Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Trade skills assessment pathway removed for those without qualifications

Trade skills assessment pathway removed for those without qualifications

Old Oct 22nd 2007, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

sampson will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Trade skills assessment pathway removed for those without qualifications

Originally Posted by sampson
Hi everyone, been lurking on this site for a while now so thought it about time to register I had my TRA application sent off towards the end of september and am now like many others awaiting the results I compiled my TRA application during August and was going to use pathway D but then as you all know that went out the window so I re did it under pathways B + C .I'm a Printer working for the Daily telegraph, I've worked for them since I was 21 (now 33) I did a 7 year informal apprenticeship which included a 3 year city and Guilds NVQ course which covered about 1500 hours of vocational training. I have sent off my Certificates and letters from my employers confirming the training I did and now quietly sitting here bricking it Will let you all know the outcome

Well it the reply came back today http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488824
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 6:20 am
Just Joined

Reuven is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Trade skills assessment pathway removed for those without qualifications

Sampson,

What evidence did you provide of your 900 hours of formal training as part of your informal apprenticeship?

Was it a stat dec from yourself, a reference letter from the employer or something else?

Cheers

Reuven
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

sampson will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Reuven
Sampson,

What evidence did you provide of your 900 hours of formal training as part of your informal apprenticeship?

Was it a stat dec from yourself, a reference letter from the employer or something else?

Cheers

Reuven
The company I work for is a registered City and Guilds training center so effectively a college within the work place. I got the head city and guilds Veryifier at my company to write a letter confirming my training.
HTH
Old Oct 25th 2007, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

sam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nice

Sampson,

Cheers

Reuven
i too would be interested if anyone has recently passed WITHOUT A CERTIFICATE to certify the completion of an informal apprenticship with formal on the job training!??????

i ask this as i have the reference from the employer stating that it was just that and informal 5 yrs apprenticeship after serving this time being trade recognised as a time served wall and floor tiler?!! but as it was 18 yrs ago they didn't have the collages or governing bodies that the do now?
ANYBODY ?!!!
Old Oct 25th 2007, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sam mick kurt
i too would be interested if anyone has recently passed WITHOUT A CERTIFICATE to certify the completion of an informal apprenticship with formal on the job training!??????

i ask this as i have the reference from the employer stating that it was just that and informal 5 yrs apprenticeship after serving this time being trade recognised as a time served wall and floor tiler?!! but as it was 18 yrs ago they didn't have the collages or governing bodies that the do now?
ANYBODY ?!!!
Sorry I can't really answer your question,
We have just failed the TRA, OH didn't have any certificates from when he was trained with BT, so we put all his training on a stat dec, when he trained 23 years ago there wasn't a qualification either as such but he obtained a license to work on the BT network (he is a phone engineer) He had been doing the job since then and has over 30 certificates of accreditation since he moved on to contracting 14 years ago, we also had 6 pages describing his BT training in detail. We failed because we had no evidence of training :curse:
It came back within 3 weeks and it feels like they didn't even look at it!
Old Oct 26th 2007, 12:37 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

I encourage those who are looking at Skill Pathway B (Informal Apprenticeship) to look into obtaining a NVQ Level 2 qualification. We have confirmation that TRA accepts NVQ Level 2 quals as equivalent to 900 hours of formal training.

In other words an informal apprenticeship plus an NVQ Level 2 plus 5 years work experience should secure a positive classification from TRA.

For further details (including any questions as to what constitutes an informal apprenticeship) send an email to my colleague Stephen Dickson: stephen - at - gomatilda - dot - com , or telephone Stephen on Melbourne number +61 3 9935 2929.

Best regards.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Ben&Steph2009 is a jewel in the roughBen&Steph2009 is a jewel in the roughBen&Steph2009 is a jewel in the roughBen&Steph2009 is a jewel in the rough

Hi Alan
out of interest does the 5 years experience have to be post qualification OR can it include experience gained whilst doing the apprenticeship?
thanks
Ben
Old Oct 27th 2007, 5:10 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Ben.

Have a chat with Stephen, or exchange an email with him.

Best regards.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

nell71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
I encourage those who are looking at Skill Pathway B (Informal Apprenticeship) to look into obtaining a NVQ Level 2 qualification. We have confirmation that TRA accepts NVQ Level 2 quals as equivalent to 900 hours of formal training.

In other words an informal apprenticeship plus an NVQ Level 2 plus 5 years work experience should secure a positive classification from TRA.

For further details (including any questions as to what constitutes an informal apprenticeship) send an email to my colleague Stephen Dickson: stephen - at - gomatilda - dot - com , or telephone Stephen on Melbourne number +61 3 9935 2929.

Best regards.
hi alan
ive got an nvq but got it years after i finished my informal apprenticeship does this matter

cheers
Old Oct 27th 2007, 8:30 am
Migration Agent

Not sure - I can't give an opinion without knowing the full context.

Have a conversation or email exchange with my colleague Stephen Dickson or another migration agent who is up to speed with this issue.

Best regards.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 5:13 pm
*Tracie*

tramarie44 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
In an unexpected announcement affecting skilled migration to Australia, the body that assesses the competencies of most trade skills occupations (Trades Recognition Australia) has announced the removal of the assessment pathway for those who do not have qualifications.
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=424

Best regards.
Hi there my husband wa going to apply with his tradeskills which is needed more so in Queesland and also comes under the gov skilled listing. is this still the case or has that been removed
Tracie
Old Oct 29th 2007, 6:53 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tramarie44
Hi there my husband wa going to apply with his tradeskills which is needed more so in Queesland and also comes under the gov skilled listing. is this still the case or has that been removed
Tracie
Hi Tracie,

What's changed is the way that trade skills are assessed. This happened on 4 September. Does your husband have any sort of formal training in his trade? You will probably need to look at the TRA Uniform Assessment Criteria (UAC) and then, unless he's obviously acceptable with a four year apprenticeship, you may need to talk to an agent.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Oct 30th 2007, 6:10 am
Just Joined

Reuven is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Hi Tracie,

What's changed is the way that trade skills are assessed. This happened on 4 September. Does your husband have any sort of formal training in his trade? You will probably need to look at the TRA Uniform Assessment Criteria (UAC) and then, unless he's obviously acceptable with a four year apprenticeship, you may need to talk to an agent.

Cheers,

George Lombard
George,

What do you mean by 'obviously acceptable with a 4 year apprenticeship'? Doesn't pathway A on the UAC also require 900 hours of formal training?

Thanks

Reuven
Old Oct 30th 2007, 8:05 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

George,

What do you mean by 'obviously acceptable with a 4 year apprenticeship'? Doesn't pathway A on the UAC also require 900 hours of formal training?

Thanks

Reuven
Hi Reuven,

Obviously acceptable with respect to the UAC, of course. A formal apprenticeship as defined by TRA includes formal training, yes.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Oct 30th 2007, 8:20 am
*Tracie*

tramarie44 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Hi Reuven,

Obviously acceptable with respect to the UAC, of course. A formal apprenticeship as defined by TRA includes formal training, yes.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Hi George
Thanks for your reply. my husband did his training with my brother in law who had his own tiling business 14 years ago. There were no college courses back then. He has had his own business for the last 8 years in tiling until we moved to Spain. Does this count. What is the TRA and UAC, where do i find info

Thanks Tracie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.