Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Graphics Pre Press query! 175 - Pls help!!!

Graphics Pre Press query! 175 - Pls help!!!

Old Feb 3rd 2008, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

bickpicka is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Graphics Pre Press query! 175 - Pls help!!!

Hi all

My partner has a Ba(Hons) Degree in Marketing Design which he did 5 years ago. He has been working as an artworker for 2 years, doing everything that is required for the graphics pre-press.

We are hoping to come out on a 175 visa under Graphics Pre-press trade.

We have a few questions as we are confused by the terms used on the immi website.

Does his Marketing Design degree amount for anything? As he did cover graphics design.

He hasnt done any formal training/apprenticship apart from his degree and when we want to apply, he will have 3 years under his belt - does this class as substanstial work experience as classed on the immi website??
On the website it says ...
..."TRA’s uniform assessment criteria requires you to demonstrate skills, knowledge and experience equivalent to an Australian apprenticed-trained tradesperson. If you have no formal training in your trade, substantial work experience may be acceptable".

Could you also confirm how many years work experience he actually needs as again, its not quite clear, is it 2 years or 3 years?

Also does he need to stay in his present job before applying, (where he has only be for 2 years), or could he get another artworking/graphic designer job?

All help gratefully appreciated!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Gravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Graphics Pre Press query! 175 - Pls help!!!

Hiya

I came over as Graphic Pre Press 18 months ago but on 495 SIR visa.

I passed my TRA back in 2005 but know there have been a few changes since then. I had over 6-7 years experience in the Graphics Trade and they took most of that as experience in place of apprenticeship.

I would be a bit weary of using the Design Degree as they might deem you a Graphic Designer and not Pre Press which will lose you 10 points.

I had a mix of Graphic Design and Repro/Artworker/Pre Press over those 7 years but my TRA stressed the Pre Press side and hardly mentioned the Design side.

Also a few months after obtaining my TRA I changed jobs which as it turned out was more design that pre press.

Hopefully you should get proper clarification on the work experience as again I did mine over 2 years ago and things may have changed. I know there was work experience as a requirement and also work experience for extra points(if that is still the case).

Hope this is of some help and feel free to PM me for more details or info etc.

Good luck

Graham