Visa Queries - please help

Old Jan 31st 2008, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

feenat86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa Queries - please help

I have been looking at my options for visas etc and was going to apply under a skilled migrants visa but something happened today to make me rethink

I have recieved a job offer from a company in perth although they have said it would be a temporary contract to start with

i spoke to a migration agent and they said i could go for a temp visa or full residency and saying a temp visa would be quicker and cheaper but i would have to come back after the visa ran out and then applying for residency

Would i be better off going over on a temporary work visa for a year and seeing if very thing was hunky dory before going for residency or should i go for full resdency straight off

also if i go for a temp visa - can i apply for residency when over there

am abit confused with all the visa options

any advice would be appreciated bearing in mind i have a wife and young child to think of too

thx in advance
Old Jan 31st 2008, 8:54 pm
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Visa Queries - please help

if your employer is sponsoring u for temp visa they may sponsor u for pr visa after year or too but obviously not guarenteed..i know lots of nurses who have done this it means you are tied to one emplyer. Do you have age on your side if this were to happen? You just need to weigh up the benefits of each. If you go on your own u will have to fund visa etc. Sure there will be someone along in a similar position soon x
Old Jan 31st 2008, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

antmeister is a jewel in the roughantmeister is a jewel in the roughantmeister is a jewel in the roughantmeister is a jewel in the roughantmeister is a jewel in the rough

mate if you got the money then do it. but when you come back here where will you live while ur waiting for this other visa? ive been thinking long and hard and im thinking going to australia wont be as easy as it sounds for me, yeh everyone gets caught up in nice weather and beaches etc but it wares off after a few months and reality hits home. but id say if it gets u a fulltime job after the temp bit ttake it fast, what does your OH think about it
Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feenat86
I have been looking at my options for visas etc and was going to apply under a skilled migrants visa but something happened today to make me rethink

I have recieved a job offer from a company in perth although they have said it would be a temporary contract to start with

i spoke to a migration agent and they said i could go for a temp visa or full residency and saying a temp visa would be quicker and cheaper but i would have to come back after the visa ran out and then applying for residency

Would i be better off going over on a temporary work visa for a year and seeing if very thing was hunky dory before going for residency or should i go for full resdency straight off

also if i go for a temp visa - can i apply for residency when over there

am abit confused with all the visa options

any advice would be appreciated bearing in mind i have a wife and young child to think of too

thx in advance
Hi.

I'm assuming the employer would be sponsoring you for a 457? Take a read of this so you know what you are letting yourself in for http://britishexpats.com/wiki/457_Visa_Restrictions (If it's not that, then which is it?)

Personally, I would go for Permanent before Temporary as you have much more freedom, are not tied to an employer, can live and work where you want and don't have the dread of thinking if it doesn't work out you have to leave the country.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

thank you for all your words of wisdom - i think i need to read abit more into this as there is so much to think about

This has been our dream for 15 years but has only just been even close to becoming reality but the only sticking point is my wife would have to leave her mum behind and it is along way to nip over for a coffee

to be honest it probably wont even become reality but i want to look at all options before dismissing it completely - it would be a shame to waste such an opportunity
Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Pinkybee is on a distinguished road

You might want to clarify with the employer offering you the temp contract if they can wait the many many months for the PR visa to be approved and will the offer still be available at that time. The reason I say that is that isn't not uncommon for PR visas to realistically take up between 8-18 months to be approved, no matter what time frame DIAC give, it will not be approved when you're outside Australia in 8-10 weeks, not with the back log of applicaiotns they have. The 457, if all you supporting document is in order will take at most 10 weeks to be approved after lodgement-sounds like they may be offering this as they need you there sooner rather than later. Although there def. are restrictions on that visa to look into.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

thank you for all your words of wisdom - i think i need to read abit more into this as there is so much to think about

This has been our dream for 15 years but has only just been even close to becoming reality but the only sticking point is my wife would have to leave her mum behind and it is along way to nip over for a coffee

to be honest it probably wont even become reality but i want to look at all options before dismissing it completely - it would be a shame to waste such an opportunity

I can understand your wife's concerns, I had the same ones. Sadly my Mum passed away before I came anyway, but she told me to follow my dreams and go for it if that's what I wanted.

Maybe your wife's mum could look into a visa for herself to come and join you, are you the only family she has got? (that doesn't sound nice does it, not meant that way there is a genuine reason for asking)

For your other issues, maybe you could apply for the temp visa with your sponsorship and also apply for PR in your own right. That way you'd get here quicker, but would also have a PR visa processing. You would have to leave Australia for it to be granted, but you can just go to NZ for that. If you went this way, make sure your case officer knows though as the temp visa would cancel out your PR visa if the PR one is granted first.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Wendy
I can understand your wife's concerns, I had the same ones. Sadly my Mum passed away before I came anyway, but she told me to follow my dreams and go for it if that's what I wanted.

Maybe your wife's mum could look into a visa for herself to come and join you, are you the only family she has got? (that doesn't sound nice does it, not meant that way there is a genuine reason for asking)

For your other issues, maybe you could apply for the temp visa with your sponsorship and also apply for PR in your own right. That way you'd get here quicker, but would also have a PR visa processing. You would have to leave Australia for it to be granted, but you can just go to NZ for that. If you went this way, make sure your case officer knows though as the temp visa would cancel out your PR visa if the PR one is granted first.

Hi - thanks again sounds like that could be a solution re the visa

my wifes mother is now on her own and has no one else due to my father in law passing away a couple of years ago now and i think she would be lost on her own - i said if we did go i would get her over a couple of times a year for visits but not sure if she would be able to get her visa due to her age - what was the genuine reason for asking ??
Old Jan 31st 2008, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi - thanks again sounds like that could be a solution re the visa

my wifes mother is now on her own and has no one else due to my father in law passing away a couple of years ago now and i think she would be lost on her own - i said if we did go i would get her over a couple of times a year for visits but not sure if she would be able to get her visa due to her age - what was the genuine reason for asking ??

So I could give you this link: http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/103/index.htm
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 12:07 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pinkybee
You might want to clarify with the employer offering you the temp contract if they can wait the many many months for the PR visa to be approved and will the offer still be available at that time. The reason I say that is that isn't not uncommon for PR visas to realistically take up between 8-18 months to be approved,

Employer nominated visas are normally given priority and based on posts on this forum it would be unusual for a well prepared application (without complications) to take that long.

Of course, ENS often requires skill assessment in advance which also takes time.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Pinkybee is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JAJ
Employer nominated visas are normally given priority and based on posts on this forum it would be unusual for a well prepared application (without complications) to take that long.

Of course, ENS often requires skill assessment in advance which also takes time.
Trust me, that's what the current waiting waiting time. We have 7 nurses who have been offered positions in the last 7 months (one was 11 months ago) and they still haven't had their visas approved. I guess it may depend what state you go through for your assessment that might determine it-I'm in Victoria.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 9:35 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pinkybee
Trust me, that's what the current waiting waiting time. We have 7 nurses who have been offered positions in the last 7 months (one was 11 months ago) and they still haven't had their visas approved. I guess it may depend what state you go through for your assessment that might determine it-I'm in Victoria.
Once again. ENS applications should be given priority. The service standard is for the median of onshore ENS applications to take 3 months (low risk = ETA eligible nationality) and 5 months for the 75th percentile.
http://www.immi.gov.au/about/reports...utput1_1_1.htm

If you have 7 cases where processing time (dating from visa application) is dragging on much longer than that then it may indicate a serious problem in the DIAC office concerned.

You are entitled to ask some searching questions as to what is going on and if you don't get a satisfactory response you should write directly to the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship in Canberra.