Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

STILL VERY SPARKLY contributory parent visa thread part 3.

STILL VERY SPARKLY contributory parent visa thread part 3.

Old Dec 23rd 2009, 9:28 pm

sirmatt101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: STILL VERY SPARKLY contributory parent visa thread part 3.

Originally Posted by tlock
Hi Matt,

Congratulations on your visa grants.

Hopefully your wife will be well enough to travel soon.

We did the trip to NZ for our visa's in 2007 and thought you might find the tip we were given helpful.

If you want to avoid a long wait at the Australian Consulate arrive early (opens at 9am) as the waiting room fills up very quickly.
The Consulate is on the 7th floor. We arrived at 8.50am to find a few people were already waiting in the foyer for the lift. The lift for the 7th floor isn't available until 9am. As soon as we could we made our way up to the waiting room and by 9.30am had the precious visa's in our passports and at last were able to relax and just enjoy being tourists.
The waiting room was already filling up by the time we left.

Best of luck to you both. Tony
Cheers, a very useful tip that we will definitely make use of if/when we go.

Happy Xmas

Matt
Old Dec 24th 2009, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

gotnoidea is an unknown quantity at this point

Another RED star!

Visa grant letter was issued on Dec 22... just a few days after having paid for it in Paris. Turns out to be quite easy in the end... if you know what you're doing!

Now for visa evidencing - first available appointment is 6th Jan apparently. I guess even our friends in immigration need a bit of a holiday, but still a bit of a disappointment to have to wait so long.

What's that? - did i hear someone say "whinging pom"? or should it be "whinging pomme" coming from Paris? ...oh dear, best crack open another VB.

Best holiday wishes to all.

Rich
Old Dec 24th 2009, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

home alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nice

Originally Posted by gotnoidea
Another RED star!

Visa grant letter was issued on Dec 22... just a few days after having paid for it in Paris. Turns out to be quite easy in the end... if you know what you're doing!

Now for visa evidencing - first available appointment is 6th Jan apparently. I guess even our friends in immigration need a bit of a holiday, but still a bit of a disappointment to have to wait so long.

What's that? - did i hear someone say "whinging pom"? or should it be "whinging pomme" coming from Paris? ...oh dear, best crack open another VB.

Rich
CONGRATULATIONS

Best wishes for Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Old Dec 24th 2009, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

home alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nice

HAPPY CHRISTMAS
TO EVERYONE ON THE SPARKLY THREAD

BEST WISHES FOR THE NEW YEAR
Old Dec 24th 2009, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Vindy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by home alone
HAPPY CHRISTMAS
TO EVERYONE ON THE SPARKLY THREAD

BEST WISHES FOR THE NEW YEAR
I'll second that , a merry Chritmas for those who have got the best Christmas Present and all the very best at New Year to everybody on the timeline.
Thanks to every one who has contributed to this thread .

Good luck and Best wishes

Les & Babs
Old Dec 25th 2009, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

marian and ian burgess is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone on this wonderful forum. We have been in Sydney for 9 weeks now and could not be happier.
A shame it's a wet Christmas Day but at least the Roast Dinner with all the trimmings will be more enjoyable. We are both working in jobs we enjoy; I have just got a car as well as Ian's van and with the help of my Sat Nav (Here it is known as a GPS) I am enjoying driving around the lovely Northern Beaches area of Sydney. I would absolutely recommend it to anyone arriving in Sydney who is unsure of which location to start in.
Best wishes
Marian and Ian Burgess
Old Dec 26th 2009, 9:27 am

sandch is an unknown quantity at this point

That's good news Rich, a great start to 2010 for you!

We hope you all had a very Happy Christmas and best wishes for 2010 to all.
Old Dec 26th 2009, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

jmm100uk is an unknown quantity at this point

I second everyone else's good wishes for 2010 - especially for all those still waiting 'patiently' for the first signs of activity on their case. Just hang in there!
Old Dec 27th 2009, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by gotnoidea
Another RED star!

Rich
Congratulations , like you say it is so easy once you know what you are doing!!

Cheers

Matt

Last edited by sirmatt101; Dec 27th 2009 at 10:52 pm.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 10:49 pm

Heres hoping that everyone had a Great Xmas and will have an even Greater New Year.
From a very wet but warm Queensland. Still had Xmas day on the beach, it was a lovely sunny day!

Cheers

Matt
Old Dec 28th 2009, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sirmatt101
Heres hoping that everyone had a Great Xmas and will have an even Greater New Year.
From a very wet but warm Queensland. Still had Xmas day on the beach, it was a lovely sunny day!

