TRA at last

Old Aug 30th 2004, 7:14 pm
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: TRA at last

Hi Graham,

Just catching up on the weekend events on the forum.

Congratulations on the assessment. That must be such a relief for you.

Well done

Rob

Originally Posted by Gravyman
Hi all

Well I guess from Sara's earlier thread you realise we have news from the TRA.

Well you'll be right. Although there is good news and bad news.

First the good news.

We got a call from our agent at around 8 this morning. She has received the letter from the TRA and we have a positive assessment.

Yeesssssss!!!!!!

Now the bad news
We asked about the deeming date.
December 2003

Noooooooo!!!!

What this means is that we won't be able to apply until December 2004 as we won't have the 12 of the last 18 months work experience.
Because of this it means we will have to put up the bond to get 110 points.

We had hoped to get an early deeming date an get the 10 points for work experience.

It has left us, and especially Sara, a bit deflated, angry and upset.

We have been waiting for this day for ages and when it comes we were expecting to be celebrating, instead we now on a bit of a downer again. It's that rollercoaster ride feeling again.

Anyway at least we have the positive result we've been waiting for.
Our agent is going to email us tomorrow with our options.

Hope the rest of you waiting get your results soon.

Graham
Old Aug 30th 2004, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TRA at last

Originally Posted by Rob Morton-Jone
Hi Graham,

Just catching up on the weekend events on the forum.

Congratulations on the assessment. That must be such a relief for you.

Well done

Rob

Hi Rob
Thanks.

We are just waiting for our agent to look into a couple of options but she will be able to submit our sponsorship to SA as it has a 6 month time span.

Graham
Old Aug 30th 2004, 9:14 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

If you are looking to claim any points for Specific Work Experience remember that you need to have worked for 3 out of the 4 years in a skilled occupation ... the 12 months in the last 18 months issue doesn't enter into the points for SWE, it is a basic requirement to be met if you have a 60 point occupation.

Best regards.

Originally Posted by Sarsa
Thanks again Debs.

Unfortunately the deeming date means we only get five points for 12 months in the last 18 months experience (in Dec 04) and not the ten for three years out of the last four we had hoped for. That means we are going to have to pay the bond for the extra five points just to get to 110. I should be glad that at least we do have enough equity in the house for that.

None of these obstacles are unsurmountable, we'd just have liked something to go our way for a change. I really am down, aren't I?

Off to lick my wounds,

Sara
Old Aug 30th 2004, 9:15 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Have a read here:
http://www.gomatilda.com/visas/faqs.cfm#09

Best regards.

Originally Posted by simbacat
The deeming date is something I haven't seen explained at all. In our case it was 8 years into my husbands army career. Take 3 years of for qualifications that still means it took him 5 years to get to the deeming date. Sorry but far to confusing for me. Lucky he always been in the same sort of business so the deeming date is not a problem to us.
Old Aug 30th 2004, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
If you are looking to claim any points for Specific Work Experience remember that you need to have worked for 3 out of the 4 years in a skilled occupation ... the 12 months in the last 18 months issue doesn't enter into the points for SWE, it is a basic requirement to be met if you have a 60 point occupation.

Best regards.

Hi Alan

Thanks for the info.

I'm a little confused, does that mean before we can claim any points for work experience I have to have 3-4 years work experience after the deeming date?

Graham
Old Aug 31st 2004, 10:12 am
Migration Agent

That would be my expectation, yes ...

What does your agent say?

Best regards.

Hi Alan

Thanks for the info.

I'm a little confused, does that mean before we can claim any points for work experience I have to have 3-4 years work experience after the deeming date?

Graham
Old Aug 31st 2004, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Graham

I can't believe that you pay ££££'s to an agent and they havent looked into your problems previously. Surely they should have known your circumstances and forseen the problems right from the first interveiw with them as they are the 'experts'!! What exactly are you paying them for?????
Old Aug 31st 2004, 5:29 pm
Migration Agent

Without wanting to sound self-righteous, this is the reason why Go Matilda carries out a stage 1 skills assessment review for clients with trade skills first - to identify the probable deeming date, the availability of points for specific work experience, and whether there are any issues meeting the basic work experience requirement BEFORE a skills assessment application is prepared and lodged (with the resultant expenses of cost and time).

Other agents may approach it differently ... and some might not even consider it until a late stage.

All one might do where the deeming date is too recent is to seek a review and to lodge additional information such that the deeming date is pushed backwards in time.

Best regards.

Originally Posted by Gjn200
Hi Graham

I can't believe that you pay ££££'s to an agent and they havent looked into your problems previously. Surely they should have known your circumstances and forseen the problems right from the first interveiw with them as they are the 'experts'!! What exactly are you paying them for?????
Old Aug 31st 2004, 7:08 pm
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: TRA at last

I must say here that Go Matilda have been spot on with all stages of my skills/visa progression. Any potential problems have been highlighted early which have been tackled accordingly. This then keeps costs down and the client (me) is allways aware of the current situation.

