Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Transferring from 457 visa to 147, any experience?

Transferring from 457 visa to 147, any experience?

Old Sep 16th 2009, 2:08 am
Just Joined

Tyto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transferring from 457 visa to 147, any experience?

Hello, does anyone have experience of moving from a 457 sponsorship to a temporary resident visa (non business) 147 visa?

I am eligible for this visa, my question is so that I would be allowed to work in the period between leaving my 457 sponsorship and gaining the 147, do I have to apply for a separate bridging visa or is the bridging visa an automatic part of the process once I apply for the 147?

thanks
Old Sep 16th 2009, 9:18 pm
Banned

CrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really nice
Default Re: Transferring from 457 visa to 147, any experience?

automatic bridging visa, but the work restrictions still apply. You can only work for your 457 sponsor.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 9:36 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Actually Tyto I'm unaware of any subclass 147 visa - do you mean a visa you can apply for using a form 147?

Mark's right, generally bridging visa rights carry the conditions of the visa you held at time of application (and bridging visas are automatically granted when you apply for most onshore visas), however in the situation you describe your 457 visa won't be cancelled just because you left your employer so it would be important to understand exactly what condition 8107 on your current visa means.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Sep 17th 2009, 2:04 am
Just Joined

Tyto is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Actually Tyto I'm unaware of any subclass 147 visa - do you mean a visa you can apply for using a form 147?

Mark's right, generally bridging visa rights carry the conditions of the visa you held at time of application (and bridging visas are automatically granted when you apply for most onshore visas), however in the situation you describe your 457 visa won't be cancelled just because you left your employer so it would be important to understand exactly what condition 8107 on your current visa means.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Thanks Mark & George, meant to say using form 147 to apply for a subclass 461 visa as a New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 3:02 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tyto
Thanks Mark & George, meant to say using form 147 to apply for a subclass 461 visa as a New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship.
See:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/461_visa

Is there any prospect of ENS or RSMS from your new employer? Or a job matched state sponsored 176 visa?

Or perhaps is your NZ partner eligible for permanent residence?