Student visa question

Old Sep 6th 2005, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

TracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really nice
Default Student visa question

Hi,

I am going to Melbourne later this year on a student visa, once completed hope to apply for PR with my sister as sponsor and assurer (designated area). I have just seen on the Dept of Immigration website that the 2 year study rule can be modified where a 2 year course can be completed in 16 months. I have contacted my college (Chisholm TAFE) and they have advised me that they can arrange for me to "fastrack" my course in less than 2 years. Do you think this is acceptable with regards to this new rule.

I would be grateful for your advice.

Kind Regards

Tracy
Old Sep 6th 2005, 3:53 pm

orangestreet will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Student visa question

Dear Tracy,

There is a lot of misconception about the new 16 month rule. As how I understand it; your uni or TAFE in your scenario has to have a structure of three full time semesters per year as opposed to the traditional 2 semesters. Many universities still follow the 2 semester system. Which will mean that you have to study for the full two years (unless you arrive in Feb/March and finish 4 consecutive semesters ending in Nov of the following year, thereby comepleting two academic years).

The new rule now is *if* your university offers 3 full time internal semesters,per year, and you do it in such a way that you complete four full time semesters over a period of 16 months (minimum), you are said to have completed the two year requirement.

You have to keep in mind that some universities (like my uni) offer a summer semester, but is offered only externally, which will mean that it will not count towards your full-time load, hence not contributing to the fulfilment 4 semesters needed.

You should ask your Uni about what kind of a semester structure they follow and if it would be possible for you to study during summer 'on campus'. Bear in mind that most uni officers in admission have very little knowledge about these rules. So make sure you speak to the right person regarding this. You can mail me/PM me if you need further clarification. Will be glad to help you.

Cheers
Orange
Old Sep 6th 2005, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

TracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really nice

Originally Posted by orangestreet
Dear Tracy,

There is a lot of misconception about the new 16 month rule. As how I understand it; your uni or TAFE in your scenario has to have a structure of three full time semesters per year as opposed to the traditional 2 semesters. Many universities still follow the 2 semester system. Which will mean that you have to study for the full two years (unless you arrive in Feb/March and finish 4 consecutive semesters ending in Nov of the following year, thereby comepleting two academic years).

The new rule now is *if* your university offers 3 full time internal semesters,per year, and you do it in such a way that you complete four full time semesters over a period of 16 months (minimum), you are said to have completed the two year requirement.

You have to keep in mind that some universities (like my uni) offer a summer semester, but is offered only externally, which will mean that it will not count towards your full-time load, hence not contributing to the fulfilment 4 semesters needed.

You should ask your Uni about what kind of a semester structure they follow and if it would be possible for you to study during summer 'on campus'. Bear in mind that most uni officers in admission have very little knowledge about these rules. So make sure you speak to the right person regarding this. You can mail me/PM me if you need further clarification. Will be glad to help you.

Cheers
Orange
Hi Orange,

Thanks for your reply. I do agree the new ruling is a little vague. I have contacted the TAFE where I am enrolled to start a 2 year course in January and they have advised me that I can "fastrack" my course and complete it in less than 2 years but not sure if this is acceptable for immigration purposes. I may visit an immigration agent like Go matilda when I arrive in November just to try and clarify the new ruling.

Any advice you can give is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Tracy
Old Sep 8th 2005, 6:56 pm
Banned

PINOYAU is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TracyAnne
Hi Orange,

Thanks for your reply. I do agree the new ruling is a little vague. I have contacted the TAFE where I am enrolled to start a 2 year course in January and they have advised me that I can "fastrack" my course and complete it in less than 2 years but not sure if this is acceptable for immigration purposes. I may visit an immigration agent like Go matilda when I arrive in November just to try and clarify the new ruling.

Any advice you can give is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Tracy
If you are not careful you are likely to fastrack yourself on to the next plane home. The time to take professional advice is BEFORE you commit yourself to a course of action.

Westly Russell