Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Telephonic Nikah (marriage) - acceptable by DIAC?

Telephonic Nikah (marriage) - acceptable by DIAC?

Old Dec 9th 2009, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Telephonic Nikah (marriage) - acceptable by DIAC?

Imagine you got a crossed line and married the mother-in-law by mistake!

Just another thought...the issue of the consummation of a marriage.

Last edited by Red_V_Roger; Dec 9th 2009 at 10:11 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 10:51 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mastiche
I never heard such a custom in muslim community . This custom should be specific to some countries.
Agreed... none of my muslim friends were married over the telephone, so I find it hard to believe that this is an islamic custom. I suspect that it is specific to some countries.

and Pam E - I think it is very easy to use "its a cultural thing" to explain something that we don't understand. But it still doesn't answer the question. Why does it occur? Why doesn't the bride fly to be with the groom, so that they can get married together? Or if this is not possible for visa reasons etc, or other reasons, why doesn't the groom fly back home to get married ?
Old Dec 9th 2009, 11:21 pm
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by asprilla

and Pam E - I think it is very easy to use "its a cultural thing" to explain something that we don't understand. But it still doesn't answer the question. Why does it occur? Why doesn't the bride fly to be with the groom, so that they can get married together? Or if this is not possible for visa reasons etc, or other reasons, why doesn't the groom fly back home to get married ?
But it wasn't my intention to answer the question (I didn't know the answer until I googled and even then I wasn't clear). My point was that dismissing something as 'crazy' just because it's alien or unfamilar, when you don't even really know what it's all about, is a bit daft.

Disclaimer: just my opinion of course....other person entitled to their opinion that it's crazy etc etc etc blah blah blah (to preempt usual nonsense)

Last edited by PamE; Dec 9th 2009 at 11:27 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by azz017
Its a custom in muslim community that if someone is abroad and cant ensure his presence during matrimony then they fulfill the requirements on phone(similer to saying "i do,i do,i do") using witnesses and necessary arrangements.Hope you understand now!its logical,it should be acceptable!
It's not a Muslim custom I've ever heard of to be honest and I've worked in Muslim countries. In a Christian Western culture the idea of a telephone marriage is completely alien as no doubt are some [well many] aspects of Western Christian culture in Islam.

In the UK a telephone marriage is not recognised if any of the parties was in the UK at the time - there has been one very nasty case where the parents of a severely intellectually disabled man in the UK organised one for him and a woman from Bangladesh.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 12:33 am
Just Joined

mechanical430 will become famous soon enough

Thanks very much guys for your responces,

Actually I'm also not much aware how does that happen but I know several cases when guys did it and got visas for Canada. Actually I recently moved here and I want to avoid my visit to Pakistan just for the wedding (its one day trip) and after marriage, If my wife get visa after 6 months, I will have to revisit So was trying to aviod frequent visits. I think its a dubious case even in Islam (Well said by Les Mighalls) and I shouldn't take a chance. And as Mastiche mentioned, even my to-wife is not willing and she is of the opinion, that it's the most important and charming event of our life and why the hell are we going to do it on telephone... So it makes sense I guess

Thanks again for the replies and interest
Old Dec 10th 2009, 12:48 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Marriage is a significant period of all our lives. why are you doing this over phone?

If I were your wife, I would never accept to marry over phone If this is the case, otherwise I have no idea what you mean.
The Islamic interpretation of marriage is somewhat different to the Christian one. (I am not saying one is better than the other, just that they are different).

Marriage in Islam is a state, rather like debt is a state in the West. You can marry, divorce and remarry with impunity. Marriage can take place for as short a a few days or even hours, to avoid accusations of prostitution:

http://www.budpar.go.id/page.php?ic=611&id=1211

The problem comes when we use the same word “marriage” for both categories.

