Very worried.

Old Oct 2nd 2002, 8:46 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
LI_Hokie's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 34
LI_Hokie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Very worried.

I am in a huge dilemma and would really appreciate any advice.

I applied to DIMA in the Independent skilled category. I havea 125 points, 10 over the required 115 to pass. However, my skill was knocked off the MODL list.

I do need the 10 points for claiming work experience. I have a Bachelor of Engineering and a Master of Science degree. ACS assessed my skills as follows: "The applicant has a Masters of Science and a Bachelor of Engineering, which have been assessed as comparable to an Australian Bachelor degree with a major in computing".

I worked for 2 years between my Bachelors and Masters degree. I was also a graduate research assistant during my Masters degree working for 20 hours a week doing research in IT, which was exactly what my work involves. My question is this:
Since ACS clubbed both my degrees for my skill assessment, would DIMA discount my work experience prior to me obtaining my Masters degree? I obtained a 4 year Bachelor of Engineering degree in Computer Science from India, which is equivalent to an Australian degree (although ACS assessed both degrees together). Would my research experience count? I have a full time job - 40 hours a week for the 12 out of 18 months factor.

Should I get another assesment from ACS just for my Bachelor of Engineering degree?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
O
LI_Hokie is offline  
Old Oct 3rd 2002, 2:36 am
  #2  
Zorro
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Very worried.

The letter ACS gave me contains a similar statement. We both fall under
Group A in ACS assessment and do not need to have work experience for ACS'
assessment. I think it is not ACS's job to award points for work
experience for migration. What ACS does is to certify that the applicant
is a qualified IT professional. The Adelaide Processing Center is the body
responsible for awarding points.

However, to pass the basic requirements for Skilled Migration, you need to
have Recent Work Experience (i.e. employed in nominated job for 12 months in
the 18 months before application). To claim the 10 points for Specific
Work Experience, you need to be employed in your nominated job for 3 out of
the 4 years before application.

Ask AHC whether research work is acceptable.


"LI_Hokie" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
.com
...
    > I am in a huge dilemma and would really appreciate any advice.
    > I applied to DIMA in the Independent skilled category. I havea 125
    > points, 10 over the required 115 to pass. However, my skill was knocked
    > off the MODL list.
    > I do need the 10 points for claiming work experience. I have a Bachelor
    > of Engineering and a Master of Science degree. ACS assessed my skills as
    > follows: "The applicant has a Masters of Science and a Bachelor of
    > Engineering, which have been assessed as comparable to an Australian
    > Bachelor degree with a major in computing".
    > I worked for 2 years between my Bachelors and Masters degree. I was
    > also a graduate research assistant during my Masters degree working
    > for 20 hours a week doing research in IT, which was exactly what my
    > work involves. My question is this:
    > Since ACS clubbed both my degrees for my skill assessment, would DIMA
    > discount my work experience prior to me obtaining my Masters degree?
    > I obtained a 4 year Bachelor of Engineering degree in Computer
    > Science from India, which is equivalent to an Australian degree
    > (although ACS assessed both degrees together). Would my research
    > experience count? I have a full time job - 40 hours a week for the 12
    > out of 18 months factor.
    > Should I get another assesment from ACS just for my Bachelor of
    > Engineering degree?
    > Any advice would be appreciated.
    > Thanks,
    > O
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
 
Old Oct 3rd 2002, 11:09 am
  #3  
Jaj
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Very worried.

Adelaide, rather than ACS award work experience points.
An alternative for the original poster is to hire a migration agent.

Jeremy

    >On Thu, 3 Oct 2002 10:36:44 +0800, "zorro" wrote:
    >The letter ACS gave me contains a similar statement. We both fall under
    >Group A in ACS assessment and do not need to have work experience for ACS'
    >assessment. I think it is not ACS's job to award points for work
    >experience for migration. What ACS does is to certify that the applicant
    >is a qualified IT professional. The Adelaide Processing Center is the body
    >responsible for awarding points.
    >However, to pass the basic requirements for Skilled Migration, you need to
    >have Recent Work Experience (i.e. employed in nominated job for 12 months in
    >the 18 months before application). To claim the 10 points for Specific
    >Work Experience, you need to be employed in your nominated job for 3 out of
    >the 4 years before application.
    >Ask AHC whether research work is acceptable.
 
Old Oct 3rd 2002, 2:04 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
LI_Hokie's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 34
LI_Hokie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Very worried.

Originally posted by Jaj:
Adelaide, rather than ACS award work experience points.
An alternative for the original poster is to hire a migration agent.

Jeremy

    >On Thu, 3 Oct 2002 10:36:44 +0800, "zorro" wrote:
    >The letter ACS gave me contains a similar statement. We both fall under
    >Group A in ACS assessment and do not need to have work experience for ACS'
    >assessment. I think it is not ACS's job to award points for work
    >experience for migration. What ACS does is to certify that the applicant
    >is a qualified IT professional. The Adelaide Processing Center is the body
    >responsible for awarding points.
    >However, to pass the basic requirements for Skilled Migration, you need to
    >have Recent Work Experience (i.e. employed in nominated job for 12 months in
    >the 18 months before application). To claim the 10 points for Specific
    >Work Experience, you need to be employed in your nominated job for 3 out of
    >the 4 years before application.
    >Ask AHC whether research work is acceptable.
Thanks for your reply guys. Jeremy, I did hire a migration agent over the web. They took my money and siappeared. Since then I've been doing it on my own, as I don't want to risk losing anymore money.

