Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Trade skills assessment pathway removed for those without qualifications

Trade skills assessment pathway removed for those without qualifications

Old Oct 11th 2007, 12:24 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trade skills assessment pathway removed for those without qualifications

I am not so sure the MIA is (or should be) confident as to timelines for a Pathway D replacement, Nick. I'm feeling rather jaundiced about the regard had for the MIA by the powers that be presently ...

Best regards.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 11:13 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trade skills assessment pathway removed for those without qualifications

Originally Posted by Nick-ASA
Hi George

I do agree with you that is best not to get people's hopes up - but the MIA are confident about this and logic (not that is the biggest deciding factor in government decisions) should mean that after they sort themselves out, there will be a new, 'anti-fraud' type assessments so that (for example) Brits with proper and real qualifications (e.g. C&G) and on-the-job training that can be evidenced can 'get in'.

I know I am preaching to the converted here anyway

The government itself can't be too pleased - e.g. putting some trades in demand, like painter and decorator, only to be told that they won't get any in for god knows how long as 90% p&ds dont have traineeships ....

Fingers crossed.
Hi Nick,

No I agree with Alan that the MIA hasn't had any traction on this and a couple of other issues recently and I'd stick to my view that the best thing you can say to Pathway D people is to consider other options, eg employer nomination, or even other countries, but no point putting your lives on hold for the TRA to change its policy.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Oct 11th 2007, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

toni and andy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
I know I'll get flamed for this one but sorry mate to be blunt, but you're NOT an Electrical Engineer without a primary qualification i.e. a relevant degree and/or professional body membership. I spent 5 years studying engineering at Uni for mine and I still don't call myself one as I my career went away from 'pure' engineering after graduation.
well thats my job title just because ant been to uni doesn't mean to say am not! as i fix wielding equipment as i have done for 6 years and that makes me an electrical engineer
Old Oct 12th 2007, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

Nick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Hi Nick,

No I agree with Alan that the MIA hasn't had any traction on this and a couple of other issues recently and I'd stick to my view that the best thing you can say to Pathway D people is to consider other options, eg employer nomination, or even other countries, but no point putting your lives on hold for the TRA to change its policy.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Hi George

Yes I agree with you that no one should "put their lives on hold" - and that if anyone can find ENS, then this is definitely the best option as it stands right now. Unfortunately for a lot of people ENS is hard to find, so some people will have to "wait and see" rather than "put their lives on hold"

Old Oct 12th 2007, 1:06 am

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by toni and andy
well thats my job title just because ant been to uni doesn't mean to say am not! as i fix wielding equipment as i have done for 6 years and that makes me an electrical engineer
then they shouldn't be calling you that. You will not be able to apply for a job without the relvent qualifications, and under these new rules it doesn't matter how long you have had the job for. No paper work, No job. Sorry but that is the way it is.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 1:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky
then they shouldn't be calling you that. You will not be able to apply for a job without the relvent qualifications, and under these new rules it doesn't matter how long you have had the job for. No paper work, No job. Sorry but that is the way it is.
oh well dosent realy matter anyway my parnter in a hairdresser was just looking what i could to!!
Old Oct 12th 2007, 1:11 am

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by toni and andy
oh well dosent realy matter anyway my parnter in a hairdresser was just looking what i could to!!
great. but dont let it stop you once you are over there. Nothing says you can't study again!
Old Oct 12th 2007, 1:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky
great. but dont let it stop you once you are over there. Nothing says you can't study again!
wont do mate thanks for message anyway
Old Oct 14th 2007, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

steve171274 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with those before people,an electrical engineer is a hnc/hnd degree qualified profession in fact it's mainly office based and not the same level as an electrician. Has anyone tried presenting the uk SKILLcard this is the new license to work in construction in england, i have just acquired mine ,i'm an electrician with C&G certificates but have been a fridge engineer for 8years with no certificates but have recently jumped hoops and got references to prove i'm what i say i am.Has anyone sent one of these off. Because i would prefer staying as a fridge engineer if i moved to Oz.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve171274
I agree with those before people,an electrical engineer is a hnc/hnd degree qualified profession in fact it's mainly office based and not the same level as an electrician.
Agreed - you certainly wouldn't let an electrical engineer near a set of tools, he'd electrocute himself in no time. I might have the bit of paper and know the mind-numbingly tedious theory, but I wouldn't have 1% of the real practical skills and knowledge of a time-served sparky. [A lesson that was hammered into me years ago]
Old Oct 15th 2007, 1:56 am
Just Joined

sunilcmac is an unknown quantity at this point

My name is Sunil Salian M S with Indian nationality. I am completed 10 years primary school and 3 years Diploma in Electronics and Communication Engineering . I am having around 9 years work experience in Electronics company as a technician.
I am working now in Singapore past from 3 years. I am completed 1 year Apprenticeship .

I am planing to apply TRA in Electronic Instrument Tradesperson (Special Class) 4314-13. so please guide me that its possible to pass get TRA in this field .

Looking for your reply, Thanks for your time
Regards

Sunil Salian M S
Old Oct 15th 2007, 8:16 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newjersey
Do not shoot the messenger please. Copied from an agents website, authenticity not verified.

At a Migration Institute of Australia seminar on 28 September 2007 a speaker from Trades Recognition Australia provided fascinating statistics to explain why TRA abolished Pathway D (skills assessment in a trade based on 6 or 7 years work experience rather than formal training or qualifications).
The figures included the following

Occupation Applications received in the year ended 30 June 2006
Applications received in the year ended 30 June 2007
Hairdresser 2736 6285
Cook 2463 6541

Figures for source countries of applicants for trade’s skills assessments were also supplied with India having had an enormous increase in applicants from 6926 applicants during the year ended 30 June 2006 increasing to 14614 applicants during the year ended 30 June 2007.

It is understood that DIAC is concerned at the number of applications that included work references that could not be verified and that many applicants are currently being investigated because of this issue.

In this regard it is important to note that as a “time of decision” requirement DIAC can refuse a General Skilled Migration application if information supplied in respect of a skills assessment was false or misleading in a material particular.

... you have to laugh ...

(and i speak as someone affected by these changes, so im not taking the p###)
Old Oct 16th 2007, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

Kathryn44 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sunilcmac
My name is Sunil Salian M S with Indian nationality. I am completed 10 years primary school and 3 years Diploma in Electronics and Communication Engineering . I am having around 9 years work experience in Electronics company as a technician.
I am working now in Singapore past from 3 years. I am completed 1 year Apprenticeship .

I am planing to apply TRA in Electronic Instrument Tradesperson (Special Class) 4314-13. so please guide me that its possible to pass get TRA in this field .

Looking for your reply, Thanks for your time
Regards

Sunil Salian M S
Hi Sunil,

First off, you have to make sure that your apprenticeship and training will be acceptable under the TRA standards (which college and how many hours of study). Then you will have to get detailed references from all your employers.

It is a complicated process and you will need to refer in detail to the TRA guidelines if you choose not to seek professional advice.

Best,
Old Oct 16th 2007, 7:41 am
Just Joined

teeshie is an unknown quantity at this point

Please help! My head is totally fried!!

My OH is a vehicle painter with 20 years experience and has been self employed for 5 years
Are we affected by TRA pathway being removed??

I could cry! We have been dithering about move to Oz for past year!!

Lorna x
Old Oct 16th 2007, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

lee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nice

Take a deep breath and relax, the pathway will be back in some form or other.

Did he go to college?, did he do training?

if it was just on the job training then yeh it affects you and me and loads of other people.

At the end of the day they want poeplelike us to live and work there and pay taxes so they will sort it out eventually.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.