When it is a lifelong commitment of love and mutual support it is clearly unwise to do so over the telephone. When it has a lesser meaning, then maybe it is ok.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 3:45 am
BE Enthusiast

INDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really nice

I never heard such a custom in muslim community . This custom should be specific to some countries.
I concur. I live in Indonesia, the most populous Muslim country, and have not heard of this practice. If it does occur, it must represent a very small of percentage of marriage occuring.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 3:53 am
BE Enthusiast

INDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really nice

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
The Islamic interpretation of marriage is somewhat different to the Christian one. (I am not saying one is better than the other, just that they are different).

Marriage in Islam is a state, rather like debt is a state in the West. You can marry, divorce and remarry with impunity. Marriage can take place for as short a a few days or even hours, to avoid accusations of prostitution:

When it is a lifelong commitment of love and mutual support it is clearly unwise to do so over the telephone. When it has a lesser meaning, then maybe it is ok.
This type of marriage is certainy prevalent in Indonesia. Lots of middle eastern tourist comes this country and then rent a villa and a wife for 3-6 months in a secluded village. A very comforting arrangement for the tourist. Once the holiday is near over, the couple will register a divorce.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

Mastiche has a brilliant futureMastiche has a brilliant futureMastiche has a brilliant futureMastiche has a brilliant futureMastiche has a brilliant futureMastiche has a brilliant futureMastiche has a brilliant futureMastiche has a brilliant future

Islamic Marriage does not provide any evidence of papers or signatures. I guess DIAC would not accept only an Islamic marriage. They will count it as a defacto releationship and that marriage ceremony would be an evidence.

Also, divorce does not provide any evidence as well. All these things are done by only spoken words.

You should get officially married under your country policy for DIAC to consider that it is an official marriage.

Last edited by Mastiche; Dec 10th 2009 at 6:19 am.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 8:29 am
Banned

azz017 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mechanical430
Thanks very much guys for your responces,

Actually I'm also not much aware how does that happen but I know several cases when guys did it and got visas for Canada. Actually I recently moved here and I want to avoid my visit to Pakistan just for the wedding (its one day trip) and after marriage, If my wife get visa after 6 months, I will have to revisit So was trying to aviod frequent visits. I think its a dubious case even in Islam (Well said by Les Mighalls) and I shouldn't take a chance. And as Mastiche mentioned, even my to-wife is not willing and she is of the opinion, that it's the most important and charming event of our life and why the hell are we going to do it on telephone... So it makes sense I guess

Thanks again for the replies and interest
valid reason but try to avoid it and enjoy the moments by putting yourself physically in...
Old Dec 10th 2009, 9:23 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

valid reason but try to avoid it and enjoy the moments by putting yourself physically in...
Weird thread. It is most certainly the case that DIAC accepts a marriage undertaken by proxy - "telephonic nikah" as you call it - wherever, as in Pakistan, it's a valid form of marriage. But it's critical that the parties have actually met as adults if you want to satisfy DIAC requirements.

Cheers, and khoda hafez,

George Lombard
Old Dec 10th 2009, 11:05 am
Banned

azz017 will become famous soon enough

Sometimes people use religious bonds and rules to pursue their personal interest and all that like u mentioned for impunity purposes etc.But its for sure that Islam(or any religion) does`t encourage such an attitude and Islam even forces couples to bridge their gaps and differences before finally opting for divorce.But its humans who sometimes mold rules for their own interest
anyways most of us are not sticking to the actual topic and ask"whether DIAC will accept such marriage or not?"don`t let our comments be offensive towards some specific religion or culture.
Peace out!
Old Dec 10th 2009, 10:58 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

"don`t let our comments be offensive towards some specific religion or culture.
Peace out!
I didn’t intend to be, and I don’t think I was “offensive towards some specific religion or culture.” If I inadvertently was offensive to Islam then I apologise.

On the other hand I have spent enough time in Islamic countries (UAE, Malaysia, Indonesia) and have sufficient good Muslim friends to understand the Islamic concept of marriage, and INDOAUS backed up my comments.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 5:24 am
Just Joined

mechanical430 will become famous soon enough

Thanks very much guys for your help, I would be leaving for next year for my wedding. So no need to further brainstorm on this issue

Have fun!