I understand that its not ACS to award points for job experience. The reason I put forth these questions is that DIMA will award points based on when ACS assesment my skills as being deemed worthy of migration, and my experience would only count based on what degree was deemed fit for their purposes. As my assesment stated both my Masters and Bachelors degree I was wondering if DIMA would accept my work experience after my Bachelor's degree.
LI_Hokie is offline  
Old Oct 3rd 2002, 3:11 pm
  #5  
Ex Mod (2002-2005)
 
ptlabs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: NSW
Posts: 5,464
ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Very worried.

>Originally posted by LI_Hokie:
> I did hire a migration agent over the web. They took my money and
> siappeared.

Well, I'm sorry to hear you got your hands burnt with agents. Perhaps you should do a bit of research on their reputation before engaging their services the next time (if there is a next time).


> The reason I put forth these questions is that DIMA will award points
> based on when ACS assesment my skills as being deemed worthy of migration,
> and my experience would only count based on what degree was deemed
> fit for their purposes.

Any advice anyone gives you on the admissibility of your work experience based on such brief descriptions that you've given here is not going to be very conclusive or credible. You'll need to hire a reliable agent if you really want to analyze and put your mind at ease.


Peter
ptlabs is offline  
Old Oct 3rd 2002, 8:14 pm
  #6  
Jaj
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Very worried.

Did you hire a registered migration agent then?
http://www.themara.com.au

Depending on what country you're in, if you pay by credit card you may
get some protection over something like this.

Peter is right - if you're very confused, you do need an agent.
Newsgroups work for those who just have a question or two, I think the
gaps in your knowledge are more fundamental.

Jeremy


    >On Thu, 03 Oct 2002 15:11:39 +0000, ptlabs wrote:
    >>Originally posted by LI_Hokie:
    >>I did hire a migration agent over the web. They took my money and
    >>siappeared.
    >Well, I'm sorry to hear you got your hands burnt with agents. Perhaps
    >you should do a bit of research on their reputation before engaging
    >their services the next time (if there is a next time).
    >> The reason I put forth these questions is that DIMA will award points
    >> based on when ACS assesment my skills as being deemed worthy of
    >> migration,
    >> and my experience would only count based on what degree was deemed
    >> fit for their purposes.
    >Any advice anyone gives you on the admissibility of your work experience
    >based on such brief descriptions that you've given here is not going to
    >be very conclusive or credible. You'll need to hire a reliable agent if
    >you really want to analyze and put your mind at ease.
    >Peter
    >--
    >Visited http://www.austimeline.com/ yet?
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com
 
Old Oct 3rd 2002, 9:32 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
LI_Hokie's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 34
LI_Hokie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Very worried.

Originally posted by Jaj:
Did you hire a registered migration agent then?
http://www.themara.com.au

Depending on what country you're in, if you pay by credit card you may
get some protection over something like this.

Peter is right - if you're very confused, you do need an agent.
Newsgroups work for those who just have a question or two, I think the
gaps in your knowledge are more fundamental.

Jeremy


    >On Thu, 03 Oct 2002 15:11:39 +0000, ptlabs wrote:
    >>Originally posted by LI_Hokie:
    >>I did hire a migration agent over the web. They took my money and
    >>siappeared.
    >Well, I'm sorry to hear you got your hands burnt with agents. Perhaps
    >you should do a bit of research on their reputation before engaging
    >their services the next time (if there is a next time).
    >> The reason I put forth these questions is that DIMA will award points
    >> based on when ACS assesment my skills as being deemed worthy of
    >> migration,
    >> and my experience would only count based on what degree was deemed
    >> fit for their purposes.
    >Any advice anyone gives you on the admissibility of your work experience
    >based on such brief descriptions that you've given here is not going to
    >be very conclusive or credible. You'll need to hire a reliable agent if
    >you really want to analyze and put your mind at ease.
    >Peter
    >--
    >Visited http://www.austimeline.com/ yet?
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com
Thanks Jeremy. unfortuantely I transferred my money to their bank account. i live in the US and they said they work in the UK. When I wrote repeated letters it just came back saying that "Addressee no longer lives there". They do not answer phone calls or emails. I didn't do much research and burned my fingers.

I greatly appreciate your advice. Unfortunately since I already went ahead with my applictaion and it is now in Adelaide hiring amn agent at this stage won't change much. Maybe the next time around, and I'm hoping it doesn't get to that stage.
LI_Hokie is offline  
Old Oct 4th 2002, 1:25 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 150
willywh3r3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Very worried.

Like what Jeremy said, do you find the agent in the MARA list:

http://www.themara.com.au

If they are there, at least you can report to the authority.

Originally posted by LI_Hokie:


Thanks Jeremy. unfortuantely I transferred my money to their bank account. i live in the US and they said they work in the UK. When I wrote repeated letters it just came back saying that "Addressee no longer lives there". They do not answer phone calls or emails. I didn't do much research and burned my fingers.

I greatly appreciate your advice. Unfortunately since I already went ahead with my applictaion and it is now in Adelaide hiring amn agent at this stage won't change much. Maybe the next time around, and I'm hoping it doesn't get to that stage.
willywh3r3 is offline  
Old Oct 4th 2002, 4:34 am
  #9  
BE Enthusiast
 
onlyme's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 392
onlyme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Very worried.

you might want to upload as much info onto this website as you can
re the dodgy agent, just in case they are stupid enough to keep the
same name, address, etc. You might also want to inform the bank about
what their client is up.
onlyme is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.