Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Trade skills assessment pathway removed for those without qualifications

Trade skills assessment pathway removed for those without qualifications

Old Jan 5th 2008, 12:06 pm
wee irish girl

gabb9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Trade skills assessment pathway removed for those without qualifications

Thanks, I suppose all we can do is keep our fingers crossed!!!
Old Jan 5th 2008, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

georgiana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Trade skills assessment pathway removed for those without qualifications

i am so confused! my husband is a kitchen fitter but obviously there is no formal qualificaion in this type of work, where does this leave us???
Old Jan 5th 2008, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

teeshie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Georgiana

We are in same boat as you - OH is a spray painter with no formal qualifications and we thought it was end of world but we looked into him getting qualifications thru a training agency It will prob take about 9 months - maybe there is something similar for kitchen fitters??

Lorna x
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:57 pm
Come on down...........

a and ts mum will become famous soon enough

Any thoughts???

To cut a long story short, following the removal of pathway D my husband found sponsored employment which fell through when the company faced closure.

We are now looking for another sponsor but my worry is, if we do get to Australia via this temp. visa route, should we in the mean time gather all the info required for his TRA and leave it with our agent for a hopeful later date but, and this is what I'm not sure of, if we applied for PR whilst in Australia would he still require this TRA pathway as he would be employed onshore???

Hope you understand what I'm trying to say!

Thanks, for any thoughts.

Lisa
Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:01 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Lisa,

I would be seeking sponsorship from an employer for a permanent residency visa under the Employer Nomination Scheme, or the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme if the employer is in a "regional area."

Have you also considered the possibility of a positive classification via TRA's Skill Pathway B? See:
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=432

Best regards.

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 9th 2008 at 9:32 am. Reason: removal of link
Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:16 pm
Come on down...........

a and ts mum will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
Lisa,

I would be seeking sponsorship from an employer for a permanent residency visa under the Employer Nomination Scheme, or the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme if the employer is in a "regional area."

Perhaps submit details here:
http://www.findajobinoz.com/jobs/send/

Have you also considered the possibility of a positive classification via TRA's Skill Pathway B? See:

Best regards.
Many thanks for your reply Alan,

We have already registered with findajobinoz.com, not heard anything just yet (this was at the beg' Dec, do you know if they send any acknowledgement of receipt?).

Pathway B sounds interesting, hadn't been mentioned to us before, I will check out the website and contact our agent!

Thanks again,
Lisa
Old Jan 8th 2008, 9:36 pm
ARGH! TRA Pathway D!

Joosy has a spectacular aura aboutJoosy has a spectacular aura aboutJoosy has a spectacular aura about

Hi all,
Just wanted to add to the misery on this board! Me and my husband started off our application last Jan (2007) but hadn't got as far as sending off to TRA when the change happened. He's a fibrous plasterer with 10years experience and no qualifications so looks like we're stuffed. Our agent is worse than useless and doesn't tell us anything and it was their bloody fault in the first place ours took so long cos my mate applied the same time (same job, same age, same experience, everything) and his TRA got accepted in July 2007.
Anyways, he would have to do about 6 different NVQs to satisfy TRA (boarding/plastering/coving/jointing/metal studding etc) so I can't see that happening... he'll be too old to get in by the time he does all that!
Can't say I blame the aussies though; Gordon Brown should give it a try instead of paying the buggers to come here. :curse:
Well, here's hoping for a miracle!
Old Jan 9th 2008, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Flixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Joosy
Hi all,
Just wanted to add to the misery on this board! Me and my husband started off our application last Jan (2007) but hadn't got as far as sending off to TRA when the change happened. He's a fibrous plasterer with 10years experience and no qualifications so looks like we're stuffed. Our agent is worse than useless and doesn't tell us anything and it was their bloody fault in the first place ours took so long cos my mate applied the same time (same job, same age, same experience, everything) and his TRA got accepted in July 2007.
Anyways, he would have to do about 6 different NVQs to satisfy TRA (boarding/plastering/coving/jointing/metal studding etc) so I can't see that happening... he'll be too old to get in by the time he does all that!
Can't say I blame the aussies though; Gordon Brown should give it a try instead of paying the buggers to come here. :curse:
Well, here's hoping for a miracle!
Ours is a very similar story to yours, we started in Feb 2007, we ended up sacking our agent, because of their dithering we missed the boat too!!! My husband is 44 in March, so time is running out for us too. He is a telephone engineer, so it's all in-house training with BT, no formal qualifications.
Let's start praying for that miracle
Old Jan 9th 2008, 7:17 am
If all else fails...smile

smiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flixy
Ours is a very similar story to yours, we started in Feb 2007, we ended up sacking our agent, because of their dithering we missed the boat too!!! My husband is 44 in March, so time is running out for us too. He is a telephone engineer, so it's all in-house training with BT, no formal qualifications.
Let's start praying for that miracle
sounds familiar.....don't give up though.....OH is telecomms engineer and will be 44 in July.....has some City & Guilds, plus time in the RN....so having a closer look at that....let's hope that something happens soon with this pathway, just to put us all out of the misery of waiting.

Good Luck Ems x
Old Jan 9th 2008, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

georgiana is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks lorna, well fingers crossed for you that sounds really positive! where did you find out about what was an acceptable qualification? i have spoken to a couple of agents who have both given me different info and havent filled me with confidence!! cant believe how difficult this all is!!
thanks in advance!
georgina
xx
Old Jan 9th 2008, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

daisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nice

Lisa,

Best regards.
Hi just reading about the change in tra stuff and a bit gobsmcked really. We have a sponsor in Busselton for my husband who is a wall and floor tiler, i was just gathering the stuff for tra as we were going on the RSMS and have spoken to an immigration lady in WA who will be doing the majority of the leg work for us but this may change things as my OH has only on the job training and worked sub contracting for almost 8 years. Do we have no other options?
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:00 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

You should not need a TRA classification if you are applying for a visa under the RSMS.

In case of need:
http://www.gomatilda.com/contact.cfm#ouroffices

Best regards.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

camacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nice

You should not need a TRA classification if you are applying for a visa under the RSMS.

In case of need:
http://www.gomatilda.com/contact.cfm#ouroffices

Best regards.
if the tra does come back is it only for unqualified!
my oh is a joiner and just failed vetassess practical is this the only way for qualified joiners now?
just waiting on review on where he went wrong
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Loads of very interesting, but conflicting advice on here

Our situation is that my husband (49) is about to receive a sponsored job offer from an Australian Government Department. His work experience (31 years) is from working in a UK Government Department, therefore no formal qualifications, only internal job training (over 900 hours) associated with the title of "inspector".

The employer has said they will get us there on a 457 and lodge a permanent nomination upon arrival. Our problem is that if the visa process starts, say, the week after next, it's cutting it fine (near impossible) to ensure that he is in Oz before his 50th Birthday (early March) and able to lodge the permanent visa application.

SO, even though we are sponsored, as he may well be over 50 at the time of the application of the permanent visa, he will still, I assume, need to have formal qualification of some sort in absence of pathway D. I think his occupation is covered on the ASCO list and the assessing company is VETASSESS. I have looked at their website and they only appear to assess formal qualifications (money for old rope it seems!).

If anybody could offer replies to the following questions I would be very grateful. The employer will only engage a migration lawyer after we have accepted the offer of employment, but this is information we could do with having prior to our acceptance.

Would it be possible for the employer to lodge a permanent visa application at the same time that the 457 application is made and prior to our arrival in OZ?

Am I correct in thinking that, if over 50, my husband will need his skills to be assessed?

Would he be deemed as too old to qualify under pathway B if we can demonstrate that his qualification was granted "in house"?

If sponsored, both over and under the age of 50, does he still also need to satisfy the points score?

I know this is asking a lot but any advice would be gratefully accepted

Cheers,
Ren
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:58 pm
Migration Agent

Ren,

Employer sponsored permanent residency visas are available under the Employer Nomination Scheme and (if the employer is in a regional area of Australia - as defined) the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme.

Have a look at the eligibility requirements for the employee here:
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill...y-employee.htm
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill...y-employee.htm

The answer to your question therefore depends on where the employer is located. If not in a regional area (as defined) you are looking at satisfying the requirements under the ENS.

Note that employers in a regional area can nominate under the RSMS or under the ENS.

Feel able to send me an email if you want to explore this more fully: alan - at - gomatilda - dot - com

Best regards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.