Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Vetass, Are my qualifications enough to apply?

Vetass, Are my qualifications enough to apply?

Old May 15th 2008, 12:27 pm
MicheleandBarry

MicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really nice
Default Vetass, Are my qualifications enough to apply?

Hi everyone,
Any help, info or just clarification greatly appreciated.
My oh has after 2 yrs studying passed city and guilds Plumbing!! On his 4 off and holidays from being a firefighter.
Will the city and guilds qual be acceptable, or will we need to get nvq,s too?.
My thought is, as long as he passes the Vetass practical and theory (crossed eyes, toes and fingers!) we should be ok, my oh thinks there is a minimum entry qualification required, as he doesnt have much (documented) work experience, and getting the nvq,s although take a few months longer will be better.
We started on this journey 3 yrs ago, costs us a lot for the plumbing course, and time apart for training and exams, to get us the best position possible for gaining a visa. Just dont want to make any costly or time consuming errors before going for it, plus he is worried about turning 38 this year!
We eventually want to go to Tasmania, visited there in January and spoke to Anthony at the goverment, I clearly remember him saying ( he went off to check with someone to verify) that as long as he has the qualification and passes vetass (crossing myself again!) we should be fine to apply for visa.
Eventually going to use an agent and scouting around now for reputable ones, any recommendations gratefully recieved.
Sorry for the long post! but if anyone can help I will love you forever!
Best Regards
Michel and Barry
Old May 15th 2008, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

pagey67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Vetass, Are my qualifications enough to apply?

My OH took his appretiship when C&G were the only quals around (well before NVQ's). We sent his CV to our agent who said they were fine.

My concern is that (from reading between the lines) he has no valid work experience, my understanding is that you need a number of years experience to apply for the skilled migration.

Michelle
Old May 15th 2008, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all

hi,
i justed passed the paper assessment a month ago and have the prac in july, i am also a plumber, i had to submit quals and also prove evidence of meeting their set criteria for experiance, so i dont no where you stand. i would contact vettasses directly with a email, i found them very helpfull and they replied within 24 hours. hope this helps
john
mailto:[email protected]
Old May 15th 2008, 4:29 pm
MicheleandBarry

MicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really nice

Cheers for replying Pagey and John,
We have been told conflicting on the experience side off things! He has none at mo, thats why we were checking for clarification. Anthony at Tasmania govt did reccomend at first to go get a years experience, then he went and checked with someone and told us as long as he can pass vetass( crossmyself again!) should be no probs.
John, been watching your post on the vetass exam avidly!! Congratulations by the way on passing paper exam! Can you remember the experience criteria roughley?
Just testing the water on here first before going to an agent, ( Love this Forum!) If it comes to it he will have to pack in firefighting to get experience needed, I probably got my hopes up we could go for it sooner! You know whats its like when you decide to emigrate it can never happen fast enough, Thanks again for replying!

Michele
Old May 15th 2008, 4:31 pm
MicheleandBarry

Will try emailing vetass, direct from the horses mouth an all!
Cheers for the email John
Michele
Old May 15th 2008, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

http://www.vetassess.com.au/index.cfm?menu=1.3a

Not sure if you have looked here, but it gives details of the process (asks for evidence of work experience/wage slips).
Old May 15th 2008, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MicheleandBarry
Cheers for replying Pagey and John,
We have been told conflicting on the experience side off things! He has none at mo, thats why we were checking for clarification. Anthony at Tasmania govt did reccomend at first to go get a years experience, then he went and checked with someone and told us as long as he can pass vetass( crossmyself again!) should be no probs.
John, been watching your post on the vetass exam avidly!! Congratulations by the way on passing paper exam! Can you remember the experience criteria roughley?
Just testing the water on here first before going to an agent, ( Love this Forum!) If it comes to it he will have to pack in firefighting to get experience needed, I probably got my hopes up we could go for it sooner! You know whats its like when you decide to emigrate it can never happen fast enough, Thanks again for replying!

Michele
Skills assessment is based on suitability of qualifications. But can't get a visa without valid experience, in most cases at least 12 months full time? Think you've been badly advised Unless you're being sponsored
Old May 15th 2008, 8:45 pm
MicheleandBarry

Maybe thats why the guy said it, we are hoping to be sponsored by Tasmanian Govt.

My brain is getting fried looking at vetass website,you have to be a bloody brain surgeon to sieve through all jargon, downloaded a qualification assesment QA 1 form and it says on the guide notes " Do not include documents relating to your work experience- this is not relevant" Arghh! (Stop gettin me hopes up and shooting them down in flames!!)
Keep the comments coming though, would like to be forearmed when we go to an agent,
getting up early tmw with 10 espressos, an going through vetass website with a vengence!
Wish me luck!
Michele
Old May 16th 2008, 5:46 am
Just Joined

Not sure why you need to be forearmed before going to an agent, reputible ones will give you advise before you start. I had to send my OH CV for them to look at, so they could give me advise on whether we would be suitable and what visa we could apply for. We are using Go Matilda, the guy we are using has a lot of experience with people in the trades. May be worth sending him an email (PM me if you want his email address).

And as 'Australia-Bound?' clarified its when you apply for the visa through the skills migration route that you possibly need experience for. Again an agent will clarify this very quickly for you.

I agree that the early days are very confusing, it took me a while to get my head around what we could/couldn't do, but am now pleased we decided to go with an agent.

Michelle