Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Thinking of emigrating/ any advice or info..

Thinking of emigrating/ any advice or info..

Old Feb 23rd 2008, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

BExpat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Thinking of emigrating/ any advice or info..

Nurses and teachers are in real short supply in Aus - you're sure to find a job if you look for one. I think UK trained nurses would get recognised in Aus for registration (though registration can differ between states, so be careful).

Apply yourself if you can manage to figure out the whole application process and don't mind spending all the time it takes to get the application into place.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

Sara W is on a distinguished road

We did our visa application ourselves. It was time consuming, but we did it. I would say it's quite straight forward if you are a nurse. We got loads of help on this forum. Every time we got stuck we posted a question & got help from people who had been through the same process. If you get an agent to do the application you will still have to get your documents certified yourself, apply for your documents from nursing authorities & school of nursing yourself.
If you get registered as nurse before you get your skills assessment it will simplify the process & reduce cost of your skills assessment.
Everything always took longer than we thought, but we got there in the end.

Good luck,
Sara
Emigrating to Perth on 29th June on permanent visa with husband & two cats

Last edited by Sara W; Feb 23rd 2008 at 2:49 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Lara_jane is an unknown quantity at this point

hi, thank you for the replies. Very useful! Having found this site, it makes me far more inclined to apply for the visa myself. I don't really see how an agent can justify that money, when I have to do a lot of the form filling & signing of things, collecting them up, etc myself. I do have enough time as I am supply teaching at the moment, and having just returned from a year abroad (my late gap yr), I need to be earning money again before I go for good.
I have spent a while in Brisbane, and loved it. I'm also planning another trip back, possibly at the end of this month to see western australia as well & cairns. Didn't get a chance to do it last time - ran out of money!
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

allandeb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All
Again Many thanks for your help and advice, its very much appreciated.
AllanDeb