UK police certificates for citizenship?

Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:24 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of
Default UK police certificates for citizenship?

We've been here over two years now and are applying for citizenship.

Looking at the forms however, I wonder whether we need to apply for UK police clearance or not?

The clause in question asks if you have lived abroad for 12 months whilst holding a permanent Australian via. If yes, we need clearance; if no, we don't.

Now it was 14 months between being granted the visa and actually emigrating but only 10 months between us validating the visa and emigrating.

So which date is relevant when calculating the 12 months - when we were granted the visa or when we validated it?
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

PamK will become famous soon enoughPamK will become famous soon enough
Default Re: UK police certificates for citizenship?

Hi,

I am in the final stages of getting my citizenship stuff sorted out and I had a similar scenario. Immigration count the time from when the PR visa was granted not when it was validated.

From what I can work out, the date of validation is only relevant when they are considering if you have satisfied the (old) requirement for being in Australia for 2 yrs prior to applying for citizenship.

Getting the police certificate is actually rather painless and the folk in the UK were very good whenever I contacted them. Hope that helps.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 3:21 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SunshineGirl
So which date is relevant when calculating the 12 months - when we were granted the visa or when we validated it?
The relevant date is the date when you were granted the visa. So, yes, you'll need UK police checks before you can apply for citizenship.

We'll be in the same boat next year.

Gina
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 6:56 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, validation period doesn't count. You need to get it.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 9:05 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Thanks, folks.

Not long after I posted the query I rechecked and it was obvious that I'd need them. Have downloaded the forms so that's sorted.

Gina: Not seen you or N at the recent CIMA do's. The next one is meant to be the Christmas one in the Swan Valley (I think) - is it really so long since the last one?! C