Well done the Go Matilda team

Without wanting to sound self-righteous, this is the reason why Go Matilda carries out a stage 1 skills assessment review for clients with trade skills first - to identify the probable deeming date, the availability of points for specific work experience, and whether there are any issues meeting the basic work experience requirement BEFORE a skills assessment application is prepared and lodged (with the resultant expenses of cost and time).

Other agents may approach it differently ... and some might not even consider it until a late stage.

All one might do where the deeming date is too recent is to seek a review and to lodge additional information such that the deeming date is pushed backwards in time.

Best regards.
Old Sep 1st 2004, 5:58 am

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

Gravyman, have you seen what Chris Wallington has posted about changes to the TRA deeming date here -> http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251273 ? If what he says is true, it might be worthwhile re-applying for your TRA assessment (quelle horreur!) or possibly appealing the decision...

-Sara.
Old Sep 1st 2004, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by saraliz
Gravyman, have you seen what Chris Wallington has posted about changes to the TRA deeming date here -> http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251273 ? If what he says is true, it might be worthwhile re-applying for your TRA assessment (quelle horreur!) or possibly appealing the decision...

-Sara.

Hi Sara
Thanks for the info.
I have asked Chris if he has any info and will be talking with our agent later.

Graham
Old Sep 1st 2004, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

bettytweena is an unknown quantity at this point

Fingers crossed xxxxxxxx
Lesley
Old Sep 1st 2004, 12:09 pm
Migration Agent

Graham,

At the time I write this it remains to be seen as to how the DIMIA will look at skills assessment classifications that have been issued showing a deeming date. My expectation is that the DIMIA case officers will adopt the same policy as they have done since deeming dates were introduced on TRA classifications.

This change of TRA/DIMIA policy is evolving - and so I have run the question of how this will affect those with trade skills past my colleagues. Glenn Newton (who used to head TRA) advised me as follows:

"Reverts back to the system pre- about 1994 or 1995 when there was not a deeming date, but Immigration Officers made the decisions re. the then antecedent of Recent Work Experience. DIMIA asked TRA to give a deeming date because Immigration Officers had a great deal of difficulty in making the decisions. The pendulum swings, and it swings back again etc.

It does however make the TRA process easier in that earlier training and experience (that is the most difficult to prove) is now less important for the skill assessment process."

Another of my colleagues, John Sylvester, had the following comments:

"I expect it will be a matter of DIMIA working it out on their own. This could be very good news in a number of ways. Firstly applicants should not have to go back so far in obtaining documents confirming employment etc, and when it comes to the work experience so long as they have been employed for 3 out of the last 4 and for 12 out of 18 months in their occupations then I would expect DIMIA to accept that to be at a skilled level. All in all it should make the process a lot easier for Tradespeople.

We shall have to see how DIMIA play this and possibly the Central Office Skilled Policy area or Adelaide will give guidance in due course. I'm hoping (as I am sure we all are) that they will make things easier."

I'll put some info on Go Matilda News -
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/index.cfm - and I'll update details of procedures, etc as and when I become aware of them.

Best regards.

Hi Sara
Thanks for the info.
I have asked Chris if he has any info and will be talking with our agent later.

Graham
Old Sep 1st 2004, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Alan

Thanks for the info.
I have spoken to my agent this morning and she has heard about this on the MIA website.
Like you she is waiting for official word to come back from ASPC.
I just hope it works out OK for us.

Graham

Graham,

At the time I write this it remains to be seen as to how the DIMIA will look at skills assessment classifications that have been issued showing a deeming date. My expectation is that the DIMIA case officers will adopt the same policy as they have done since deeming dates were introduced on TRA classifications.

This change of TRA/DIMIA policy is evolving - and so I have run the question of how this will affect those with trade skills past my colleagues. Glenn Newton (who used to head TRA) advised me as follows:

"Reverts back to the system pre- about 1994 or 1995 when there was not a deeming date, but Immigration Officers made the decisions re. the then antecedent of Recent Work Experience. DIMIA asked TRA to give a deeming date because Immigration Officers had a great deal of difficulty in making the decisions. The pendulum swings, and it swings back again etc.

It does however make the TRA process easier in that earlier training and experience (that is the most difficult to prove) is now less important for the skill assessment process."

Another of my colleagues, John Sylvester, had the following comments:

"I expect it will be a matter of DIMIA working it out on their own. This could be very good news in a number of ways. Firstly applicants should not have to go back so far in obtaining documents confirming employment etc, and when it comes to the work experience so long as they have been employed for 3 out of the last 4 and for 12 out of 18 months in their occupations then I would expect DIMIA to accept that to be at a skilled level. All in all it should make the process a lot easier for Tradespeople.

We shall have to see how DIMIA play this and possibly the Central Office Skilled Policy area or Adelaide will give guidance in due course. I'm hoping (as I am sure we all are) that they will make things easier."

I'll put some info on Go Matilda News -
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/index.cfm - and I'll update details of procedures, etc as and when I become aware of them.

Best regards.