Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Student Visa, PR application & possible Work Experience ?!

Student Visa, PR application & possible Work Experience ?!

Old Jun 20th 2006, 11:14 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future
Default Student Visa, PR application & possible Work Experience ?!

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyones heard anything new on the rumour about needing work experience along with your qualification before you can apply for PR ?

I'm currently in Australia on a student visa and personally have no worries about obtaining this work experience as long as I get a visa to do so, but what DOES worry me a tad is will I STILL have to pay for my children's education at State Schools while I obtain my work experience?

Thanks in advance for any info ...
Old Jun 20th 2006, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

mickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud of
Default Re: Student Visa, PR application & possible Work Experience ?!

Sorry Paul cant help on that one but just thought I would ask to wee how its all going with you, the mrs n kids. Give us an update on the lifestyle and has it been worth it.

Mick

PS Late drinker at the Northampton Meet just in case you forgot, from St Albans
Old Jun 20th 2006, 11:26 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mickagnew
Sorry Paul cant help on that one but just thought I would ask to wee how its all going with you, the mrs n kids. Give us an update on the lifestyle and has it been worth it.

Mick

PS Late drinker at the Northampton Meet just in case you forgot, from St Albans
Mick I'll PM you ...
Old Jun 20th 2006, 1:34 pm

orangestreet will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyones heard anything new on the rumour about needing work experience along with your qualification before you can apply for PR ?

I'm currently in Australia on a student visa and personally have no worries about obtaining this work experience as long as I get a visa to do so, but what DOES worry me a tad is will I STILL have to pay for my children's education at State Schools while I obtain my work experience?

Thanks in advance for any info ...
Hi Paul,

All indications point towards the fact that the expected changes for the overseas student category will not be implemented on the First Of July, at least. When are you expecting to complete your course ?

If and when the new rule is implemented, overseas students will still be a temporary residents in Australia - which means they will be denied all the benefits that permanent residents get. So that means no Medicare, no concession for travel for students (in NSW at least) and no centrelink assistance in searching jobs through their job network. Very unfortunate, I know.

Regards
Orange
Old Jun 20th 2006, 1:59 pm
Jessica Stooke

Recommendations have been made to that effect however no specifics or
implementation date have been announced. At the moment the only thing
you can do is check the DIMA website regularly.

Regarding school fees for your children - the "graduate" visa that you
will get will only be temporary so it is likely that you will still
need to pay school fees for your children. Each state has their own
policy though so best to check with the school.

--

--

--

Posted via http://www.mymigration.net

Old Jun 20th 2006, 8:54 pm
Account Closed

Hi and thanks for the replies.

I'm expecting to complete my course in July next year if all goes well.

I did read something from the Amanda Vanstone site about these rulings coming into effect in the 2nd part of this year and the 1st part of next year, but that was about it.

I've also read that the new visa will be for 18 months so am guessing that it'll be 12 - 18 months work experience that DIMIA will be after, but only a guess as I cannot find any definite info.

As I say I'm ok with gaining work experience, but with 2 teenage children in State school I think the extra $15 - $20k needed hasn't been allocated, but I suppose the gamble you take! ... we'll find it somehow!