Very short 457 question.

Old Mar 9th 2014, 12:40 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Very short 457 question.

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
My question is - Why would Australia care if she applies for British nationality/passport and then still comes to Aus under her original passport/nationality?

I don't know much about Australian immigration but I can't see gaining another nationality being an issue, or DIBP being very upset about it, as long as you inform them of the acquisition of British citizenship. And I definitely see OPs point of view re getting citizenship. If you are eligible for any other nationality without affecting your original one, you should get it...
Its not an issue. Its not like Aus will revoke her 457 just because she becomes a British citizen. It could be more of an issue for the Home Office - BUT as JAJ says if a spouse des not have to promise to settle in the UK after naturalisation, then it doesn't matter.
I can fully see why they want her to have a British passport rather than just another EU country one, especially as they will only be here on a 457. not as PR.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 12:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its not an issue. Its not like Aus will revoke her 457 just because she becomes a British citizen. It could be more of an issue for the Home Office - BUT as JAJ says if a spouse des not have to promise to settle in the UK after naturalisation, then it doesn't matter.
I can fully see why they want her to have a British passport rather than just another EU country one, especially as they will only be here on a 457. not as PR.
Exactly what I was thinking... +1
Old Mar 9th 2014, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

mirror is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok looks like all systems go. I'll come back to this thread with hopefully positive results.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 6:38 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Note that eligibility for naturalisation under section 6(2) of the British Nationality Act, spouses of British citizens, requires a legal marriage to a British citizen on the date of the application. Civil partnership counts, but a de-facto relationship does not.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Note that eligibility for naturalisation under section 6(2) of the British Nationality Act, spouses of British citizens, requires a legal marriage to a British citizen on the date of the application. Civil partnership counts, but a de-facto relationship does not.
Well from what he said, it seems like they are fully married, so
Old Mar 9th 2014, 8:40 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Well from what he said, it seems like they are fully married, so
Post #1 used the term "defacto" so probably not.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

Correct. We have worked hard in our stay in UK and have both decided to earn our entitlements to UK citizenship individually. Except she couldn't come to Oz without my sponsorship and wishes to join me, but still wishes to become British ;-)
Old Mar 9th 2014, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JAJ
Post #1 used the term "defacto" so probably not.
Ahh... Noted. Will the UK authorities revoke his partners nationality, if upon acquiring it she immediately migrates to Aus?
Old Mar 9th 2014, 8:47 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by mirror
Correct. We have worked hard in our stay in UK and have both decided to earn our entitlements to UK citizenship individually. Except she couldn't come to Oz without my sponsorship and wishes to join me, but still wishes to become British ;-)
So, if you choose not to get married, then there are some additional requirements she has to meet for naturalisation as a British citizen. Firstly, she needs to have held Permanent Resident status for a year (as opposed to just having it on date of application).

They will look for 5 years total presence in the U.K., not just 3.
And you should make yourself familiar with the requirement that a naturalisation applicant should normally intend to live in the U.K. after naturalisation.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JAJ
So, if you choose not to get married, then there are some additional requirements she has to meet for naturalisation as a British citizen. Firstly, she needs to have held Permanent Resident status for a year (as opposed to just having it on date of application).

They will look for 5 years total presence in the U.K., not just 3.
And you should make yourself familiar with the requirement that a naturalisation applicant should normally intend to live in the U.K. after naturalisation.
But what are the chances of them actually revoking her citizenship if she goes to Oz? Would they take into consideration 457 is a temporary visa and they will likely have to go back to UK after?
Old Mar 9th 2014, 9:02 pm
JAJ
Retired

Noted. Will the UK authorities revoke his partners nationality, if upon acquiring it she immediately migrates to Aus?
That would be highly unusual. However, it means in effect that one would normally have to a. declare an intention to to remain resident in the United Kingdom after naturalisation, and b. remain so resident up to and including the point of becoming a British citizen, and c. not have any indications on file that the contrary intention might be the case (which could lead them to deny the application).

Spouses of British citizens can sometimes arrange their citizenship ceremonies in a British consulate. This is unusual for those who are not married to British citizens unless they fall into one of the few additional exceptions for naturalisation applicants.

Also note that the declaration to the Home Office of intending to remain resident in the United Kingdom may be indicative of acquiring a U.K. domicile, which can impact future tax status.

More detail on the future intentions requirement is explained in Annex F to Chapter 18 of the Home Office Nationality Instructions.
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...y-instructions
Old Jan 28th 2015, 2:53 am
Just Joined

Dear All

I wish to report that we encountered absolutely no troubles along the way.
She obtained her UK naturalisation, her UK passport, joined me in Western Australia with her EU passport, now enjoying life as a 457 dependent; expiry is in March 2018.

We are now applying for our 189 via a migration agent... I'd hoped to DIY but the defacto partner evidence is such a grey area that I'd prefer hiring a professional.

Thank you all !