Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Telephonic Nikah (marriage) - acceptable by DIAC?

Telephonic Nikah (marriage) - acceptable by DIAC?

Old Dec 9th 2009, 3:58 am
Just Joined

mechanical430 will become famous soon enough
Default Telephonic Nikah (marriage) - acceptable by DIAC?

Hello All,

I believe most of you will not be aware of Telephonic marriages so anyone from Pakistan or who has experienced such situation, please help me. I recently moved here to Australia after my PR and now planning to have telephonic Nikah with my fiancé. Is it acceptable by DIAC? I got engaged with her last year and we have snaps available of our engagement so I think I can provide to DIAC as proof. What else may be required for it??

Thanks in advance,
Salman
Old Dec 9th 2009, 4:37 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Telephonic Nikah (marriage) - acceptable by DIAC?

I don't know the answer to your question. But can I ask, why would you want to get married over the telephone Surely I'm not the only one who thinks this is a bit crazy ?
Old Dec 9th 2009, 4:39 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mechanical430
Hello All,

I believe most of you will not be aware of Telephonic marriages so anyone from Pakistan or who has experienced such situation, please help me. I recently moved here to Australia after my PR and now planning to have telephonic Nikah with my fiancé. Is it acceptable by DIAC? I got engaged with her last year and we have snaps available of our engagement so I think I can provide to DIAC as proof. What else may be required for it??

Thanks in advance,
Salman
I'm guessing a little but I think DIAC might want a bit more proof of a relationship besides just photos from an engagement. Do you have anything else that proves you have even met?

Last edited by Pollyana; Dec 9th 2009 at 2:05 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

salman is an unknown quantity at this point

Wrong question to ask in this forum as most people are unaware of telephone marriages. Your best bet is to call DIAC.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 5:40 am
BE Enthusiast

muditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of light

Hello All,

Thanks in advance,
Salman
Whats a telephone marrage ?
Old Dec 9th 2009, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

khdmah is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear mechanical430;

If you are doing telephonic Nikkah then also you will be having the Nikkah Copy which will be their in your hometown so I am not sure but I think it will be acceptable by the DIAC
Because it is paper proof

Thanks
Old Dec 9th 2009, 9:01 am
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by asprilla
I don't know the answer to your question. But can I ask, why would you want to get married over the telephone Surely I'm not the only one who thinks this is a bit crazy ?
I'd imagine it's a cultural thing? Perhaps hard for westerners to understand but that doesn't make it crazy.

Last edited by PamE; Dec 9th 2009 at 9:05 am.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 9:10 am
Banned

azz017 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by muditha
Whats a telephone marrage ?
Its a custom in muslim community that if someone is abroad and cant ensure his presence during matrimony then they fulfill the requirements on phone(similer to saying "i do,i do,i do") using witnesses and necessary arrangements.Hope you understand now!its logical,it should be acceptable!

Last edited by azz017; Dec 9th 2009 at 9:19 am.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 10:07 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by salman
Wrong question to ask in this forum as most people are unaware of telephone marriages. Your best bet is to call DIAC.
I wouldn't bother phoning DIAC. The call centre operators are unlikely to know the answer to your question. The best bet is to discuss the situation with a MARA registered agent who has experience with this type of marriage.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

muditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by azz017
Its a custom in muslim community that if someone is abroad and cant ensure his presence during matrimony then they fulfill the requirements on phone(similer to saying "i do,i do,i do") using witnesses and necessary arrangements.Hope you understand now!its logical,it should be acceptable!
Thanx.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 10:51 am
Just Joined

Nealantra is an unknown quantity at this point

mechanical430,

I think your telephonic nikah should be acceptable as long as you support it with the marriage certificate that the Pakistani authorities will release to you... this would be your 'paper proof'. I know a few parties who have got visas on telephonic nikahs... although not to Australia. However, I am sure DIAC is aware of such marriages by now and must be geared towards it. All the best!

Old Dec 9th 2009, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Mastiche has a brilliant futureMastiche has a brilliant futureMastiche has a brilliant futureMastiche has a brilliant futureMastiche has a brilliant futureMastiche has a brilliant futureMastiche has a brilliant futureMastiche has a brilliant future

Hello All,

Thanks in advance,
Salman
Marriage is a significant period of all our lives. why are you doing this over phone?

If I were your wife, I would never accept to marry over phone If this is the case, otherwise I have no idea what you mean.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 11:41 am
Reg. Migration Agent

Les Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to behold

Dear Salman,

Notwithstanding that Nikah by telephone has been recognised by the Italian courts, it is my understanding that Nikah by telephone is not valid Nikah in Islam because it is a necessary condition for a valid contract of Nikah that at least two witnesses should be present at the time of the Nikah and should witness both offer and acceptance. This necessary condition cannot be fulfilled in a telephone conversation.

However, Nikah by proxy is valid Nikah and is recognised by DIAC provided Nikah by proxy is a valid form of Nikah in the country where the Nikah occured.

Regards,

Les
Old Dec 9th 2009, 1:33 pm
Banned

azz017 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Les Mighalls
Dear Salman,

Notwithstanding that Nikah by telephone has been recognised by the Italian courts, it is my understanding that Nikah by telephone is not valid Nikah in Islam because it is a necessary condition for a valid contract of Nikah that at least two witnesses should be present at the time of the Nikah and should witness both offer and acceptance. This necessary condition cannot be fulfilled in a telephone conversation.

However, Nikah by proxy is valid Nikah and is recognised by DIAC provided Nikah by proxy is a valid form of Nikah in the country where the Nikah occured.

Regards,

Les
well said!!!
Old Dec 9th 2009, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

Mastiche has a brilliant futureMastiche has a brilliant futureMastiche has a brilliant futureMastiche has a brilliant futureMastiche has a brilliant futureMastiche has a brilliant futureMastiche has a brilliant futureMastiche has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by azz017
I never heard such a custom in muslim community . This custom should be specific to some countries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.