MODL in a few years. Working in Australia in any skilled occupation on the list will score yo uan additional 10 points regardless of whether they stay on MODL.

So you need to work this right through and know exactly which pathway you will go down and what is contingency plan should hairdressers come off MODL etc etc

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Old Jun 8th 2007, 10:24 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

I'll do it step by step as it is confusing:

complete trade Certificate III usually after 12 months and continue related course to get to 2 years of study which gives you a recent experience waiver for the skilled visas. i.e. yo ucan apply without requiring 12 months skilled work experience in previous 24 month period.

You then need 900 practical hours to get recognised by TRA with your trade Cert III. These 900 hours can be done while studying, as long as they are not part of your course.

Within 6 months of completing your 2 year course, you need to apply for a skilled visa or the new temporary graduate visa (18 months no work restrictions for you and spouse)

What I am not sure about is whether you need to have completed your 900 hours and applied for your TRA before you can apply for this temporary graduate visa.

When you have your TRA approval and completed your course, you can immediately apply for a general skilled visa, depending on how many points your score. You must apply within 6 months of completing your course. If you have relatives to sponsor you or you are under 30 and pass the required IELTS standard you can maybe go direct to a permanent skilled visa - if not you may be able to sort State sponsorship otherwise, you need to apply for the temorary graduate visa. while on this visa you can the nmaybe get 12 months of related trade experience which will then score you an extra 25 points (or an extra 10 if you turn 45 in the mean time). this is because under new rules in September, you will require 12 months recent experience in your nominated occupation (or closely related occupation) in the previous 4 year period, to score the 15 MODL points - assuming Hairdressers are still on MODL in a few years. Working in Australia in any skilled occupation on the list will score yo uan additional 10 points regardless of whether they stay on MODL.

So you need to work this right through and know exactly which pathway you will go down and what is contingency plan should hairdressers come off MODL etc etc

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Hi Tony,

In fact it's very difficult to give precise advice about the onshore student to PR pathway at the moment since there are too many unexplained variables however the general view on the MIA forums seems to be that most TRA applicants will complete 12 months work experience during their studies or immediately afterwards as an extension of the current TRA 900 hours requirement in order to qualify directly and avoid the professional year extension. The group which will be affected most by the new arrangements will be the accountancy graduates.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Jun 8th 2007, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi George

But surely there is no need to do this if they achieve a passmark without MODL and without 10 points for Australian work experience. Accountancy graduates will score 120 if aged 39 or less if they get necessary IELTS and 3 years study - if less than 3 years study then they will be OK if aged 29 or less. The experience waiver still exists - am I missing something here that the MIA forum are aware of ?

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Old Jun 9th 2007, 2:07 am
Reg. Migration Agent

Hi George

But surely there is no need to do this if they achieve a passmark without MODL and without 10 points for Australian work experience. Accountancy graduates will score 120 if aged 39 or less if they get necessary IELTS and 3 years study - if less than 3 years study then they will be OK if aged 29 or less. The experience waiver still exists - am I missing something here that the MIA forum are aware of ?

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Hi Tony,

The increase to 10 points for Australia work experience is going to come at the cost of considerable scrutiny - Peter Speldewinde is saying that something like 2000 such claims were fraudulent last year - and if you read the Birrell report closely you'll see that 7.0 on the IELTS test is aspirational for well over 50% of applicants. Every agent working domestically has to work through these issues on a daily basis unfortunately.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Jun 9th 2007, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

googy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the rough

Hi George

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
To get an IELTS score of 7 on EVERY band will be EXTREMELY difficult for most international students. Some countries like China and Sth Korea have about a 50% chance of getting LESS than 6 on the IELTS test. If memory serves me right, about 34% of graduates don't get an IELTS of 6. So for these graduates to get ielts 7 on every band will be tough. The trouble is these students will go down the work experience path to get their bonus 10 points, but obviously for them to go down this path they will have less than acceptable English (less than ielts 7), thus they will struggle to gain professional employment. Basically, even though they may have a 18 mth graduate visa, I would be interested to know how many will actually end up getting PR..
Interesting times ahead...

Last edited by googy; Jun 9th 2007 at 8:16 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.