Tax on capital

Old Aug 13th 2004, 10:57 am
Just Joined

digsee has a brilliant futuredigsee has a brilliant futuredigsee has a brilliant futuredigsee has a brilliant futuredigsee has a brilliant futuredigsee has a brilliant future
Default Tax on capital

Hi

I am planning on moving to Sydney for at least a year. I am selling my house and transferring some capital to Sydney in advance, the remainder will be left in my UK bank account.

I would like to know what will happen to this remaining capital - will I have to pay tax in Australia on the interest received even if it remains in the UK?

Thanks for any advice
Old Aug 13th 2004, 2:01 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tax on capital

Good question, we will be transferring capital also from the sale of our house when we finally reach that stage!

All advice welcome!
Old Aug 13th 2004, 4:44 pm

chris n will become famous soon enoughchris n will become famous soon enough

You will have to pay tax to someone!!!

It will depend, I would have thought, on where you reside for tax purposes (Australia or UK). If you are planning on at least a year I would assume that you pay tax to the Australian Govt. I would have thought (hoped!) that there would be a double tax agreement - i.e. you do not pay tax to both.

Chris
Old Aug 13th 2004, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

sylviacrt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by digsee
Hi

I am planning on moving to Sydney for at least a year. I am selling my house and transferring some capital to Sydney in advance, the remainder will be left in my UK bank account.

I would like to know what will happen to this remaining capital - will I have to pay tax in Australia on the interest received even if it remains in the UK?

Thanks for any advice
In understand this depends on when you start being a tax payer... this is the question I ask myself.
From the moment you are a tax payer, you are taxed on your world wide "income", no doubt.
There are financial consultant services around, I guess it would help asking for a good advice, before taking decisions...
By the way, there is a 'tax and money' forum in Gomatilda, you may want to check there.
Sylvia.