Taking children to Aus after exams

Old Feb 3rd 2008, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

BilboB is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Taking children to Aus after exams

We are looking at emigrating, through the RSMS visa, to Adelaide area. I have 2 step kids, 14 and 11 and I know there are hurdles to overcome like convincing the father to sign the affidavits allowing us to emigrate with the kids.

Before anyone jumps on us for destroying the kids relationship with their dad I have been reading Taking child from UK to Aus without 1 parent - Anyone got experience of this? on here and it has raised a lot of valid questions which my wife, the kids their dad and me all need to think about.

The question we have came up in conversation with the kids. Our oldest wants to finish school before going out to Oz, less than 18 months from now, but I would then be cutting it fine on the age side of things, plus the wife and I are desperate to be out there already!

Could we apply for the visa with all 4 of us, but then one stays behind to finish school before he comes out to join us? I would think he would have to come out with us to validate the visa, then return to the UK to finish school which adds cost, but sometimes you have to pay to get what you want.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

BilboB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Taking children to Aus after exams

Well that will teach me to read what is in front of me ... taken from this site ...

How long to validate your visa?

- Permanent visas granted offshore normally have a 'first entry date'. ALL family members must enter Australia by this date.

- The main applicant must enter Australia first (or at the same time as the rest of the family). The others must enter Australia after the main applicant and before the 'first entry date'. This is known as 'validating' the visa.

I'll go away and learn to look at things properly now!!
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 6:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BilboB
Well that will teach me to read what is in front of me ... taken from this site ...

How long to validate your visa?

- Permanent visas granted offshore normally have a 'first entry date'. ALL family members must enter Australia by this date.

- The main applicant must enter Australia first (or at the same time as the rest of the family). The others must enter Australia after the main applicant and before the 'first entry date'. This is known as 'validating' the visa.

I'll go away and learn to look at things properly now!!
Dont worry - you are forgiven.

Welcome to BE!
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 6:13 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BilboB
We are looking at emigrating, through the RSMS visa, to Adelaide area. I have 2 step kids, 14 and 11 and I know there are hurdles to overcome like convincing the father to sign the affidavits allowing us to emigrate with the kids.

Before anyone jumps on us for destroying the kids relationship with their dad I have been reading Taking child from UK to Aus without 1 parent - Anyone got experience of this? on here and it has raised a lot of valid questions which my wife, the kids their dad and me all need to think about.

The question we have came up in conversation with the kids. Our oldest wants to finish school before going out to Oz, less than 18 months from now, but I would then be cutting it fine on the age side of things, plus the wife and I are desperate to be out there already!

Could we apply for the visa with all 4 of us, but then one stays behind to finish school before he comes out to join us? I would think he would have to come out with us to validate the visa, then return to the UK to finish school which adds cost, but sometimes you have to pay to get what you want.
Possible to do. There are employment restrictions on RSMS, but no residence obligation applies to the family members. However father would still have to give consent to the migration, or there would need to be a court order.

Or maybe father doesn't have parental responsibility in the first place? That said, even if this is the case, if he has a good relationship with the children he would probably get it on application to the courts.

All that said, unless GCSEs are fairly close, it is often a better idea to get into the Australian school system as soon as possible. Is older child planning to finish education at 16?