Student visa's

Old Jun 7th 2008, 11:42 am
Just Joined

Numskull is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Student visa's

Originally Posted by shark bait
hi folks
start my boat building course in jan , but we are arriving on the Gold coast on 4/12/08
really looking forward to it.

was wondering how all you guys on the student visa route were getting on?
enjoying your courses?
everyone getting the 20 hours paid work in?

also anyone finished there course and got a job + pr ?

Hi,

Don't assume it is paid work. I am lucky i have got paid work, out of the other 14 in my class there is only three of us with PAID work experience the others do it because they need to clock hours.

Immigration says you Got to have at least 900 hours or you dont stay!! 900 hrs is about 10 months work at 20hrs during college and full time when college is off.

Plan for the worst and hope for the best!!

Good luck.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 8:25 am
Just Joined

anitblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdraper
We are meeting on Thursday 27th March @ 7pm ish.

Take J24 of the M1 onto the A50. Come off at J1 turning rght towards Long Eaton. About 200 yrds down this road is a pub called the Plank & Leggitt.

Hope you can make it.

Jo x
hi was thinking of doing the ame course as your OH on the goldcoast july 09, but i know it is a pretty hard course(the management bit), i have also been looking a doing welfare worker but i would have to travel to brisbane for that one.. My two sisters live on the goldcoast, one for 25 years and one for four years so my transition should be easier, i am sure they would help you out if you needed any help, just let me know.. if i decided on that course it would help because my brother-in-law is a pastrychef.. tina x
Old Jun 29th 2008, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

jdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud of

Hiya Tina

Thanks for the offer of help - may take you up on it.

Paul goes for his induction on Thursday and starts course on Monday. Will let you know how he gets on.

Good luck with your decision.

Jo
x
Old Jun 29th 2008, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

anitblue is an unknown quantity at this point

hi i see you live in benowa, my sis lives in molendinar, but shes moving in august to arundel hill.. my other sis lives in main beach, so pretty close really.PLEASE let me know what oh thinks of the course, has he ever worked in food before? cheers tina x
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

jdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud of

Hiya

No, he was a postman in England.

Will keep you posted (no pun intended!!!!)
Old Dec 25th 2008, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

zawil is an unknown quantity at this point

Im looking for carpentry course somewhere in south australia. actually i did find one but the clases strat on february 09. i cannot make it in that short time. does anyone know about carpentry college that course starts in the middle of the year?
Old Dec 30th 2008, 3:57 am
Lifestyle Development

balkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the rough

Do not want to put a dampener on things regarding Marine Construction (and other occupations) but one of our Hungarians was studying Marine Construction (he speaks fluent English and German, and is already a motor mechanic) but withdrew after one year.

He had work in Marine industry....think that fell off....and otherwise working in pizza place. Due to mixture of homesickness and looming economic issues he has returned to Hungary, and will look at resuming in a couple of years.....

My concern is that no one in Oz(especially TAFEs etc.) seems to understand the looming economic situation, and no one will know till end of first quarter in 2009, i.e. April when employment, housing etc. data comes out.

There are already predictions that resource states WA and QLD will hurt most, followed by NSW......
Old Dec 30th 2008, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

shark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant future

yeah , i heard the marine industry was suffering.
thats why i switched to horticulture.
fingers crossed i,ll get work .
Old Dec 31st 2008, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

Hi

I think we have been quite lucky. We have been out here since June on a Student Visa. We have all managed to get jobs (me in a hairdressers, Paul in a hotel and Andrew at a local games store) and have got in a lovely complex in a nice area.

Things are hard on the Student Visa but do not let things put you off if it is your dream.

Hope everyone has a good New Year!!!