Cheers

Matt
Christmas morning was passable, but its been raining since xmas afternoon in Sydney more or less. Still beats being snowed-in in Europe, so no complaints!

We had another update from Paris regarding the visa evidencing. Mum tried booking an appointment at the embassy, but on three separate occasions was told she did not need to bother going to the embassy as they could see the visa in the system electronically. i am certain that is wrong, so unfortunately its back to our CO to ask him to tell the embassy in Paris what they need to do. I guess they don't have too many PCVs out of Paris, but even so, its really frustrating to be stumped at this point.

Just hoping progress can be made during this short week. Trying not to whinge too much, so close now and we'll have a few decades of her company ahead of us, what's another few days matter?!

Rich
Old Dec 28th 2009, 11:30 pm
Just Joined

wasimmehr is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

Am a newbie on this thread. Acknowledgement for 173 visa received 22 Dec for my parents. I read somewhere that the number of places for parent migration visa had increased dramatically.... any chance this would speed up the process of getting a case officer from the currently existing ?16 months.

Parents are planning to come over in the meantime on a sponsored visitor visa for as long as possible. Have advised DIAC in their visitor visa application about the CPV application and that my intentions are to have my parents here in Oz for as long/as much as possible (legally) until we get the CPV.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

CHeers
Wasim
Old Dec 29th 2009, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by wasimmehr
Hi All,

Am a newbie on this thread. Acknowledgement for 173 visa received 22 Dec for my parents. I read somewhere that the number of places for parent migration visa had increased dramatically.... any chance this would speed up the process of getting a case officer from the currently existing ?16 months.

Parents are planning to come over in the meantime on a sponsored visitor visa for as long as possible. Have advised DIAC in their visitor visa application about the CPV application and that my intentions are to have my parents here in Oz for as long/as much as possible (legally) until we get the CPV.

CHeers
Wasim
Hi. Unfortunately it doesn't appear that the process has speeded up any since July 2009, in some cases it seems to have taken longer. If you go to
http://www.gainwave.co.uk/Page2.htm it will give you an idea of how fast/slow things are taking. You can also add your parents visa details by posting on here for sandchs attention, then you can follow their progress like the rest of us!

Cheers

Matt
Old Dec 29th 2009, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wasimmehr
Hi All,

CHeers
Wasim
I had mum over on the visitor visa for 12 months, we had to do a federal police check as she'd been here so long. Seems to be a fairly common thing to do. You can extend the stay longer than 12 months by exiting the country around 9 months, which then resets the visa so they can stay an extra 6 months (something like that, can't remember the detail as we messed it up). Close reading of the terms of the visa (and reading some other posts) - you should be able to work it out. When we applied for this visa we did not mention the PCV as far as i can remember.

Technically speaking you will need to be careful about meeting the terms of the visa - it is only meant to be a tourist visa and the intention must be primarily for tourist activities which can include visiting the family. I only say this as we were thinking of bringing mum back in on a simple 3 month electronic visa (after the 12 months had expired), but decided against it as we could not get anyone to advice that it would be a good thing to do, there was still the chance that an immigration officer would decide the purpose of the visit was to become a resident.

Hope that helps - welcome to the forum.

Rich
Old Dec 29th 2009, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

miscellaneous is an unknown quantity at this point

WOW Wasim and Rich, so glad Wasim you posed this question and for your reply Rich, as this is a similar situation that has arisen for me.

I have just recently sold my house, and have now been persuaded by my daughter, to apply for a years visitors visa, and do the waiting in Australia living with her, (on a so called extended holiday from March 2010) and pray my PR Visa comes through before the years visa is up. as I am hoping to have a case worker by the end of the year, having watched the timing of everyones progress on gainwave site. thanks to Steve.

Is there anything likely to thwart this plan??? and what pitfalls should I need to look out for??? As Matt suggested it is wise to register for a Medicare card, so do I need a travel insurance for this duration. I know I can do the medical out there, (not sure of the cost of this?) and I can do my police check before leaving the Uk, as I read from someone on this thread who kindly pointed out," it will still apply, as once one is in Australia, anything untoward is then put on their records."

Do I need to mention my application for PRV on the application for a years visa?. I now know from the forum it will be neccessary to go to NZ or Singapore to collect the PRV visa, as reading Matts saga has put me straight on that question.

I would be pleased of any advice on this plan, to be or not to be, that is the question?

Kind Regards
Elaine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.