URGENT! - 457 to PR

Old Sep 4th 2010, 2:54 am
Just Joined

mike roberts is on a distinguished road
Question URGENT! - 457 to PR

Hi Guys,

My family and I moved to Perth 3 years ago. SInce that time I have had 3 employers on 3 different 457 visas.

My present employer will not sponser me for PR and I'm not happy there so I'm moving on. Problem is that obviously I have the 28 day rule to think about as well and finding new employment.

I think my employer will hold off for a while, telling DIAC, to give me more time to find employment. But I truly hate and don't want this 457 crap anymore.... employers take too much advantage and the security of the job is consistantly in the back of your mind.

My questions are:

1. Can I apply for PR while (technically) still on a 457?
2. Would I have to return home to activate PR etc?
3. Would I go onto to some sort of bridging visa while I wait?
4. Can I continue to work while awaiting the PR, even if I leave my 457 employer?
5. Being here 3 years, would I require the SKILLS assessment part of the application?
6. Could I apply for other work based on 'PR application pending'?

Thanks guys. As some of you're aware, the 457 issue means I'm pretty pushed for time and making this happen. Any thoughts, ides, advice etc would be greatly appreicated.

regards

Mike
Old Sep 4th 2010, 3:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: URGENT! - 457 to PR

As your employer will not sponsor you, I assume you are talking about the skilled migrant visa when you mention "applying for PR"?

Have you looked into your eligibility for the 175 / 6 skilled migrant visa? If you qualify, there is nothing to stop you from applying for one of these visas whilst you are still on the 457. Having spent three years in Australia already will (I think) add some points to your tally but you will still need to go through the skills assessment.

The 175/6 visas are off shore visas and you would have to go overseas for a couple of days when it is ready to be granted, but you don't have to go back to the UK.

You are not going to get a bridging visa to this visa though, so if your 457 expires or cancels you would not be able to work and you would need to leave the country as well as you won't have a visa.

My advice would be to either look for an employer that will sponsor you for PR or put in for your skilled migrant visa and stick it out on the 457 in the meantime.