Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Update - New Citizenship Residence Requirement

Update - New Citizenship Residence Requirement

Old May 2nd 2007, 4:08 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Update - New Citizenship Residence Requirement

Originally Posted by homer4all
I did inquire many times regarding this on different forums and few people told me no.

And I also believe that's true.
It's not true.

Go to http://www.comlaw.gov.au , download your own copy of the Act and read section 22(1).

I really don't recommend using online forums as a source of authoritative advice.
Old May 2nd 2007, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

homer4all is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
It's not true.

Go to http://www.comlaw.gov.au , download your own copy of the Act and read section 22(1).

I really don't recommend using online forums as a source of authoritative advice.
ohkie.. will do that..yeah I don't take forums information as final advice.

Thanks for info.

Cheers,
Old May 2nd 2007, 8:37 pm
>40
Forum Regular

>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ex_exile
"The new residence requirements apply to people who become permanent residents on or after the commencement of the new legislation. An eligible visa holder becomes a permanent resident on entering Australia as the holder of that visa"
No one is questioning that this quote is true. The discussion in this thread is whether the eligible visa holder continues to be a permanent resident (under the current citizenship Act 1948) also during any later period when he/she is not present in Australia, without holding a Resident Return Visa. DIAC policy seems to say yes; legislation seems to say no.
Old May 18th 2007, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

olauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud of

On DIAC website, it is mentioned the new legislation is ‘’likely to commence’’ on 1st July 2007.

Can someone confirm this can now be replaced by ‘’definitely commenced’’ on that date.??

Where can I find or download the amended Australian Citizenship Act?

Old May 19th 2007, 1:17 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by olauf
On DIAC website, it is mentioned the new legislation is ‘’likely to commence’’ on 1st July 2007.

Can someone confirm this can now be replaced by ‘’definitely commenced’’ on that date.??

Where can I find or download the amended Australian Citizenship Act?

The Commencement Order will be posted on http://www.comlaw.gov.au when it becomes available. You can find the Act there too.

If no commencement order is made, the Act will commence on 15 September.
Old May 19th 2007, 7:32 am
Just Joined

lyndakitt is an unknown quantity at this point

HI THERE

GETTING VERY CONFUSED IS THIS NEW LAW COMING IN ON THE 1ST JULY OR THE 15TH SEPTEMBER DOES ANYBODY OUT THERE KNOW AS YET AND IF NOT DO WE KNOW WHAT DATE THEY ARE LIKELY TO LET US KNOW

KIND REGARDS
Old May 19th 2007, 8:02 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by lyndakitt
HI THERE

GETTING VERY CONFUSED IS THIS NEW LAW COMING IN ON THE 1ST JULY OR THE 15TH SEPTEMBER DOES ANYBODY OUT THERE KNOW AS YET AND IF NOT DO WE KNOW WHAT DATE THEY ARE LIKELY TO LET US KNOW
It will be known whenever the announcement is made by the Minister. Not before, sorry (and no need to post in capitals).
Old May 20th 2007, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

Watty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to all

Hi all

Not sure if this will help. I sent an email to London asking for clarification as we didnt know whether to book validation trip before 1st July as we are nearly there and hope to be in Oz by mid August (depending on house sale). They sent this reply back last week.

"[email protected]
Dear Client,

Thank you for your enquiry.

The new rules would effect all future citizenship applications and they are likely to take effect after July.

If you have not entered Australia by the first of July the new rules will apply to you.

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/law-an...6-announce.htm

We hope this information has been of assistance.

Yours sincerely

London Contact Centre
Migration Branch
Australian High Commission
Strand London WC2B 4LA
DIAC website: www.immi.gov.au
London website: www.uk.embassy.gov.au"

Hope this helps, it seems that maybe they are going to take 1st July as the date although dont seem to want to confirm until last minute. We are now going on 8th June. I wont be impressed if the put it back to the Sept date at the last minute. Would have saved ourselves 2 grand!!

Cheers
Old May 20th 2007, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

lyndakitt is an unknown quantity at this point

hi there

thanks for the reply sorry about posting in capitals did not have my glasses on, we also have been granted visa and have booked our flight for end june, will be dissappointed if they change dates but i believe we will probably have a better chance of renting a house out in the winter months in australia, am getting a bit nervous now, fingers crossed all will go smoothly, will update when we arrive in perth
Old May 21st 2007, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

hanu is an unknown quantity at this point

Does she need to be in Australia by July 07 ??

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2
Well I have read through most of this thread and am still confused (doesn't take much)

Our 136 visa was granted March 04. We validated in July 04. We came back to the uk March 05. We are still in the uk and are making arrangements to return to Oz this summer.

What rule will we come under? (hopefully 2 years). Will we need to return by July?

Simple terms if you please ..... and thank you.

Mandy
Old May 22nd 2007, 2:00 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by hanu
Does she need to be in Australia by July 07 ??
Really strongly recommended to read the thread, as it is going in circles now.
Old May 22nd 2007, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Really strongly recommended to read the thread, as it is going in circles now.
Lol, I've been following this thread and I agree, it's going round in circles. I think it's a bit long for people to bother reading it all. Must be driving you mad
Old May 22nd 2007, 2:03 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by tracey.d
Lol, I've been following this thread and I agree, it's going round in circles. I think it's a bit long for people to bother reading it all. Must be driving you mad
It's probably time for the moderators to close it as it's not adding any more information.
Old May 22nd 2007, 7:14 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
It's probably time for the moderators to close it as it's not adding any more information.
Or at least make it non sticky...
Old Jun 9th 2007, 11:47 pm
Just Joined

asaxena is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Update - New Citizenship Residence Requirement

finally we have a commencement date

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/law-an...nges200406.htm

we had validated visa in Nov04 and left after 2 weeks of holiday. I think we'll be safe if I move now to oz and complete 2 yrs before Jul'2010.

Arvind

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.