Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Is it a myth or true that the 176 for Victoria is quicker than the 175?

Is it a myth or true that the 176 for Victoria is quicker than the 175?

Old Apr 1st 2010, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

stuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura about
Default Is it a myth or true that the 176 for Victoria is quicker than the 175?

Hi,

can someone tell me if its true that the 176 (specifically Victoria) has a faster processing time than the 175? My girlfriend's profession "Social Work 2511-11" is not only on the SOL list for 175 but also on Victoria's 176 required professions. Seeing as Melbourne is our no1 choice of city, closely followed by Sydney and its quicker and I hear easier to get the Victoria 176 I'm of the line of thinking that's the one she should go for. She's not only on this list but has been in the role for over 4 years, so fits the bill in that respect as well. Would someone mind coming back to me on that, and of course if anyone has been through Victoria's 176 process, would they mind breaking down the process for me.

Incidentally, Bermudashorts if you happen to be reading this thread, I never said thank you for you help on my IELTS question
Old Apr 1st 2010, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

littda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nice
Default Re: Is it a myth or true that the 176 for Victoria is quicker than the 175?

Will share my experience -

We used an agent. Went for VSS because Melbourne was preferred destination, and the belief was that 176 would be faster. It took something like 3 1/2 months to get it, much longer than it should have (I think they quote 8-10 weeks). Process fairly simple, but ultimately they asked for a letter explaining why I wanted to move to Vic... sent that, and received the grant same day :-)

Others can comment on whether 176 is now any faster than 175... may not be, because they are now processing to changed priorities. OTOH, its quite easy to apply so it cant hurt.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

stuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Is it a myth or true that the 176 for Victoria is quicker than the 175?

Thanks Littda01. Agents fees aside was the actual application fee the same as the 175 permanent residency fee? ($2525)
Old Apr 1st 2010, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

littda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nice

You pay the same fee for the 175, and then you pay a couple hundred (cant remember how much) for the VSS itself. In other words 176 = 175 + VSS (in this case). So overall its about 10% more expensive.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

zhmajumder is on a distinguished road

I convert my 175 to 176 by using VSS. But didn't get any benefit on application faster processing. See my timelines for details.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

Sarah Jayne is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stuartsummers1980
Hi,

can someone tell me if its true that the 176 (specifically Victoria) has a faster processing time than the 175? My girlfriend's profession "Social Work 2511-11" is not only on the SOL list for 175 but also on Victoria's 176 required professions. Seeing as Melbourne is our no1 choice of city, closely followed by Sydney and its quicker and I hear easier to get the Victoria 176 I'm of the line of thinking that's the one she should go for. She's not only on this list but has been in the role for over 4 years, so fits the bill in that respect as well. Would someone mind coming back to me on that, and of course if anyone has been through Victoria's 176 process, would they mind breaking down the process for me.

Incidentally, Bermudashorts if you happen to be reading this thread, I never said thank you for you help on my IELTS question
Hi stuart,

For what it's worth here's my experience... (2124-11 Civil Engineer)

I applied for VSS online on 6th March 10 - they emailed to say it takes up to 10 weeks to process.

I submitted an online 175 Visa App on 21st March 10 (had to wait for IELTS test).

I attached my VSS "Skilled Sponsored Declaration" to the 175 documents, and informed DIAC it was my intention to switch to a 176 Visa if Victoria agreed to sponsor me.

I informed Victoria of my 175 application and gave them my DIAC reference.

A Case Officer was assigned to review my 175 application on 1st April 2010 -- which looking at everyones timescales on this site seems very quick .

The CO has asked for Police (uploaded) and Health Checks (to be booked) and some more employer information.

It may even be that they grant the 175 before Victoria has assessed my VSS application.

Whether either informing DIAC of my intention to switch to 176, or informing Victoria of my 175 application, has resulted in faster processing - I've no idea - it may just be, as I suspect, good fortune!

But it could also be that they don't want to "waste" the VSS places on people with 120+ points ??? -- who knows..... we can only go by what they say on their websites and everything else said is speculation.

Hope this helps

Sarah
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

msabiransari is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stuartsummers1980
Hi,

If you have 120 points, lodge your application for 175 now and then apply for victoria. Nowadays 175 is being processed faster (CSL) and you may have CO officer assigned before you get the VSS. In case you dont get CO soon, just convert your application to 176 after VSS approval.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

thanks to everyone who posted back. No-one posted to say they got a 176 Victoria in 3 to 6 months (which was what I had anticipated would be the timescales as opposed to an on average 12 month 175 processing time), so I guess as they're give or take a few dollars the same cost we might as well go for a 175, although I have to admit I'm massively confused by this talk of going for a 175 and 176 simultaneously, I didn't realise that was possible.

Also no-one seems to have posted pointing to the fact that a 176 is easier or quicker so what's the point of going for a 176 in that case? (with the exception of the fact you only need 100 points, is that the only benefit then?
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

Actually sorry further to the above I just realised littda01 did come back and say the 176 only took 3 1/2 months. But any more successful Victoria 176's out there with timelines?
Old Apr 6th 2010, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

Stuart -

Just to clarify 175 v 176 a little, here is how I understand it works.

A 176 does not stand on its own - you have to first qualify for a 175. The 176 State Sponsorship is just the 'icing on the cake' that hopefully gives you improved processing times. If you apply for it and dont get it, you just revert to your 175.

In other words, its not really an 'either/or', its additive. Either 175 alone, or 175 + SS = 176.

So I would do it, because it can't hurt. But if your occupation is on the CSL, its likely to be of marginal benefit.

Cheers - Dave
Old Apr 6th 2010, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Sarah Jayne is an unknown quantity at this point

Stuart

sorry if I confused you.

Just to let you know, I did a 175 application online 21/03/10 (CSL) and a case office has already been assigned (01/04/10) - so as the previous poster said, if you're CSL, you seem to get a CO quickly with a 175
Old Apr 7th 2010, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

Wow, they are really moving quickly now :-) What Sarah did in a couple weeks took me about 4 months, with an agent. Good news for everyone on the CSL in the process right now :-)