Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Update - New Citizenship Residence Requirement

Wikiposts

Update - New Citizenship Residence Requirement

Old Mar 26th 2007, 12:11 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Official declaration of commencement and eligibility

Originally Posted by >40
Having discussed the interpretation of the new citizenship legislation earlier in this thread, I would personally recommend DIAC to quickly make two official declarations on their www.citizenship.gov.au site: 1) that the commencement date of the new legislation will be 1 July 2007 (or a specified later date), and 2) that it is the grant date of a permanent visa (irrespectively of any validation or the holder's present location) that determines whether one is eligible to be judged under the "old" residence requirements within three years after the new legislation has commenced.
1. The legislation will automatically commence 6 months from Royal Assent (15 March) unless an earlier date is ordered.

2. A conclusive interpretation of the provisions of the Act can only be given by the courts. A "DIAC declaration" is not a definitive interpretation of the law.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 1:11 am
Banned

srdegnan is an unknown quantity at this point

That would mean active from 15th September ... not 1st July?

Anyone concur?

Originally Posted by JAJ
1. The legislation will automatically commence 6 months from Royal Assent (15 March) unless an earlier date is ordered.

2. A conclusive interpretation of the provisions of the Act can only be given by the courts. A "DIAC declaration" is not a definitive interpretation of the law.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 4:07 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by srdegnan
That would mean active from 15th September ... not 1st July?

Anyone concur?
No, that is not correct.

I said unless an earlier date is ordered.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:06 am
Banned

Yes - but earlier you stated 6 months after 15th March (Royal Assent)... which give or take a day, would take it to 15th September ....

Originally Posted by JAJ
No, that is not correct.

I said unless an earlier date is ordered.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

jeeva will become famous soon enough

Yes - but earlier you stated 6 months after 15th March (Royal Assent)... which give or take a day, would take it to 15th September ....
It's very likely that the new rules will become law by 1st Jul. As per
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/law-an...iew/timing.htm
DIAC seems to have scheduled this for 1-Jul.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 2:14 pm
JAJ
Retired

I said: 1. The legislation will automatically commence 6 months from Royal Assent (15 March) unless an earlier date is ordered.

I don't know how much more clear one can be. The Act will come into force on a date to be ordered by the Minister. However if no order is made before 15 September, it will automatically come into force on that date anyway.

15 September is the latest date the Act will be in force.

Last edited by JAJ; Mar 26th 2007 at 2:16 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 2:30 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAJ
I said: 1. The legislation will automatically commence 6 months from Royal Assent (15 March) unless an earlier date is ordered.

I don't know how much more clear one can be. The Act will come into force on a date to be ordered by the Minister. However if no order is made before 15 September, it will automatically come into force on that date anyway.

15 September is the latest date the Act will be in force.
I thought you were pretty clear the first time
Old Mar 26th 2007, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

mysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Update - New Citizenship Residence Requirement

2. However a strict reading of the legislation suggests that you need to be physically in Australia at commencement (30 June-1 July) in order for the 2 year rule to apply.
I am slightly concerned at this - We arrived in Australia on a permanent visa on 20/07/05 and haven't left since. But we are going back to the UK on a visit and fly out on 29/06/07 - so won't be in the country physically during these dates.

Am I going to end up in a mess due to a technicality??

Nikki
xx

Last edited by mysnix; Mar 26th 2007 at 3:18 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 3:53 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mysnix
I am slightly concerned at this - We arrived in Australia on a permanent visa on 20/07/05 and haven't left since. But we are going back to the UK on a visit and fly out on 29/06/07 - so won't be in the country physically during these dates.

Am I going to end up in a mess due to a technicality??
Get a 5-year RRV before you fly out. A person overseas who holds a valid RRV is defined as a permanent resident under the old Act, with far more clarity than a person who merely holds a migrant non-RRV visa.

Whilst you may not meet the 2 out of 5 years requirement for an RRV, you should be able to get one granted based on your personal, business or employment ties to Australia since you have resided in Australia for close to 2 years now. If in doubt, speak to a registered migration agent.

Peter

Last edited by ptlabs; Mar 26th 2007 at 3:55 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:25 pm
Banned

So

... if I go out just before 1st July - have my PR visa validated and hang around until just after 1st July ... does that cover off most (expected) angles- by being physically resident at that period? (I'd be returning on a full time basis from 19th July)
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:52 am
>40
Forum Regular

>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all

For your reference, please find below a summary of the legislation (with links) discussed in this thread:

Australian Citizenship Act 2007 (http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legi...2?OpenDocument)
Highlight: The new residence requirement [section 22].

Australian Citizenship (Transitionals and Consequentials) Act 2007 (http://www.comlaw.gov.au/comlaw/Legi...3?OpenDocument)
Highlight: Transitionary provisions for the "old" residence requirement [schedule 3, section 5B].

Australian Citizenship Act 1948 (http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legi...3?OpenDocument)
Highlight: Definition of permanent resident, relevant to the transitionary provisions [section 5A - in particular 5A(1)(bb), 5A(1)(d)(i)(A), and 5A(2)].

Australian Citizenship Regulations 1960 (http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legi...5?OpenDocument)
Highlight: Prescription of holders of RRVs and similar visas to be permanent residents under the 1948 act [regulation 5].

Declaration for the purposes of subsection 5A(2) of the Australian Citizenship Act 1948 (http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legi...B?OpenDocument)
Highlight: Declaration of certain New Zealand citizens to be permanent residents under the 1948 act.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:32 pm
>40
Forum Regular

>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all

(cont.)

Australian Citizenship (Permanent Resident Status - New Zealand Citizens) Declaration 2001 (http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legi...8?OpenDocument)
Highlight: A previous declaration (still in effect) of certain New Zealand citizens to be permanent residents under the 1948 act.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 10:34 pm
Banned

Thanks

I've looked through all these docs now, and had a reply from the Australian High commission in London, where they refer me to:
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/law-an...irementsQA.htm

After chewing through the docs and re-reading the other links this morning, my reading is:

If you have a PR visa AND it has been validated BEFORE 1st July, you fall under the two year rule. The validation is ambiguous in law - but I think it removes any gap on the interpretation of being a perm. resident.

"Will they affect current permanent residents?

The new residence requirements will only apply to people who become permanent residents on or after commencement of the legislation.

People who are permanent residents before the commencement of the new legislation will only need to meet the current residence requirements (presence in Australia as a permanent resident for periods amounting to two (2) years in the last five (5) years including one (1) year in the last two (2) immediately prior to making the application) provided they applied within three (3) years from the day the legislation commences."

So I will be booking an additional flight early in June to get my PR validated!!
Old Mar 27th 2007, 11:20 pm
JAJ
Retired

Thanks

I've looked through all these docs now, and had a reply from the Australian High commission in London, where they refer me to:
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/law-an...irementsQA.htm
All they have done is refer you to what DIAC have said. However this appears not to be strictly in line with what the legislation says. Read post #178 in this thread.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 1:06 am
Banned

Thanks ....

Looks like to play safe, I will get my flight late June and hang around the first couple of days of July ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.