Toursit visa to 457 - qualify for LAFHA ?

Old Apr 2nd 2010, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Toursit visa to 457 - qualify for LAFHA ?

Advice appreciated...

I have a friend who's been in Australia for about a year. He arrived on a tourist visa, found work and then went onto a 457 visa. He's been told that as he was on a tourist visa he doesn't qualify for LAFHA but thought I'd see if anyone is able to confirm or deny that ?

Cheers
Haggis
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toursit visa to 457 - qualify for LAFHA ?

Originally Posted by haggis supper
Advice appreciated...

I have a friend who's been in Australia for about a year. He arrived on a tourist visa, found work and then went onto a 457 visa. He's been told that as he was on a tourist visa he doesn't qualify for LAFHA but thought I'd see if anyone is able to confirm or deny that ?

Cheers
Haggis
I can't see what being on a tourist visa previously has to do with it really.

Is he living away from his permanent home? If answer is yes then that would seem to be the main criteria.

Having said that, remember that LAFHA is not an entitlement, it is something that needs to be negotiated and agreed with employer.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

bump...
Old Apr 5th 2010, 6:55 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

bump...
Why the bump? BS gave you the answer in the post above. Being on a tourist visa previously has nothing to do with whether he's eligible or not. So long as the employer is willing to pay LAFHA and he's on a valid visa which allows him to work he's eligible.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Why the bump? BS gave you the answer in the post above. Being on a tourist visa previously has nothing to do with whether he's eligible or not. So long as the employer is willing to pay LAFHA and he's on a valid visa which allows him to work he's eligible.
Why the bump ? Why not ?? BS gave me her opinion, which is appreciated, but I had hoped for a response from someone who had been in a similar position and knew exactly what the ruling was. Hope that's ok with you.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Why the bump ? Why not ?? BS gave me her opinion, which is appreciated, but I had hoped for a response from someone who had been in a similar position and knew exactly what the ruling was. Hope that's ok with you.
Oh I thought I was reasonably clear, it is possible to know about things without having had personal experience of them.

*Adds haggis supper to ignore list*
Old Apr 5th 2010, 9:18 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Fine with me. While I don't have first hand experience of going from tourist visa to 457 I do have experience working for a migration agent. Is that good enough?
Old Apr 5th 2010, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Oh I thought I was reasonably clear, it is possible to know about things without having had personal experience of them.

*Adds haggis supper to ignore list*
And how was that reasonably clear ? You simply made a couple of statements - which I expressed appreciation for - how the hell do I know if you speak from experience or its just a best guess ? Where exactly did you make that clear ?

Jesus, I simply put a bump on to see if there were any other folks out there with comments.

This is exactly why BE has gone to the dogs in recent years, stroppy people like you who are far too quick to make stupid statements.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Fine with me. While I don't have first hand experience of going from tourist visa to 457 I do have experience working for a migration agent. Is that good enough?
So what was the point of your "why the bump" statement ? Why not just add your comment regarding the topic, for which I would have been grateful. Far too many people on here these days that want to nit pick over trivial little things for no reason.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 1:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Being on a tourist visa makes no difference to whether someone can get LAFHA. Many Australians get it, as well as many 457 holders. Its something that the visa holder needs to negotiate with their employer.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Being on a tourist visa makes no difference to whether someone can get LAFHA. Many Australians get it, as well as many 457 holders. Its something that the visa holder needs to negotiate with their employer.
Thanks, much appreciated. I'll pass that on to my friends.